1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

what do you do to control friz?

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by vidhukumar, Jun 28, 2008.

1. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hey ladies,
    what products do you use to control frizzy hair?i have wavy hair&am ok with the way it is except for the frizz....i dont want to do any exotic styles....just want to leave it the natural way but cant stand the frizzy texture...it has become worse recently after marriage....when i college i used to leave my hair open most of the time but now dont feel like due to the frizz....any ideas?

2. Serenity_John

Serenity_John Bronze IL'ite

Hi!

There might be several reasons and still more advices for frizzy hair.

Reasons could include weather, length of hair, type of haircut, shampoo and conditioner, brushing, heat appliances, harsh chemicals, towel rubbing, lack of moisture etc.

As for controlling frizzy hair, here's are some tips:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script><iframe name="google_ads_frame" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0117370486012974&dt=1214614130713&lmt=1214612141&prev_slotnames=3669715898%2C7260287512&output=html&slotname=9061600884&correlator=1214614130628&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beauty-advices.com%2Fhow-to-control-frizzy-hair-and-how-to-treat-frizzy-hair-properly%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dfrizzy%2Bhair%2Bcontrol%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26aq%3Dt%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial%26client%3Dfirefox-a&frm=0&ga_vid=4019787259857187300.1214614131&ga_sid=1214614131&ga_hid=1600888341&flash=9.0.124&u_h=720&u_w=1280&u_ah=690&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-240&u_his=2&u_java=true&u_nplug=26&u_nmime=109" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="600" scrolling="no" width="160"></iframe> [​IMG]
    Frizzy hair can be a big problem especially for those with curly hair and is among the biggest style spoilers. Frizzy hair is often a result of a dehydrated cortex (the inner layer of the hair shaft). Frizzy hair can be caused by many things: from lack of moisture to applying too much styling products. Fortunately there are a few simple things you can do to tame your frizzy hair and too keep it under control. Taking a proper care of your hair, using de-frizz products and following these simple steps will keep your hair healthy-looking and will ensure your hair always looks its best. WHAT CAUSES FRIZZY HAIR:The most common cause of frizzy hair is moisture deficiency. If you don??�t take a proper care of your hair it can become porous and can lose its ability to retain its natural moisture. Just like your skin, your hair needs moisture too, in order to look and feel healthy and beautiful. That??�s why using a moisturizing and nourishing shampoo and conditioner is essential.
    Chemically treated hair often looks frizzy. If you color, bleach and perm your hair frequently you may seriously damage it, causing dryness, split ends and frizziness. Chemical treatments deplete the hair of its natural moisture which usually leads to damaged and dry hair.
    Frequent usage of heat appliances can also lead to frizzy hair. Constant straightening or curling your hair with a curling iron or with a flat iron damage the hair shaft and contribute to the problem of frizz, especially if you don??�t use a heat protecting product. Blow-drying your hair every day is more likely to cause frizziness and split ends even if you use a protective product.
    Another cause of frizzy hair is using improper [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]hair [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]care [/FONT][/color][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]products[/FONT][/color][/FONT][/color][/color] for your hair type and for your hair needs. For example if your shampoo is too harsh it can cause dry hair, split ends, frizzy hair and even [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]dandruff[/FONT][/FONT][/color][/color]. If your hair is prone to frizziness you should use a moisturizing shampoo that is appropriate for your hair type. Your conditioner should also be moisturizing, containing more natural ingredients ??� honey, chamomile. Frequent washing of your hair can also lead to frizzy hair because you will strip your hair of its natural oils.
    Frizzy hair may also be a result of stress, illness, lack of essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids and poor diet. Recent studies show that some medicines and hair care products can also contribute to frizzy hair, such as oil-based conditioners, relaxers, gels, mousses, foams. Frizziness may also be hereditary ??� if your mother is prone to frizzing you are more likely to have a frizzy hair too.
