1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cooks Cooking

Discussion in 'Indians in Jersey City' started by vbhatt, Jun 30, 2008.

1. vbhatt

vbhatt New IL'ite

Hi

I have heard from people that there are many Indian lady cooks who come to your home to cook ...like you buy your own grocery but they just come & cook ...
    Has anyone tried it as I am looking at trying this when I get pregnant as there wont be much support system...please let me know abt any one you folks know off !

Thanks !

Vyoma

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

In the bay area, the going rate for aunties who come and cook a week's worth of food is around $15 per hour. You can find their listings on sulekha.com

3. cheers_sunray

cheers_sunray Senior IL'ite

Hi Vyoma,
    When I got married 2 yrs back, in my in laws home a cook was already working.She continued for almost 1 yr after my wedding.And even recently also I employed a cook for 1 month when I was pregnant but as I lost my preg I discontinued her....
    So let me tell u my 2 experiences with the cooks.........
    First one used to cook well but the prob was she had many emotional issues at home and whenever she had a fight with her husband the effect was shown in the cooking.The more she had problems at her home the more food used to get spoiled and it landed in the dustbin........
    The other concerned issue is we need to do constant monitoring.I used feel like instead of monitoring her I could have cooked in that time...If u don't monitor the cooks may not do their work properly.This is truly my opinion only!
    U also need to have good storage of groceries and vegetables.My second cook used to always ask me this s not there that is not there.I was pregnant then and I couldn't go out to get all those and my Husband was free only on weekends.The main issue is they cant manage like we do without few things like onions,garlic..........
    Another issue with any cooks is the taste.I bet no one can cook the way u are habituated.......The taste is subjective to one person and I have bitter experiences with this.The way my mother in law or me cooks , the cook doesn't do and my father in law and my husband never used to like it.even some items like Pulkas ,my mother in law used to amke even we had a cook.

My only advise for you is you need to think twice and discuss with your family members and then take a decision.

4. vbhatt

vbhatt New IL'ite

I want someone to come to cook in Jersey City / Manhattan to cook at home !

5. vbhatt

vbhatt New IL'ite

Thanks for your feedback and ya when I was in India at both my parents place and at my in laws place we had cook but i am now here in Jersey city so I thinking of appointing a lady to do the cooking at home !

Thanks once again !