A few questions

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by CrayoNess, Jan 28, 2015.

1. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Toddlers , whiners , marginalized people , low class talent , body shops .. Hmm too much judgement on her team and company .

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Just as an explanation:
    Not 'marginalized' - but, 'might', 'have been', 'in the old India'.
    This has nothing to do with her company, but more with the developments in India, which I think are for the better. These sorts of international jobs, foreign travel etc. were a purely middle-class phenomenon just a couple of decades ago - not any more. Now it's an engine for people to move into the middle class. When I say 'heartening' I mean it. I am pleased to see the increased opportunity.

3. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

you get what you pay for. that is just reality. this 'manager' needs to quit whining and figure out how to get the best out of her team.

4. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

OP- Not everything is "cultural".

There must be transparency in performance evaluation process. If there is the discussion at the beginning of the year with consistent feedback throughout the year, employees will understand what is expected and how to work towards it. Perhaps, there is breakdown of communication between you and your team and if that is the case, you are just as much the responsible party for the situation.

As for discussions of salary and other confidential information, it looks like there is no leadership or direction given to the team. It has to communicated top down that such discussions are neither appropriate or encouraged. While an employee should be given satisfactory information about the evaluation process and their own performance, there should be no need for any manager to give answer why xyz got so and so increase. The conversation should about what each individual contributor can do to better their own performance not about why someone else got what they got. The fact that team can raise such questions shows you don't have control over your team.

I too grew up in India and I find your experiences with India/ Indians strange (including that whole cruise ship fiasco). I think you put too much stock into all things "cultural" and at the same time expect others to act just like you would. If you need to successful as a manager who manages a diverse team, you need to also be a part of that team not stand at far distance with a critical eye being judgmental of their every move.

1 person likes this.
  5. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

i get what you are saying. but this company does not seem to be run in a professional and competent way, if we take this poster's words at face value, the employees it seems to attract are not high caliber, or at least, inclined to work at the level which they are paid. my comments do not speak to the talent pool in India in general, but specifically at this poster's company, the way it comes across in her posts.

6. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

While soka may be writing essays :), I love Aria's reply. Thanks Aria, will follow suit on ur 2015 resolution for this thread :)

7. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I'm inclined to think going by OP's lemony snicket's problems, she perhaps has a team who are competent but slightly socially inept. 5-star cruise, banquet, sommeliers could be little daunting to a lot of people who are not exposed to grandeur of corporate celebrations, look at the type of knives , you mean there isn't one butter knife. I'm intrigued more by the reflex of the prefect to report this unwordlyness as maladroitness authorizing necessary repudiation of the team. How fair is that?! Humility of experience, leadership, professionalism is sometimes in making the other person comfortable than pasquinade of their social-awkwardness (assuming the team gathering was a complete disaster in terms of socializing!)

Recollecting an incident few years back from my early days with Toastmaters, I was once the 'toastmaster of the day' and the General Evaluator was substituted in the last minute. Now someone passed me a scrawl as "General evaluator is []". Good lord! The letters looked like some petroglyphs of phoenician syllables and I had no clue how to pronounce that Greek name (latter found out it was literally Greek). I stood up and went to the podium and announced, "So here we have our GE []..." There was silence no one even moved forget about rising. I uttered again and again after the murmurs silenced, a portly fella in his 50s walked up to me , smiled , shook hands and took the stage. During the evaluation speech of Toastmaster he said "When Aria called me I did not get up , I did not know that she was calling me". There goes my moment of 'darti phat jaye aur mein ..."Because no one has ever called me so phonetically sweet, infact in Greece, [..]". Later I found out he heads 3 floors above that auditorium.

I'm not writing all this to debunk your POV but esp with cross-regional teams on various denominations there must be some kind of teething issues that needs a more open-minded approach that glosses few gaffes. Going back to the cruise, I don't find aloofness or diffidence of the team members startling if they were never exposed to such events in their work exp. Rather a smart manager can exploit the situation to chummy with the team , a worker always remembers the first time he went to work, the first time he drew salary and the first time he was made to feel a part of a team.

2 people like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do I take it that sdiva20 and coolwinds are somewhat in agreement on OP's a few questions ? :cool:

9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Ragini25 I know you mean well, but there's something about that word - essays - the way you use it, that makes it come across as rather disrespectful. Dismissing Soka's thoughtful and illuminating replies as 'essays' is unfair. Some of us here really appreciate his POV. Let him and others write their essays. We'll find the time to read them. This remains true whether or not you have doubts about the authenticity of the OP's issues.

Why someone would hang around a 'discussion' forum while denouncing and decrying participation of any kind is truly a mystery to me!

4 people like this.
  10. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

not liking it whatsoever it may be that took away the delight from me in reading your posts. :bangcomp: resolutions down down!

3 people like this.