1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any parents of adopted kids here?

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by viraghu, Jan 7, 2015.

1. viraghu

viraghu Gold IL'ite

thank you so much harini. Felt satisfied with your answer. Our baby boy is coming with us today to our home. Thanks a lot.. Felt very happy seeing your answer!!!

7 people like this.
  2. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @viraghu,

Oh great.You will have your son in your hands now I think.Congrats and Enjoy your motherhood.
    By the way what is your son age now?

1 person likes this.
  3. viraghu

viraghu Gold IL'ite

He has completed 4 months @Harini73 :)

4. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

Awwwww how cute. Hugs to her. I wonder why the counsellor advised to inform the child. Is it better to/not to inform the child? Just curious.

5. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

one of my relatives is also raising an adopted child (girl). I have heard it is better to tell the child in a very early stage (through stories etc when young and more matter of factly later) as they can deal with it better when young. It gets difficult when they are in the growth period when they try to align their emotional intellingence to the world outside.

good luck to you dear !!!

6. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @oysterzzz,

We also felt that the same regarding informing the child regarding her birth.

Counselors point of view is that there is always a possibility that some of our relatives or well wishers may inform the child directly or indirectly about the adoption.That time children may feel very insecure and they may not trust the parents.
    One girl child came to know about her adoption at the age of 13 years it seems and she approached the adoption agency to know her original parents details and due to teenage she was very angry with her parents and felt that her parents have cheated her by hiding something serious from her.
    But the child is ok now and happy with her parents after lots of counseling it seems.
    So,it is always better to keep the child informed in the early stage itself.In teenage it gets scary(complicated).

2 people like this.
  7. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @ swt.charu,

Yes I have seen it directly that the children find it difficult to handle it during teenage.The young girl who was looking for her biological parents through the agency was very emotional.
    She was actually repeatedly saying her parents have cheated her and after counselling she was happy with her parents and she has stopped searching her biological parents also.When we interacted with her last year during adoptive parents meet she was happy and proud about her adoptive parents.
    So we are hoping for the best,we have not told our daughter directly,but only through stories.

1 person likes this.
  8. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Adoption is a state of mind.
    Bring the child home and forget that hes an adopted child.
    A very very close brother and SIL has adopted a girl child a couple of years back..
    This child is their treasure.. my SIL lover her daughter more than anyone in this world. and my niece is very very close to all of us. We have forgotton that shes adopted...

All the best..
    Happy parenting.

3 people like this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Viraghu dear congratulations. Both my daughters have adopted a girl child and cant make out that they are not their daughter as their behavior is like their mother only. They are six years now.

4 people like this.
  10. viraghu

viraghu Gold IL'ite

thank you aparna :)

1 person likes this.