minute mistakes.. Big difference

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Luvpavi, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

I am not a great cook to give tips to others. But I want to share the things that I learnt from my personal experience. I can safely say that now (after a few years of trial and error post marriage) all the authentic (south Indian traditional) recipes turn out pretty well for me. Thanks to my mom! I just blindly follow her recipe. I am now learning to cook a variety of dishes mainly for my baby boy. He is only 4.5 months now but I want him to enjoy a variety of healthy, tasty food as he grows up. I am now enthusiastically visiting various cooking blogs and learning. Okay enough about me. Let me come to the point :)

1. As Shanvy said, always do tadka at the end for sambar, rasam and chutneys and stir it just before eating. It sure improves the taste and presentation.

2. Do not boil rasam. I did that mistake for several months until my sister (younger sister bong) pointed out. You have to switch it off while you see the frosting. Before, all types of rasams (pepper, lemon, garlic etc) would taste exactly the same. It took time for me to realize what I did wrong.

3. There is a saying which my mom quotes often 'Annam kettal einthum kettathu' meaning that even if the side dishes/gravy turn out excellent it is of no use when rice is not cooked perfectly. I personally experienced this when I cooked biryani for the first time. I used pressure cooker then. I did everything right in terms of adding the spices (the aroma was heavenly and filled the whole house) but it was a total flop since the basmathi rice was overcooked and turned out mushy. So, always be careful with rice (this is a trivial thing for experts; but sure an important tip for beginners IMO). Rice cooker became my life saver. It perfectly cooks the rice as long as you add right amount of water. No need to worry about the number of whistles, whether the gasket need to replaced, should the flame be medium/low/high etc. Works well for beginners.

4. Do overdo in terms of adding masala. When I just started cooking I used to add a lot of spices (like sambar powder, garam masala, coriander powder etc) to all the dishes thinking that it will improve the taste. But it rather suppressed the originality of the dish. Spices should complement the dish but not suppress the taste of the main ingredient. For example, when I prepared dhal/veg based dishes, the taste of dhal/veg was not felt primarily when I added more than required amount of masala.

5. Do not try out entirely new dishes during the most important meal i.e. when your DH would be hungry after long days' work/during weekends etc. Always try only one new dish at a time. The idea is to have something else as well just in case the new dish didn’t turn out well.

6. This is one of the most important points. Try to prepare dishes (like sambar, rasam, any kulambu/gravy etc) with homemade masala powder. This gives a nice aroma and great taste. Also homemade idly powder tastes great. Having said that, I use store bought masala powders too at times. But I always try to make these powders in batches (to be used for a month) during weekends and store it. I cannot prepare large quantities as mom used to in India since we cannot find mills to grind in US. Even these small batches of masala prepared at home taste great.

7. Also I read in most food blogs that it is best if we do not add any water while grinding batter for methu vada. This did not work for me. No water resulted in hard vada and more water did not give the perfect vada shape while consuming too much oil. I figured (after my mom pointed out) that I have to add enough water little by little while grinding. This is how my mom got perfect crispy outer and soft inside methu vada. And finally I too did it!!! :)

8. Some dishes taste great in iron/steel utensils rather than non-stick. For example, I found that adai and kuzhi paniyaram taste great in iron pan rather than a non-stick pan. I am not sure though if it is just me or others too feel the same way. On the other way non-stick works great for some dishes like veg stir fry (need to use only less oil) and other dishes that could stick to the pan like kali etc. So use it with discretion.

9. Better ingredients better taste. So, always try to use fresh ingredients. It is easy to get fresh items in India. Being in US, I especially am unhappy with frozen coconut. Even though it does a decent job nothing like fresh coconut :)

10. Last but not the least, focus on presentation. Trust me, it goes a long way. I invested in plates and serving bowls (different sizes and different designs) that can be used for tiffin, snacks and main course dishes. Once I am done cooking I transfer it to the appropriate serving bowl and keep it in the dining table before calling my DH. He very much likes and appreciates this. Also when I cook a platter for tiffin/lunch, I promptly arrange that in the large plate with small bowls in it like how they serve in restaurants. Nice presentation makes even a simple menu interesting. However it sure comes with extra chore of washing these extra vessels bong!

