1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The validity of customs and traditions

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Ivanhoe, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Isn't it good that Mars is far away from Venus otherwise we would get such meteor showers daily.:rotfl

2 people like this.
  2. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Ivanhoe ,

There cannot be a single prescription for such ideas. Yes, we have to think outside the box. That is creativity and forward looking. "Change" is the only thing that is permanent in the universe!

But, just for the sake of convenience or inconvenience, to appear modern, or for no reason, customs and values cannot be thrown out. A substantial portion of customs and values is the result of cumulative experience and knowledge over a period across the societies of human race.

Integrity, Loyalty, good, bad etc. etc are group of words which are difficult to define, very elastic, changing and relative. A good thing for one society at one time may not be good at different time or different society and persons at different times! One should be cautious in understanding these adjectives which may mean different things for different persons at different times under different circumstances. Being good, having integrity etc. are highly relative.

We may throw away customs and traditions and superstitions, but with great caution and care! After careful and intelligent analysis of options and consequences.

3. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Bronze IL'ite

I agree that C&T are beautiful. But they need to be tweaked. We must retain their sentiments intact but change its outward expression to suit modern times instead of doing away with them altogether.

For instance keeping the marriage ceremonies simple and short. And not indulge in unwanted meaningless expenditure including dowry in the name of customs. Please remember a lot of our social evils like female infanticide are the direct result of stupid customs. I remember once when my father went to his native town after a long time his friends greeted him with "Assets or Liabilities". I later understood how much our so called customs have become a burden on families who had daughters. Thank god that now times have changed though a lot still seems need to be done. What remains now is to act proactively.

4. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Bronze IL'ite

I too love C&T so long they do not become a burden in any way. I for one believe we must keep our link with our roots. What we must abhor is blind attachment and adherence to traditions and customs which in any case I am sure many really do not know what these rituals stand for.

The point is keep the value system behind the customs even as we tweak them. We may and we must even be ready to change the customs if the underlying sentiments and values can be expressed better in any respect.

5. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Bronze IL'ite

I really do not think these are difficult to define. we all have a conscience and deep within (if we are honest enough) we know what we are doing is correct or not. Just follow the Golden Rule to start with. This will do. And the rest takes care of itself.

Exactly why I say C&T must change with times as times change. Change the customs if need be if the sentiments can be expressed more intelligently and economically. Let's just do away with the irrational and mesmerising belief that C&T are too sacred and sacrosanct to tamper with.

6. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Bronze IL'ite

7. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Bronze IL'ite