1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Eleven months old doesnt prefer solids :((

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by brindhaaa, Mar 1, 2015.

1. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends

Every time i try to feed solid food he doesnt open his mouth ,but opens his mouth wide to drink water i offer .. He was a very good eater and for the past two months day by day his intake is getting reduced. Tried to feed him variety of food, he is not interested .. dont know what is the problem.. Checked with my pediatrician , he checked and said he couldnt see any problem .. but wondering why this change..

Did anyone experienced similar problem ,baby prefering liquids than solids at this stage .. iam worried how long this phase is going to continue..

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Have you been pureeing his food. If so try textured food. Kids sometime hate puréed at that age. Also try offering bite size pieces in hand that might interest him too. They go thru these phases. Don't worry.

3. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Hmm... i tried textured food too.he sometimes takes , sometimes 4 or 5 mouths thats it .. He was eating idli with curd in the morning for breakfast ...now not even a single bite ... i have a doubt , i was giving ragi with wheat porridge earlier ,now for the past one month or more iam giving " Sathu mavu kanji" .. is that a problem, was it not digesting ???? Is that the reason why is not having solid food ?

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

He might be teething. When babies get their teeth, solid intake reduces. If he is drinking BM/FM then it should not be a problem.

5. ranishivakrishn

ranishivakrishn New IL'ite

hi.....my son is also 11 months old......i was trying to feed him rice with dal and curd...he will open his mouth only for the first bite.....and afterwards he holds his mouth tightly..then i used to feed him the same by purying it in a blender to a semi solid consistency..and after few days i reduced the liquid consistency and introduced some what tight puree of rice and dal...like wise now his some what willing to eat...but not completely..i think it takes few more days to get habituated to solid foods...and also in this summer my baby also drinking plenty of water and milk frequently.....

6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

My kids now in teens grew up with Mannas health mix. Not sure of the qty u use. It could just be teething issue or maybe a phase. Slowly increase 5 mouthfuls to 7 etc. if kids are used to purée foods it will take a while for solid transition. Try introducing finger foods, chewable baby foods etc. sometimes try giving from your plate and it may attract him.

7. ranishivakrishn

ranishivakrishn New IL'ite

offer your baby while you eating.....it may work

8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Try to eat the meals together, put some food on his plate and let him eat by hand. Give him a spoon to hold. It will be a mess but kids usually like to eat with the rest of the family and imitate.

9. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot everyone .. He likes to drink lots of water when i try to feed him solids .Till now iam giving him water ,only when i give him solids .. is that fine ? or should i give him frequently ? He is on formula 5 oz per feed , 4 times in a day .. normally is there any amount of water that needs to be given to the baby on a daily basis?

Teething ...iam not able to see anything out visibly...keeping fingers crossed.. IF this is a phase iam ok but iam worried whether he will become a fussy eater ..

We mothers just cant concentrate on anything when kids doesnt eat/sleep properly ..

He is very active otherwise and his weight is also above average for his age ..

10. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

Does he take finger food?.. May be try making some stories around solid food, start with the food he would love. Eating solids assists the strengthening of jaws, gums and putting toungue in different angles. Good luck.