    High humidity also causes frizzy hair, making your hair look frizzy even after a few minutes being outdoors. Exposure to humidity in the climate can cause coarseness and damage to the hair, because your hair absorbs water through the cuticles, causing it to revert back and become kinky looking. Using an anti-frizz product before going out may help you, since these products provide excellent protection from humidity.
    Brushing wet hair with a plastic [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]hair [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]brush[/FONT][/color][/FONT][/color][/color] combined with touching your hair too often may also cause frizzi.
    HOW TO TREAT AND TAME FRIZZY HAIR PROPERLY:
    • The most important thing in treating frizzy hair is to use appropriate hair care products for your hair. Your best choice will be a moisturizing shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner. A good shampoo will cleanse your hair well and will keep your hair well-moisturized and healthy-looking. These shampoos contain more moisturizing and nourishing ingredients that intensely hydrate and restore the hair as they seal in moisture, restore shine and manageability. If your hair is prone to frizzing you shouldn??�t wash your hair every day as doing so can damage and dry it even more. Washing your hair twice a week should be enough to keep it clean and healthy-looking. Rinse your hair with cold water after the conditioner to lock down the cuticles and prevent frizzing. :exactly:
    • Cream conditioners work best in controlling frizzy hair ??� they help repair damaged cuticles, improve elasticity and the general appearance of your hair. Apply the conditioner every time you wash your hair and leave it on for a few minutes to penetrate deeply into the hair. Leave in conditioners are also good in controlling frizziness as they rehydrate the hair during the day. Don??�t use oil-based conditioners because they can contribute to frizz. :exactly:
    • Apply a hair mask once or twice a week to condition and nourish your hair. Look for a moisturizing and nourishing hair mask containing natural ingredients and apply the mask generously to the hair, concentrating on the ends. Leave the mask on for approximately 10/ 15 minutes and rinse it thoroughly.
    • Doing a deep conditioning treatment once or twice a month is the best way to tame frizzing. A deep-conditioning treatment will restore and repair your hair, making it smooth, soft and well-hydrated.
    • Limit blow-drying your hair to once or twice a week because frequent blow-drying, curling or straightening your hair can seriously damage your hair and cause frizzing, especially if you don??�t use a heat protecting product. Never run the dryer over the hair up and down as doing so may cause split ends and frizzing. Choice a ionic blow-dryer as it??�s less damaging.:exactly:
    • Style your hair with silicone-based products but never apply too much as it can make your hair look greasy, dirty and can make it frizz even more. There are some great de-frizz (anti-frizz) creams, serums, gels on the market that reduce frizzing. Apply the product only over the problem areas of your hair and distribute it evenly. The de-frizzing products remove frizz permanently and restore the shine of the hair, providing protection against humidity. They can be applied on wet or dry hair.
    • Never brush your hair if it??�s prone to frizzing even if your hair is straight. Instead use a wide-toothed comb to style your hair. Using hair brush may cause split ends and can make your hair frizz even more.:exactly:
    • Use pomade, designed for curly hair to tame frizzing and apply only a small amount, spreading it evenly throughout the hair. Apply the pomade on slightly damp hair and allow it to dry before styling your hair.
    • Get your hair trimmed regularly to prevent split ends and frizz. A good hair cut can tone-down frizz.:exactly:
    • It??�s better to let your hair dry naturally ??� don??�t use blow-dryer and don??�t run your hair with a towel.:exactly:
    • Use products especially designed for your hair type.:exactly:
    • Look for products containing moisturizing agents, vitamin E, [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Aloe [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Vera[/FONT][/color][/FONT][/color][/color], honey, chamomile, olive oil, panthenol and glycerin.:exactly:
    • Always apply de-frizz products before styling your hair.
    http://www.beauty-advices.com/how-to-control-frizzy-hair-and-how-to-treat-frizzy-hair-properly/

