1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty training query

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Merlyn11, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Merlyn11

Merlyn11 Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    I am potty training my 31 months old boy.He does tell me when he has to do and there is no accidents in nap time.So i have stopped using diapers and making him sleep without diapers at night also.But he is peeing on bed at night during sleep.I always make sure he has done potty before going to bed ,no or only less quantity of water atleast half an hour before bed time.Even after doing these precautions there is accident 4-5 days a week for a month now.He gets up then and says he did pee on bed .And this is disturbing our sleep as well.I tried to wake him up in between sleep to do potty but he doesnt do at that time..Do you have any suggestion how to forward with this issue?
    As he has stopped using diapers I dont want to put him on diapers again as it makes more confusion.Any suggestion other than going back on diapers?

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

During night there is a hormone in the body causing the decrease the amount of urine generated. You can notice that the morning urine is darker, ie concentrated. Usually this hormone starts to be generated when the child is about 2-3 years old but sometimes there is a delay.

I would go back to diapers at this point.

3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Get training pants. It isn't easy for them to control their urge in the night IMO. I have heard of friends who do not give any liquids 3-4 hours before bed time. To me this is not acceptable. And I have friends who wake their kids up around midnight for a wee.

My DD IS 3.5 and my priority is for her to sleep without a break. training pants (PUll-up pants?) come in very handy. She wears them just before bedtime - she can wear them herself. If she wakes up in the night, I've heard her to to the toilet by herself, pull the pants back on and go back to sleep. Some nights she has accidents but the pull-up training pants contain them. I'm not yet stressing about getting rid of those.

if uninterrupted sleep is your priority, I recommend this.

3 people like this.
  4. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

Hello Meryln,

Under the bedsheets keep plastic sheets or use quickdry sheets this will not damage ur bed. Also tell your kid that whenever he wants to pee in midnight he can wake you up. Atleast mentally he will be prepared to wake you up. Slowly he will get trained.

My kid will turn 3 next month but still she does potty in her pants. She known the place to do potty but still her mind is not listening and if i force then she cries a lot. Any suggestion do you have.

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I second guesswho; its probably best to get the training pants. meanwhile, you can continue taking him to the washroom once a night.

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Merlyn,
    hope all is well with your DS and you. Are you back in India?
    I would definitely go for the pull ups in the night. Don't worry, he is too young to get up and go use the rest room by himself. That skill will come. And eventually they stay dry all night long anyway. If you schedule a night waking pattern to pee then he may turn out like my almost teen DD who still wakes up at 1:00am to us the restroom and finds it hard to go back to sleep. Bitter experience tells me it's better to put him in a pull up. Staying dry is a developmental milestone that he will reach(some reach there sooner than the other).

1 person likes this.
  7. sonalpallavi

sonalpallavi Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,
    My son is 31 months old and I recently started night time potty training for him. Until 30 months, he used to sleep in diapers. I get him to pee before going to sleep, and in the first week of training I would just need to take him to toilet early morning. That kept him dry for the entire night. From the second week, he started throwing tantrums to go to toilet in early morning and had a few accidents on bed, so I started taking him once in middle of night as well, mostly around 2-3 AM which keeps him dry until late in morning , like until 8AM.
    Now the problem that I face is , every night when I take him to toilet, he cries a lot saying I don't want to pee, let me sleep. He doesn't like to even stand and makes a huge noise, resulting in loss of his as well as my sleep. Finally he does and I find that mostly his bladder is full only. Iam worried whether this break in sleep would cause any health issues for him?
    Many times , instead of taking him by myself, I asked him at different times in night whether he wants to pee. Every time he said no, and finally did on bed. So, I had to resort back to forcibly taking him.
    Also, at night , after the accidents in second week, I asked him will you wear diaper at night, you are wetting the bed. To that he responds in negative, not at all ready to wear.
    Also, my observation has been that when he used to wear diaper at night, he peed in it multiple times at night. I have a feeling that even though it absorbs the pee, still there must be a moist feeling that lead him to pee again and again. Because since I stopped diapers at night, never does he need to pee more than once at night.
    Need suggestions to handle the night time training.

8. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@sonalpallavi Night training are the most difficult ones. My DD was potty trained during day and nap times when she was 2yrs and Night time dry panties happened when she is 4yrs old. The thing is, its all hormonal and those hormones needs to trigger the kids to wake up and go pee. I had my DD on night diapers for all those years. One day she came to me and said I don't want diapers any more I would like to wear panties. I agreed and put her on panties and put a diaper on top of it to avoid the accidental bed wetting but she actually started to wake me up for night pee and was dry the whole time. We used diaper above panties for a week and now completely stopped that too.

I never believed in the concept of waking in the middle of night and taking her to toilet. That just messes with kids sleep and ours too. I knew she will outgrow diapers at one point and it did happen.

If your kid is not happy on diapers. Put his boxers on and tell him you will put diapers on top of it to avoid accidents. Hang in there he will eventually get it. This cannot be forced on any kid and every kid is different and take there time to be completely trained.

Good luck !

3 people like this.
  9. sonalpallavi

sonalpallavi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks @Chitravivek
    It seems I have to put him in diapers again for night time until he stays dry full night by himself.

1 person likes this.
  10. iamoscararean

iamoscararean New IL'ite

Hi Meryln, I am facing the same problem like you.