1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

5 months old is adamant. Please help

Discussion in 'Infants' started by cutiepie66, Dec 30, 2014.

1. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Cutiepie ... This is what babies do and you cannot discipline a 5 month old !!! If she want you to hold her, you have to :) She will want to eat everything, grab everything, it's normal. Hang on, you'll do fine. My son is doing similar things now.

1 person likes this.
  2. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

Love you all :) What more I need than these supportive and kind words. You all are right. i am stressed out. I seriously don't know what to speak to her. I keep repeating the same thing over and over again to her. Like " How will baby sneeze, how will baby cough" Seriously nothing more I know to talk.We live with my grandparents. Grandma cannot hold her for more than 30 minutes as she completely takes care of the cooking. His mom cannot hold things with grip for more than 2 seconds. So can't take her help. My husband is busy with his business. Goes at 7 am and come back at 10 pm. In between he comes home for half an hour or so. I am afraid that she will get bored with the same things that I am repeating. That's why I want to read her books. I am exclusively breastfeeding her. Does she cries because the milk I give is not enough for her? Doctor wants me to wait till she completes 6 months.

3. tarasharma

tarasharma Gold IL'ite

Hi dear

Try arranging for a maid or help for an hour or so. You can train the maid. Try to take out 10-15 minutes this way to pamper yourself. It can be something as simple as oiling your hair or having a proper shower.

You will feel fresh and energized. Be calm.

1 person likes this.
  4. sushi

sushi Silver IL'ite

Dear Cutiepie,

I am a grandmother now. Was a working mother with two boys with just two years difference between them. In our days, we never had working from home facility nor we had a car, maid etc. I used to travel in Mumbai trains (Mumbai train in itself is quite stressful but that makes you realise that other issues in life are quite timid) ..
    This is not to talk like oldies 'in our days, we used to' etc etc.

Let me tell you, I would have been unhappy if the child did not do whatever your baby is doing. Be happy that your baby is quite active, acting quite normal. What I would suggest, you stop acting like a baby - getting stressed about each and everything. Just take a break and if not possible - please talk with your hubby who will only be happy to share your burden..(Burden is a very strong word when said with baby caring but still I would use it as I feel from your writeup)

Cutiepie sometimes moms start thinking that everything they are doing is for the baby and if they are not there the baby would not be taken care of. They even start thinking personal care can be kept aside for the sake of baby. Without even knowing and thinking, they get into some sacrificing mood. Please get out of that mood if you are into one. When the baby is sleeping (may be even half an hour) you also just relax in that time, dress up nicely and start enjoying the baby - babies are there for you to play with them, laugh with them, dance with them, talk with them as if they understand and cry with them when they are in pain too.

Finally, always try to tell the baby a story. Reading a book for the baby becomes monotonous for the baby . Hearing a story from the mother is always very soothing to the baby and gives a secured feeling to the baby and makes her sleep peacefully.

Cutiepie - I am a grandmother now having two grand daughters and hence felt I can tell you from my experience. So please take it in good spirit.

4 people like this.
  5. poornimakv

poornimakv New IL'ite

Whatever the ILs have mentioned here is true. Apart from that, I feel that your milk is not enough for her. Since she is 5 months old now, you can start giving her some Raagi or Rice "Kanji". Once her stomach is full, she will sleep at night peacefully.

2 people like this.
  6. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

EBF may not be the reason for her crying. Is she sleeping for 14+ hours a day ? Does she get too tired ? This could contribute to her not being able to nurse long enough to fill her tummy. Is her weight gain good ? I would suggest that you talk to your paed about her night waking and whether you should introduce solids before 6 months.

As for talking to your LO, just talk anything. Describe what it is like outside, how you are going to dress her up, how you're going to play, etc etc

1 person likes this.
  7. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions. This jan 9th she is completing 6 months. Planning to start with solids. Let me see if she wakes up even after that. That way I can know what's going wrong. Right?

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

If only they sleep through the night the day we introduce solids! No cutie, it doesnt work that way. For the first 2 months after introducing solids, we still need to feed them during nights (most babies wake up from what I know). We still supplement them with milk because they dont eat a lot to be sufficient to last the whole night. That sleeping through the night without feeds starts after you stop the night feeds. For me it started after she completed 1 year. Even now at 3 she still wakes up (not because she is hungry though).

3 people like this.
  9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is quite common for EBF babies to wake up several times in the night. EBF babies use mom's for comfort. Not all babies know to self soothe. Once you start the weaning process night time waking will settle down.

2 people like this.