I strongly suggest the tips which I mark with ":exactly:" from personal experience though.

Other tips from my personal experience would be:
    --Use moisturizing conditioner that's free of Sodium Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulfate, or Ammonium Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulfate since they are actually ingredients usually used in cleaning dishes or household things and thus too harsh for wavy or curly hair women. Try to stick with organic hair products or at least the hair products that are especially designed for wavy or curly hair (wavy hair is usually curly hair actually but when curly hair is weighed down by the weight of the length of the hair--it appears wavy).

My recommendation would be: Giovanni hair shampoo and conditioner.

--DO NOT RUB UR HAIR WITH TOWEL when drying wet hair. It contributes SOOO much frizz that even if you let it dry naturally or even use serums, etc to tame it--it would not be at all tamed

So better way to dry hair would be to take thin towels or even paper towels and gently blot hair as if it's a newborn baby's skin. After blotting, gently style hair with fingers to the way you want it (you can add some straightening serums, or pomades to control better too) and LEAVE IT. DO NOT TOUCH DRYING HAIR TILL IT DRIES COMPLETELY--NOT EVEN WITH FINGERS!!!

After air drying it naturally, you can see the difference yourself too.

--If you want to leave your hair open, then go to a salon and get a good haircut that can help you leave your hair open and control frizz too.

I wanted to leave my curly hair open and tried many products to achieve a frizz-free look--DIDN'T HAPPEN!

It was not until I got my long hair cut in a long style that is recommended by the hairstylist (after a good informative consultation), I can finally leave my hair open and pull it off. Now the hair curls as I want with half the effort as I put in before. Now my hair is still the same length as before except for a slight angle off the hairs on the side (almost like a layer cut or v cut but not quite).

For your hair though, it is better to research the kind of hair style you want and the kind of hairstyle that looks good for your face shape, and take pictures of models that have the hair style/cut you want and show to the hairstylist and consider his/her opinion and suggestions greatly before getting a great haircut that helps your hair.

These are the main tips I can give personally.

Good luck! :D

Sere

PS: You shouldn't wash (even with/without shampoo and/or conditioner) your hair more than 2-3 times a week because it will take off the moisture from hair and make it more prone to frizz.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  3. pink_angel

pink_angel Senior IL'ite

Vidya,

Even I have curly hair and my hair gets frizzed very soon. To avoid friz use a good shampoo and conditioner and use garnier fructise sleek and shine anti friz serum. jut put a quarter sized amount on your palms and apply on damp hair.
    It works wonders for me.
    Good luck!

4. 10shwetha

10shwetha New IL'ite

Hey all girls and guys out there....
    Please please DO NOT use any of these Serum or anything of that sort to make your hair soft / silky / straight or whatever....
    I used to have so thick hair (that you cannot hold my hair with one hand - any girl wud love to have), as my hair was dry and frizzy i was advised by a beutician (in Mumbai) to use a Garnier Serum. In just 3 months my hair got softened and looked more manageable BUT i lost half of my volume... - It leads to so much Hair Fall.. I didnt notice it or recognise that it was becoz of Garnier products (was using Garnier Fructis shampoo too) ... I thot that hair fall was becoz i moved from Mumbai to Chennai and due to some harmone problems.. After i stopped using Garnier, my hair became Frizzy again. When i consulted a doctor in Chennai, i was advised to stop it completely... And I did see a difference - hair fall has stopped tremendously. But now, all i need to do is wash my hair twice a week with the mildest of shampoos (even J&J baby shampoo is fine) and oil it (pure plain coconut oli) regularly.

Taking my advise is upto you... I experienced it hence shared this with you...
    Just a small example that you can look for yourself on screen... Take any of these bollywood or kollywood actress (sushmits sen, aishwarya, simran ...) compare their first few movies to the recent ones and see the amount of hair loss they have had due to continous styling, straightning, applying creams, dying and other stuff... I dont deny the fact that there are other reasons in conjunction with it but not for all of them right- Just logic!

5. Serenity_John

Serenity_John Bronze IL'ite

That is true too.

I was a garnier fructis fan and used to use their products but then my hair did become manageable but I lost lot of hair though.

So, I switched to organic products like giovanni products since they are free of harsh chemicals (unlike garnier).

So, I also recommend either organic or natural products VERY much.

Good luck,
    Sere :D

6. Asha25

Asha25 Senior IL'ite

I sometimes get frizzy hair to but mine is cause it needs moisture. I use molasses or honey mixed with conditioner and some oils and apply an or so before head bath and shampoo condition hair. It helps alot for my hairs in controlling them. Applying coconut oil while hair is drying is good for that as well.

7. mrsbiju

mrsbiju New IL'ite

thanks for sharing!

8. kashvya

kashvya Silver IL'ite

Does any one have any ideas about anti frizz organic products in India?

9. geenabaskar

geenabaskar New IL'ite

Hi Kashvya,

I know this reply is too late, still if u happen too see this, it maybe helpful to you.
    I'm having dry and damaged hair. I found Giovanni shampoo free of Parabens and SLS. This Giovanni shampoo is available in all the health and glow outlets in India. I'm using this shampoo'recently.

Thanks
    Geena