1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

tupperware /plastic or silverware???

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by nikkimom83, Mar 1, 2015.

1. nikkimom83

nikkimom83 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for ur reply abitha .. The only disadvantage in ss is we cant see what is inside the container .. everytime we have to open and chk .. Thats the problem .. how do u deal with that.. I thought i can make it a mark using the machine they do in the shop and write the names over that .. But would tht be nice and practical ?. I jus checked online about the princeware 30 pcs set . Its availing in offer price and looks attractive .. jus checking few more..

2. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

If you buy any plastic items pl. follow this

For storage container you can use either PET or Polypropylene container at the bottom of the container you can see the recycle symbol (three arrow mark in triangle in shap ) at the center it is embossed as 1 for PET and 5 for Polypropylene. we can use Polypropylene for Micro oven always prefer to use transparent or colour less plastics.

Try to use Mud vessels this is healthy once you habituated you will never like non stick epoxy coated vessels.

3. ChillySnow

ChillySnow New IL'ite

Hi Nikki,

I suggest you for tupperware. Its a air tight container and all the groceries will be fresh. It can be neatly arranged and occupies only less place.

Even replacement of tupperware is also available if there is any damage even after some yrs.

Only disadvantage is its very expensive.

4. nikkimom83

nikkimom83 Silver IL'ite

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You won't get discount in any other way .

6. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

7. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Hi nikkimom83,

I liked the idea of mirror finish see through canisters mentioned above.but still I had so many ss boxes(got from my mil and mom) and donot want to purchase new ones

If labeling is one that stops using ss .Please use any of the ideas mentioned below

1. Use a permanent marker (though permanent marker , u can wipe it if u scrub it hard)

2. use kitchen labels (check out some samples in google).Sample below

Pretty Up Your Pantry

3. Use nail polish to label

4. use bindhis (small ones). Though it may not be permanent

5. Use school labels (means stickers we use for notebooks as u have adhesive behind them). while cleaning use nail polish remover to clean the adhesive area.

1 person likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I say go for glass jars/tin jars and stainless steel. initially you may feel that stainless steel smudges and more. so do tupperware.

you can go for partiable see through stainless steel ware. i am almost 50%stainles steel only 50% left to be converted i will be doing that very soon.

buy stainless steel storage containers that are a little stronger and heavy and also the rims of the lids should be good. there are many qualities available. for the amount you want to invest in tupperware i am sure you will get ones on the top of the chart.

i am against plastic vehemently(A complete turnaround from what i was two/three years ago), so much that even our drinking water bottles are steel these days.(only crib is the caps don't stay tight for long) .. i have shared a few articles recently in some thread here, only that i am not able to track them back..
    Parents shocked to learn 'BPA-free' baby bottles are loaded with other estrogen mimickers: Born Free, Weil Baby, CamelBak and more - NaturalNews.com and if this does not satisfy your curiosity, you can check out the paper that is available in the ejournals.

(I recently got a microwavable safe container(!!!) for buying a 30rs/pack of match boxes. and i wonder at how can they give away a mw safe container..the day we start question these in our mind, we will become cautious and stop hoarding plastic.)

Maintenance and easy access :
    Label them.I print them on my printer and use a cellotape to stick it..makes the paper waterproof. you can use color code stickers a small round one.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...cooking-cleaning-exercise-52.html#post2313399
    and most of my spices are in glass jars now. i weaned off plastic for all ready to eat, ready to sprinkle or flours and things.

if you can get hold of glass bottles,and you have strong grip and your shelves are easily accessible go for them. they are the best and i have a collection of them. i still search for glass bottles the old horlicks bottles..

and whether they are glass, plastic or steel you should wash, wipe them once in 2 months or if that is a problem, the best and the easiest way is to wash/wipe once it is empty. and always use ladles/spoons to remove things from the container that way the contents remains good for longer and you will not use the same hand to close the lid making it dirty or smudged.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...an-lunch-ideas-sans-rice-181.html#post3379204

(this is what i follow..yes it is a little extra work, but at the end of the day worth the effort in terms of peace of mind..or we will always be on the yo-yo whenever we read such news.)

4 people like this.