1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any advice to this situation....

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SGBV, Jan 6, 2015.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

That was a perfect advice YM....

Although A is almost 10 years older to me, she is still immature. But she is very good at heart and always so helpful despite of so much struggles she personally had.

Since you asked for background, I will give what I have/know about them.

B's wife and her family ill-treated A once which had created a lot of tiff in their family. A still has that resentment because she feels totally ashamed of it. B's wife never liked A because her brother seemed to have overtly loving and respecting A than his own mom. Also he likes A's kids and spend quite a lot of money by buying them treats and toys always. He also promised the kids to have same love and priority in his life even after his marriage, which affected B's wife. A doesn't request his help or promise, but it came naturally as he received so much help and voluntary and selfless assistance from A throughout his life. That's why he called her second mom.

B and his mom seemed to have forgiven his wife for her mistakes. She too behaves too nicely with them to seek their forgiveness. But she avoids A and treat her differently. So, A is still unhappy about it.

She is upset when her mother sided with her SIL who already ill-treated A. Also she is upset when everyone all of a sudden changed their center of attention as if they were not happy before or compelled by A in the past. if so, she feels all her efforts to please them in the past by going against her H and in laws (which may have created a lot of problems understandably) are gone waste.

Further A is okay if they want to be the center, but what irks is her mother's and SIL's decision to totally cut her off from the gathering.
    I believe, B's house and family can be the center point, but it must have happened slowly and not all of a sudden. If so, it is also selfishness because they all used A when they were homeless, but needed her support and now they suddenly ignore her.

Secondly it is not right to cut her off from the gatherings. If SIL doesn't like her, so be it. What happened to the brother, sister and the mother more importantly. They took her for granted based on her soft nature.
    I feel they could have welcomed her and still treated her reasonably special as a guest at their home instead of chasing her and the kids away from there, that too on a special day like this.

Also, avoiding A when she needed a hand for a party is not right. They could have planned the trip a day before or later. But it is important that some close relative give hands to organize an event like this. As far as I know, A was helpful before and she was running around her brother's wedding as her own.

I felt as if the SIL was insecure about B thus she reacted strongly. B and the other family members were so wrong, but they were taking A's nature for granted in order to please the new member of that family. A was so immature to get upset and depend on them till now.

PS: A's sister lives in abroad, and visit them once a year. Till last time she stayed with A as B wasn't married and never had a home of his own. But this time he begged them to stay with them. The sister's husband is a good friend of B, so that counted another reason. But she is the one who called A and her kids to visit B's house in order to be with them till the end of their vacation.

It seems A's mom, sister and even B knows the SIL was wrong. But they believe she has changed now because she shows a real nice face to them. But A believes she hasn't as she still treats A differently which they dont understand.

1 person likes this.
  2. YoginiVenkat

YoginiVenkat Silver IL'ite

Well explained..

2 people like this.
  3. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

I understand your point about acting. But I was only thinking of the pain she will have if she cuts off everyone abruptly. So my suggestion was more like keeping low for some time till these passing clouds blow away. Anyway she definitely should concentrate more on her husband and children than such turncoats.

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I further suggested her to meet up with her friends, colleagues and her husband's friends as family along with her H and kids on week ends. So that she will have new people around.

I have also suggested her to live on her own and not as an extension to her mom. Make decisions at her place such as visiting a family or bringing them over here or meeting in laws or buying a new thing etc..etc... She needs to discuss with her H and go ahead with that without having to depend on her mom.

I

sindmani, pear and yellowmango like this.
  5. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

Where is A's husband in all this? A's mother, brother, sister etc etc are her previous family. It's not her world. A should realize that her DH and in laws are her present family and be more close to them like how her sil did.

6. internetmom

internetmom Silver IL'ite

Here problems are many. For the sil:
    1. A dil is generally in tight situation while handling one MIL. The sil of A is unlucky enough to have two of them. Mamma’s boys are trouble enough, here is a sis’s bro as well to take care of. Its completely natural for the new wife to feel insecure when her dh cannot think of anything else other than his sis. I know a friend of mine whose dh was so obsessed with his sister that he once called his wife as ‘sis’ by mistake that too when they were in bed together. This exp shattered her so much that she could not bring herself to be intimate with her dh for sometime after that.

2. The sil is forced to disconnect, at least apparently, with her own blood relations because of whatever happened between A and them. This, I suppose, is not a small sacrifice on her part. And this naturally makes her even more insecure about her place in her dh’s life. C’mon everybody wants to be centre of her own inner circle. A may have obliged her siblings a lot, hence they may be grateful to her but the sil has no reason to be so. A was not a second mother to her.

3. A, who herself has sided with her own family at the cost of her in laws should not expect her sil to side with someone of her in laws for whom she has lost her own family (at least apparently) and has to constantly struggle to keep her dh to herself. Having said that the sil should understand that after all, she is sis to her dh and hence she deserves some love and respect from her as well. And should show that. Locking herself in room when she comes is too disrespectful of her.

