Can i do householdwork during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sugansunil, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ishvisahaani

ishvisahaani Senior IL'ite

You can do normal household chores if your pregnancy is healthy. There are few things which you have to avoid moving furniture, using ant or roach spray and lifting heavy weights.

2 people like this.
  2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations! Its such a special time in every moms life. As long as you did not have any complications, its perfectly fine to do all the household work and then some. For a lot of us, not doing household work is not an option at all. In fact, doctors here recommend all the pregnant women to be active though out the pregnancy. I am expecting my second on too and I do all the household work, including laundry, cooking, cleaning, mopping (the one with stick, which yellow mango suggested), picking up my daughter etc.

Some of the things that will surely help prepare for the baby are below:

1. In India, we have this belief that we should not buy any new cloths until after the baby is born. Luckily for me, none of us in our family believed in it. So, we bought everything that the baby would need in advance. That includes, cloths, diapers, wash cloths, swaddles, infant thermometer, infant bath tub, baby grooming products, shampoo, oil…you name it and we bought it. This will set your mind at ease, knowing you have everything you need for the baby.
    2. Make sure to prepare a labor bag at least 4 weeks before the due date. When I was pregnant with my first one, I made a list. If you want, I can share it here with you. I think I posted this on IL somewhere.
    3. In the event of a normal delivery, you can start walking from within few hours of delivery. I had a C-section and even then, they asked me to walk from the next day itself. But with C-section, there are few things you have to be careful with like not lifting weights, not taking the stairs unless it’s a must etc. But your doctors will advise you how to care for stiches etc
    4. It will help immensely if you have someone to help with cooking and cleaning in the initial 3-4 weeks. If no family is around, hire help. I know in India its much cheaper to hire help than here. You can manage with your LO and DH even without help, its not impossible but its difficult. We are new moms and we are still getting to know the baby and the baby is getting to know us. Breastfeeding, sleeping, poopy diapers, doctor’s visits…all these this will take priority (right-fully) over cooking, cleaning and mopping. It will be nice not to worry about what you are going to make to feed yourself and hubby. Here its perfectly fine to freeze food. As a matter of fact, I made a big batch of lasagna to my good friend and portioned it for her in her freezer so that, all she has to do was reheat and eat it. I did the same thing for her for roti’s and parathas, dal and chaawal. But in India, cooks are available easily. Hire someone.
    5. Easier said than done, but sleep when the baby sleeps. From day 1 itself, keep the lights low during nights, even when the baby is awake. That way, the baby will get into our clock of day and night.
    6. If the house looks like a tsunami has just hit it, turn your head the other way and keep walking. You need to rest and recuperate in the first few weeks. There will be plenty of time later for cleaning.
    7. Most importantly, trust your instincts. Listen to yourself. That will come a LONG way.
    8. Understand that you have a strong bond with the baby even before its born, as you have been carrying the baby for 9 months. Our DH’s, as much as they would like to, they at times cannot immediately bond with the child. For them, one day they are single and the next day they are dad, even though they have been through the journey along with us. Control the urge to correct your DH every single time when it comes to handling the baby. Trust me, its not easy. We as moms think we know the best but often we forget that DH is also a parent now and that we must allow him to bond with the baby the way he is comfortable with.
    9. Even though I was exclusively breastfeeding for 3-4 months, I used to pump the milk and store. On my DH’s days off from work, he used to use that stored milk and used to feed the baby at nights. That way, I used to be able to sleep for 6 hours at a stretch (after that I used to wake up for feeding/pumping). 6 hours maynot sound like a lot now but believe me, even 3 hours of continuous sleep is a blessing in those early few days.
    10. Keep healthy snacks ready to pacify your hunger during the middle of the night.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

11. If a friend offers to help, take her help. Even if its just her coming over to make some coffee for you. All our friends are well wishers and they are more than happy to help us when we need them.

12. Avoid entertaining guests for the first few weeks, unless its close family. I know its hard in India but try. Say no ti every one who wants to visit after 7 PM.

13. I bought plenty of cloths for my LO. So many that i need to wash only once a week or so. That was a big help.

14. The whole world would be ready to offer asked as well as unasked advises/ suggestions soon after delivery. Listen to everything but follow only what you think is right. Like I said, trust your instincts.

