1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it a crime to have an only child?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by savyaasaachi, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Btw, Rakhii, had to add, not to change your mind but for the benefit of other posters reading. How the siblings bond has a lot to do with the parents. My Mom raised us herself mostly since Dad was away. She did an amazing job with us. I think a lot has to do with my aunt, her older sis, who lived close by. We grew up seeing their relationship and knowing how it was to have such siblings. My Dad on the other hand has siblings like your DH. I've always seen them competing with each other. I think my grandmother and her sister were also like that. Because of that, my mom takes extra effort to ensure we dont turn out like them. Thank god, me and sis never compete. It's actually fun to see one of my aunts running to buy a high end fridge just because another aunt bought one. They are still that way!

sindmani, Umanga, guesshoo and 2 others like this.
  2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Rakhi I think I will stop after this ....I am completely irrational when it comes to babies :) Please take everything I say with a sack of salt.

There are no gaurantees Rakhi ...but if I didnt have a second child my son wouldnt even have a chance right? So far knock on wood :bonkits workin out ..even when they all (DH included) do a fine job of driving me up the wall every once in a while.
    Please please dont feel guilty ....I am sure u are making the right decision for ur family.
    There is always more than one way and more than one solution to a problem.

3. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I don't think its a crime to just have one child. I think it makes sense emotionally and financially, depending on your individual situation.

Cooks

4. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii.. sure i do see your points..

i think in the case of your DH, it is because, he has a sister, sometimes when it is a brother and a sister, the love and affection is not the same as it was when they were young... because priorities change after marriage... atleast from people i have been seeing..

but if it is a girl-girl, sisters relationship, i have seen that they are like friends for life.. but i will not agree on the same between brother-brother relationship because i have seen both sides.. some like rama and lakshmana, and some like opposites.....

in my case i sincerely wished for a sibling when i was young and even now because, am somewhere far away and not there immediately when parents need me..but if we have siblings, the responsibility is shared and we can also be at peace thinking that somebody is there to take care when we are not able to..

but i really don't expect my kids to be so responsibile like us to parents, given the age and society they are in, but atleast they will be there for each other...

but it is not at all a crime to have one child. it depends on the family situation and the parents

sindmani likes this.
  5. friendlyaqua

friendlyaqua Bronze IL'ite

Rakhii even my sis is sometimes jealous of me doing well than her. We also have fights. Once we had a fight over some matter don't remember the reasons -we did not talk to each other for 1.5yrs
    I am a full time working woman, yes would b really a challenge to have one more baby but as I am very clear and not decided under any pressure, m sure will handle this situation also quite efficiently.
    The main thing here is be firm on wht your heart says. If you think practically, you will compromise and will feel guilty. Think a 1000 times before taking decision but Once decided then don't regret on your decision

6. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Selfish????
    I dont think so...what if in the future both the kids end up having bitter sibling rivalry???
    We cant predict life...

I have stopped listening to others.
    Yes I understand the pros and cons of having a single child.But i have shut myself away from the constant guilt trips....it gives me some peace.

3 people like this.
  7. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

Am I glad for this post.The worst part was when they used to ask my dear two year old to come and ask me for a brother or sister. Obviously he used to get angry when i used to say no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bonk

8. achu1

achu1 Silver IL'ite

I usually say "we are one and we have one". Here we = me and my DH.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sivasakthigopi

Sivasakthigopi Gold IL'ite

Hi

This question is asked by all people who have two kids. First of all, Now we have take our kids. In future each kid take care of his/her life partner. But he/she need one supportive person after our death. For this, his/her own blood only correct. So only all ask about next kid.
    But it is good for first kid, if he/she have siblings.

10. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Let people say what ever they want. IF you are someone have two girls, then will start, " so are u planning for a boy".or vice versa. If you say I want only one child " they start advising"???

So ignore and say, its our decision. Tats all...

2 people like this.