1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is your primary communicative language at home?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SGBV, Mar 19, 2015.

Which language do you communicate with your children?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2015.
  1. In my native language

40.0%
  2. In English

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. In both native language and English

53.3%
  4. In some other language as per the place I live

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a ton ladies for your wonderful insight on this regard.

My confusion started with my son's Pediatrician's advice when he was 1 yr old. He stated that kids should learn only one language first( be it English, native or regional). Once they mustered their thought process in one language, they can slowly start learning multiple languages at a time. So, he advised me to start with native language (as it is spoken at home widely) and teach other languages from age 3 on wards.

However, we mix English and French words with native language at home. The maids speak the other language, so my son picked up that language so quickly.

Now that, he goes to Preschool and learns English. He can read, write letters and communicate in English, though he is comfortable in other 2 languages than English. But I am sure, with this rate of grasping languages, he will be fluent in English by the time he enters School next yr.

My sister's DD speaks only English. Because of her, the entire family switched to English mode now. She finds it uncomfortable to communicate with my son who prefers native language- though he understands what his cousin speaks.

I am sure she will find it easy at the School and after certain years both kids will meet at one point (where both would learn all the languages).

But my question is about my Pead's advice and the thinking process of the kids?

Why it is said that Kids can think easily in one language, and thinking in impn at their early stage? Confused.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Most of us think in one language although we may know many languages.As a child I was exposed to 3 different languages but thought in English as it was the dominant language. Your paed might have opined that way to ensure that your son starts naming, thinking and communicating in some language as a start.Thats my guess.

The paeds here in US say the opposite. Expose the child to as many languages as possible which is not possible to the majority living here as they know only english. So they send the poor kids as young as 3 years old to language classes!
    See what happens when we stop speaking our native language. We not only lose the langauge but also the culture that it relates to.

As far as my kids go, my older one is fluent in our native tongue but is more fluent in English. I am also like that only :) My younger one tends to speak more english but I do as guesshoo does. Translate into mother tongue and maker her speak it again. However I cannot answer all the kids' queries in my mother tongue. I dont even know what dinosaur or multiplication is called in my mother tongue as I studied in English medium. So I switch to english when discussing technical stuff. I am multilingual. But I cannot use all the languages for all purposes. If I have to recite a recipe, my go to language is my mother tongue. For poetry and jokes it is another S.Indian language. All the rest is in English.

I have a couple of friends from Europe who are multilingual. Their thought process is similar.

The benefits of neural pathways that are built by learning multiple languages is many. So please have no second thoughts about talking to your kids in your language. Your kids will pick up English in no time just like you are picking up so many languages now :)

PS: I had no idea French was so widespread in Sri lanka, wasnt Sri Lanka a British colony too?

3. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

No language can give such comfortableness than mother tongue and outside of the home they speak in English and Hindi, as no choice. Of course it is important for professional career, they will learn it slowly, however as its part of their studies.

4. butterflyice

@lakso9, your DD sure seems to have a gift for language. Does she speak hindi? I find that German is a long-lost cousin of hindi/sanskrit. Do not know if that is the result of Aryan migration or Aryan invasion theory thinkingsmiley

How did she learn so many languages? Did you enrol her in classes at the temple or elsewhere?

@hrastro : Hats off to your son and to you for teaching him 4 languages so well. Puliku pirandhadhu poonai aaguma? ;)

2 people like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am glad to hear the other perspectives from you ladies. In fact, I must admit that I was so ignorant about this. I remember reading from somewhere about speech delays and having to grasp multiple languages in kids. I read it long before, and I don't remember exactly what was that discussion topic. Then this Pead gave an opinion along the same line. So, I madly concluded that I should not teach other langues, but just one - I preferred over the native as we all speak at home and almost wasted my LO's first 4 years.

Thank God, he got some opportunity to learn other language through the maid, and now English at his School. Now I am reading elsewhere extensively about what you all trying to convey. Yes, I am convinced that I must start conversing in English and French with my kids at home to enable them expose to multiple language skills.

I am also very clear about my DD's case, as she has just picked up some words of native language and English (through her bro and poems) and makes sentences at 18 months.

@Laks09, your angel impress me a lot.
    I think Arabic and Hindi has lot of similarities. Though I am not directly exposed to Hindi, but works with Pakistani cases who speak Urdu - which is almost similar to Hindi.
    I learnt Arabic and worked in MENA region for sometimes.

Not sure about German, but French is not that far from English. I love Spanish from their music. Also, I love to learn Russian languages too. Just that I hate all the chinese/thai and japanese languages and they never touch my hart no matter how hard I try.

I extensively visit BKK, for personal business matters, so knowing Thai would be definitely an advantage. But I dont seem to be getting it

1 person likes this.
  6. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @SGBV ,

This issue depends on your personal circumstances. The basic objective is to enable the child pick up that language which it is less likely to use.

I have been in different states in India due to my DH job. While my children were exposed to English and Hindi all over, I talked to them in native language at home. Thus, they could comfortably communicate with their cousins and elders of the extended family. Still whenever they speak, there is a secret chuckles in the family.
    As adults, they are happy that they can comfortably talk their mother tongue with confidence.

If you are living in your own native language area, it is better to speak with the children in English helping them acquire skills in an international language.

Children have enormous capacity to learn languages, much more than we adults have and normally think. So, do not worry about their capacity.

7. butterflyice

8. priya007

priya007 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Hw to change the slang... my son (6.5 yrs now)speaks in Maid slang- Tamil ( colloquial lang) bocos 3 yrs bk i hv put him in day care most of the helper staff use to speak in that slang.. i hv tried a lot and reduced but nt completely

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha... My son speaks as per cartoons, and it is so fun to hear him like this.

10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

@butterflyice
    ha ha ha thanx!!! he is definitely a tiger in languages and reading !! He cant pass a signboard without reading ! And has a very advanced vocabulary!

Would like to improve his writing skills too now - better expression and better formatting !

BTW, modern historians have totally debunked AIT (Aryan Invasion Theory) - It has been disproved emphatically !!
    It is no longer politically correct to mention it - mainly because it was started by Britishers who thought that superior race could only come from the west, also it divided Indians into north-south, Aryan-dravidian, superior-inferior, hindi-antihindi very effectively, thus furthering their "divide and rule" policy!
    If you're interested -
    http://koenraadelst.bharatvani.org/articles/aid/aryanpolitics.html
    http://www.stephen-knapp.com/solid_evidence_debunking_aryan_invasion.htm

Today I read somewhere - why are westerners "expats" when they move to other countries and why are we called immigrants (politely called highly qualified but still immigrants) when we move to their countries!

4 people like this.