15. Do not allow people to take flash photography of your baby.

16. Know that being a parent is a learning experience. If only all babies come with a manual. Often, what worked for my baby and me maynot work for you and your baby. Keep your eyes and mind open and observe the baby. More often than not, they communicate (in their own way) their needs. Observe the child.

17. One last thing. There is no right or wrong way about raising a child (with few exceptions). There is just your way. Dont let judgmental people pull you down.

Good luck. You will do fine. Try not to stress.

8 people like this.
  3. sugansunil

sugansunil Bronze IL'ite

@Rakhii: Wow that's very helpful. Thank u dear.
    I would lik to know the prethings to buy for baby can u giv me a list? I bought wash clothes,cloth diapers,bibs,mattress,receiving blanket,powder puff,baby detergent,nail clipper, bath towel thats it. I didnt buy dresses and cradle cos my neighbour said we should not buy them before delivery. Other than dress and cradle what are the things to buy? Can u list them pls and also i need labor bag list. Thnks.

4. Rakhii

Hi Sugan, I am attaching a word documents for both. Mind you, this was made keeping in mind a delivery in North America. So, some of them you may not need in India. Even the brands maybe different. Use this just as a reference.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP

I think you should keep doing household work till you body tells you no. In the last months, it gets very difficult to bend or sit on floor. I was doing all the household work but we have less work in US as compared to India.

Do not use any cleaning chemicals, sprays where you inhale fumes. Infact I had started putting incense sticks outside for god because I was not able to take those fumes.

Stay active.

After normal delivery, try not to do household for sometime. In my case, I made tea and did other things like some washing baby's clothes but I should not have done that. Try to sleep as much as you can. Take atleast week to do cooking etc. If possible get outside help. In india its easy. Even if DH helps, its not enough and they also get pressurized.

Even though its tradition not to buy before and i was totally forced by family to follow, I bought everything before hand and still I had to buy a lot more things later.

Congratulations with your pregnancy and Good luck. :)

3 people like this.
  6. Rakhii

I agree with Sanjuruby. I mean, if you don't buy atleast a few cloths, double wash and keep them ready, what are you going to make the baby wear in the first couple of days? I think you should buy a few cloths at least, wash them and keep them ready. You don't want any hassle after the baby is born.

1 person likes this.
  7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations, Rakhii! When is the baby due? We are expecting our second in April/May.
    OP, I don't have much to add, Rakhii has said it all but I'll add my 2 cents later.

2 people like this.
  8. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

yes my dear, you can do household works- if no complications.

check with your gynec , as dr. definitely has a upper hand in guiding.

after delivery- if no one for help- try to hire someone for atleast initial 2-3 months.

there are mothers who manage alone also. try finding out now itself for some one who can help you out. check if u can manage alone after delivery, if u are finding it tough then, try to involve helper.

regards,
    resmij

1 person likes this.
  9. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi @Sugansunil
    All the best
    Here are some tips that I saw in a website

There are some household chores that aren't safe for expecting mums. You'll just need to stop a few of them and be careful about*"how"*to go about other daily chores at all times.*
    Here are some household chores to avoid during pregnancy:**

* *Chores that involve lifting, carrying or moving heavy loads*. No safe limits have been established as a guideline for lifting (or moving) weight during pregnancy. You're already going to have a lot of back strain just from carrying your growing baby. The whole way you hold yourself changes because your centre of gravity moves forward. If you then exert yourself to lift*your older chidren
    , a bucket of water, a bagful of groceries, a gas cylinder or if you try moving heavy furniture it increases thestrain on your back
    *even more, putting you at risk for a back injury. According to*Dr Urvashi Sehgal
    , lifting too heavy weights can sometimes triggerpremature labour
    ,*bleeding
    *or arupture of the amniotic sac

Hope this help you

1 person likes this.
  10. Nithu

Nithu Gold IL'ite

Dear Friend,
    If you don't have any complications in your pregnancy then you don't worry about doing normal household work. Let your husband to do these work it will helpful for you both after the delivery also. always remember be carefully while walking on wet floor when mopping, don't insist yourself to do tooooo much of work. Eat healthy food in time and Have a safe Delivery :)

1 person likes this.