1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 year old, stopped speaking in school

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by msms, Feb 27, 2015.

1. msms

msms Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I am writing on behalf of my sister. Her daughter will be 3 years in coming April. She goes to play school. She is a very active kid, knows all the poems etc. Recently my sister delivered a baby boy and had gone to my mother's place so her daughter had 1 month break for school. My sister is getting complain from school that her daughter has completely changed. She does not talk to any one in school and when she's told to rhyme a poem.... She'd pretend to have cough etc. She's perfectly ok at home. She doesn't like to go school. She says she doesn't like to tell poem in school. My sister is worried. Is it because of new member at home or something else. Though she is paying full attention to her.

Ladies please suggest what should my sister do?

2. Khushi78

Khushi78 Silver IL'ite

My son used to not like going to school even on Monday after a weekend. So a 1 month break is too much. Her attention has got diverted from the regular routine and therefore is again finding it strange to goto school.
    Ofcourse with the new fellow around and mumma busy with him, such situations are new and stressful for babies also. She is just 3...so let her be.Just see to it that she keeps going to school.
    Ask the school teacher if she is talking to friends there. If she is all is well. She will start reciting her poems sooner or later.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@msms hugs to the little girl. maybe she thinks being at school she loses on her mom's love. the little minds work in strange ways. how has she accepted the younger one. has her mom's behavior changed towards the elder one. sometimes, we think we are doing everything right, but there is some small gap that paves way for these type of reaction. this is what popped in the top of mind immediately.

Selective mutism(stop talking at certain places or persons)sometimes stems from a stress, or some fear. sometimes talking to people outside the home is taxing to little ones..after a month of not going to school, it could be reason too. . did something happen at school.

2 people like this.
  4. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi @msm
    Don't worry
    All kids when they go to school for the first time will be shy
    They want a familar atmostphere
    Ask the teacher if your sister can look at her while at school through a window

5. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

The child is still so young so no need to keep in "school". Getting a sibling is a big thing for a child and it will take time to adjust.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

May be she doesn't want to go to school and play with the little one at home.

7. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

When you force children to tell rhymes some children stop telling. I know of a child when
    somebody enters his house, the first thing he will say ' all my rhymes have gone bad '.