1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Big girl Calling me Aunty!!!!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by IamLucky, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Khushi78

Khushi78 Silver IL'ite

In few days time slightly older kids of the day care will call u aunty so its better to get used to it.
    I was unmarried when I once went vegetable shopping and the vendor calls me "bhabhi" :spin
    At any age ladies will not like to be called Aunty notdonesmiley
    There used to be a dialog in one famous serial "hum Panch " " Aunty mat kaho na" and the kids used to specially tease her calling aunty
    laugh1smiley

1 person likes this.
  2. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

Slightly Older kids are always ok for me. even my neigbour kids who are in 1st grade calls me aunty. that's different. This particular gal is slightly older than my last younger brother(btw i have 2 younger bros).
    its more or less my brother calling me aunty:spin

1 person likes this.
  3. chocogal26

chocogal26 Platinum IL'ite

absolutely agree with you...tell her directly

4. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

5. sacredbell

sacredbell Silver IL'ite

...I like this thread...I have observed this scenario in many places..

For example in kochi, regardless of their age, everyone calls each other ''Chetta'' ( word meaning is elder brother )..Even people who are 70 years old calls a 50 year old guy ''chetta''..it is very common...In Hyderabad, every stranger is a ''Babu''..In Madras everyone is either ANNAN or AKKA...

While calling such common names, they don't really mean its verbal translation..It is a polite way of addressing someone..

Here OP is little conscious about her age and look, especially after the delivery. So when some one calls her Aunty, she thinks that they do it because she looks like an ''aunty'', which is not true..That girl in the childrens home might be calling every customer Aunty...If OP doesn't like it, please tell that girl your name and ask her to call your name from now onwards..It is not offensive either..

1 person likes this.
  6. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry. This happened in my case. The baby sitter's daughter aged 22 called me Aunty, and keeps calling the same. She is as old as my younger sister. My DD is 2Y.

I told this girl, I am only a few years elder to you, you can call me akka. Then she said akka, then eventually went back to aunty.

Now, I just don't care! Who cares, there are much more things in this world to care about? Just don't bother OP!!!! :wave

7. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

This reminds me of a funny incident..Me and my DH went to a pharmacy near his house to buy medicines..There was this guy almost our age..Maybe 2 or 3 years older than us..He was little busy and didn't notice us...and my husband was calling him 'uncle'..'uncle' ..plz give us our tablets..need to leave... That guy was surprised..I was so embarrassed....I nudged my husband and said..."Wth...why are you calling him Uncle"... And my DH is like..he he.. Is he not uncle ??.. I just gave him bad stares and twitched my brows....
    In his house his dad ..(my FIL) still calls him "kutti".. So I guess he assumed that he is still that crawling baby that his parents treat him and everyone else is "old" and "uncle"... After effect of returning from his house... He didn't mean to insult the shopkeeper....however I guess he never got reminded how old he was...the way he gets treated by his parents........ Rofl...

3 people like this.
  8. Vanilasky

Vanilasky Silver IL'ite

This has happened to me in several times. When my DS was just 1 year old I met my younger brothers friend after a long time. He used to call me didi earlier now all of a sudden he called me aunty ( he is just 6 yrs younger to me). I asked him to call me didi as earlier and the reply was nw u have a kid that's y I called u aunty. But I told him politely to call me didi itself and he agreed. My brother itself is 9 years younger to me and he calls me didi and how can I allow someone other who is just 6 years younger to call me aunty.

Another problem is with the DH' s juniors who call me didi who are 8-10 yrs elder than me. And when i ask them to call me by name their justification is they call my DH sir so how can they call me by my name. We are calling you didi due to the respect we have for our boss.

iam just 30 yrs old and mom to a seven year old kid and hearing aunty aunty even from college going students( family friends children) is really really very annoying.

9. docathome

docathome Gold IL'ite

Even funnier is my dad calling my MIL and FIL aunty and uncle!! They are of the same age.. But he refuses to cal them anything else.. My mom says atleast call them dr or by their names by no change!! They are aunty n uncle still. Finally my MIL also started calling him uncle!:rotfl

9 people like this.
  10. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

Your Father calling ur MIL and FIL uncle aunty????? :eek:mg:...My MIL would have divorced me(not my DHlaugh1smiley)

5 people like this.