That’s all I could remember for now. All the best!!

2. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Correction: I meant don't overdo in terms of adding masala in point 4.

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@luvpavi
    This had me smiling on a rather hard day at work so had to share ...
    Wont happen..no matter how u cook you will remain the bestest cook for ur little one..

My mom and MIL are excellent cooks and well known for their culinary talents in their circles. I learnt early and well there was no point in competing .
    This summer however when my boys visited their patti (grandmom my mom )she served rasam and couldn't resist asking.."Is this as good as ur moms ?"
    Pat came the reply from the boys " Patti..its ok said one ..pretty good said the other ..but not as good as ammas finshed the last one...sorry patti"
    :)

I am tracking the thread as well for some lovely tips..
    Ghee tadka for rasam spot on ..infact I add a dollop of ghee for all kalanda sadams just before serving . Lots of curry leaves and Coriander..herbs ..make a lot of difference.

4. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

You made my day kneesmiley
    So now i am happy to experiment all new stuffs and create my own signature...

1 person likes this.
  5. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am following this thread too..:wave

6. drnamshara

drnamshara Gold IL'ite

Hi

I have just started cooking on my own since 8 months. Each day was learning.
    Have a shelf dedicated to cook books and recipe diaries as I tend to forget soon! :D

1. I started adding Ajwain/Carom seeds in chapati...
    It started tasting so awesome that I now cant do chapati without ajwain! DH loves them too!!
    They enhance taste of many other dishes as well!

2. Chapatis used to turn out and become papad! :p
    Then i learnt to knead well with little warm milk and leave for ATLEAST 3 hours for softest chapatis.

3. While flattening the dough I had not until last month got the ball size properly! As I have a tiny rolling board it would jet out here and there and be thick one end thin one end and horribly shaped!
    Then I realized, even in "Mast Kalandar" the roti is of lesser diameter!! :p
    Then why make huge ones and mess it!! Now my rotis are tiny and even!

4. Upma: I always dreaded this dish as MIL was an Upma expert
    and I just could not NOT mess it EVVVVRY single time and get abused from her week after week!!!
    HOW MANY TIME TO TEACH YOU She would yell gigglingsmiley
    I started getting shivers at the thought of Upma! UPMAPHOBIA! :D

My aunt thought me her technique and DH is bowled over by my Upmas now!!!

Whatever veggies i add to the Upma, as I start heating the water I add 1 spoon rasam powder and one spoon Sambar powder till the water boils for a min or 2 and then add the roasted rawa.
    High Class Taste. And awesome color.
    After having mixed up the rawa well then i add a tbsp of ghee on top, close the lid and leave it in Sim for 3 more mins.
    Yumm!! I finally conquered this dish! :)

All the best!

blessings1010 and preethiitech like this.
  7. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

Hi drnamshara,

Welcome to the thread...

I never knew there were soo many secret tips behind making a soft chapathi.. Thank you soo much.
    Adding milk to the chapathi dough :yes:

I'll try it for sure next time...

And the way you described making of upma, vowww, its just mouth watering. Sure your husband will be very happy with ur cooking.

Rasam and sambar powder i am hearing it for the first time. But sure will give it a try. Thank you for the very useful tips. This is the real secret recipe... :shhh:

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I luv cooking and I like my children to eat traditional food .

My trick is I make most masala powders at home , no ready made powders for me . I make cumin, coriander , garam masala everything at home and in small quantities . I make own ginger garlic paste too. The freshness and taste is very different when compared with store bought ones .

My my husband belongs to a different state and what I leant
    is there is no overpowering of masalas in thier side of food , you can taste the actual vegetable , which is very good .

I learnt not too add every masala in every vegitable . It takes some practice to know what tastes better with which vegitable .

My only problem is I fail at bread making , I am still waiting for the day when I can make perfect home made bread

1 person likes this.
  9. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

Hello,

Nice to see ur post.

If you share few tips on which masala to use for which veggie, it will be useful to many of us here..

Thanks in advance

1 person likes this.
  10. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Hi armummy - for bread making, google for Jamie Oliver's pizza dough. It gives fairly good bread. I make pizza buns as well garlic bread from it.

It would be interesting to know which vegetables with which specific masala combo are you saying. Please share with us.