For A: She has loved her siblings and mom with all her might at the cost of her in laws and all. And now the sudden change that has happened after her bro’s marriage has naturally shattered her. As her mom has always put her as a priority, she is pained to see that she is not doing so any more. But she has to understand that when a new person comes in the family the family dynamics invariably changes. As it has happened in her own marital house. Her mom asked her to leave because her sil did not like her. So if she wants to keep it close to what it was, she has to try to win the new member over. She cannot force any one to love her because she loved her siblings.

They both could have done these things in order to keep the family intact. Now that they didn't do that and things have gone way too far from the limit of repairing, both of them, should for the time being, concentrate on their own life without thinking about other. both should be busy in their own lives. Let time heal.

3 people like this.
  7. friendlygirl

friendlygirl Silver IL'ite

I agree with yellowmango, reading OP post here, it is only one side of the story.
    Since A has been the main person all along, probably she is not able to accept that there is anther person in command here and who her brother and mom listens to. we have seen that happen several times in other families.

That said, if she really is itnerested in peace, she will let her brother and SIl lead their life the way they want and will maintain cordial relationship with ehr brother.

In spite of that if the SIL behaves badly adn doesn;t change, then that relationsip is not worth it.

8. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

I am not the best person to answer this, so I am not even going attempt!

Few questions here - Does A's mom still live with A? You told us A is dependent on mom, is it the other way too? And by that I mean both financial and moral support. How is A's husband and how is his rapport with A's mom and brother?

If A's mom was also dependent on A and is now not supporting A - I don't find that fair at all! It is as if A was used when no one had a family home in the same city.

And I know I shouldn't point this out - Looks like A's mom doesn't want to antagonize anyone and that is why she is asking A not to spend a lot of time at B's house.
    Why didn't she ask A not to burn bridges with her in-laws when A was taking sides?
    If all this was not unintentional, then looks like everyone (A's mom, brother and sis) knows which side of their bread is buttered :p

1 person likes this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP..I would forgive the sil for feeling so insecure.The brother here seems to be obsessed in his love and devotion to A and her children.It is neither necessary nor normal for a grown up man to make promises of continued love for the children or A ,after his marriage.Too much drama.
    Even his spending on A 's family was a natural course of insecurity for sil as A does not seem to require it. The fact that such promises were made shows that A probably had her pre conceived fears about her brother changing after marriage(which he should have).

His considering his sister as a second mom could also have caused resentment in the mom. It does seem like 'mom fail' to her if the sister has to step up and be the second mom or take her place.

Elder siblings ...specially sisters can be very overpowering influences in peoples lives. It sometimes becomes a parent child relationship rather than sibling relationships. It can sometimes become a bit claustrophobic for the younger siblings because they cannot voice their opinions or oppose decisions because of the 'abnormal' relationship....unlike the more open sibling relationships.

My mom is the eldest of many siblings.Normally she is not a very domineering person....but when she is around her gang of younger siblings...she is a different person.My dad jokingly says she acts like a village pradhan(head).I have seen her giving unsolicited advice,disapprovals ,approvals which are never opposed.They may not follow it but they never voice any difference out of respect.Thankfully she gets this grand audience only once or twice in 3-4 years .If done often enough ...it can cause silent resentment.

sindmani and bron like this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Sil made a mistake and she worked towards correcting it and it was rewarded. The sil is also probably the youngest and it is easier for the older ones to forgive younger ones.

A being the oldest and'mother like' should have made more of an effort to get along. She is the more mature and experienced one.

She should not hold the other relationships in the family ransom to her fight with sil. If she expects others not to get along with sil who has gone out of her way to appease...then it is wrong on A's part. She should not exploit her past 'sacrifices' to define sil's relationship with the rest of the family.

It looks like a big ego battle between the sil and A. Had she been more accommodating and forgiving(being the older and mother like figure)....people would not have to choose sides. They could have two places where the family could be together.They were forced to choose...and they chose brother's home.

She cannot hold the siblings responsible for her ignoring her husband's side of the family.She seems to have a problem balancing relationships .

They seem to be closer to sil than A........hence seem to believe her.

OP...A needs to understand that the family dynamics have changed and since she is the one left alone...she has to look within her to find what happened.

It is her mom,brother and sister ...not some strangers. If people who were so central to her life and so devoted to her have changed...then there must be some reason why it happened. It is almost impossible to change a 'mommy's boy' so drastically ...so soon.There has to be reason that she is unwilling to look at or accept. Either there was some simmering underlying tensions...or the family believes that her conduct in the sil vs A problem was wrong.

She needs to stop ignoring the elephant in the room.....the entire family cannot be ingrate turncoats.Also...making some conciliatory steps towards sil would be seen as a grand gesture and make help her gain some lost ground...or she can wait and let time heal relationships.

1 person likes this.