Indian vegetables in Central London

Discussion in 'Indians in London' started by studentWC, Oct 1, 2014.

1. studentWC

studentWC New IL'ite

Hello,

I am a student living in Central London, more specifically right beside Tafalgar square and have arrived just a few days back.

I brought along quite a lot of masale and stuff so wouldn't need that for a while, but its hard to find Indian vegetables in central london.

All the online sites like tesco and asda have a minimum delivery amount which I might not reach every time and the tescos and sainsburys around here don't have anything more than cauliflower as far as indian vegetables go.

Would someone be able to suggest any shops I could visit without going very far just for vegetables? I can buy potatoes, tomatoes, onions, garlic, spinach and cauliflower from around here, just for the other vegetables.

Also, where would I be able to get detergent bars for laundry by hands (for those clothes that bleed colour).

2. annabunny

annabunny Silver IL'ite

Hello, welcome to London.
    If you live near Trafalgar you might be able to find a waitrose somewhere. They usually stock a lot more "exotic" vegetables like bhindi and methi leaves. But if you need more you might have to take a trip to east london unfortunately. You could go once a week to upton park and stock up on your veg. A trip to zone 3 from trafalgar would take no more than 30mins on the tube.

And yes, I too had that problem of clothes that bleed colour hehe! You can let the clothes soak in a bucket or sink (with the plug in) and add a spoon of your regular washing powder, or you could just use any basic soap (less than 50p in sainsburys) OR if you really want surf excel bar you might be able to find it in an indian grocery store in upton park/east ham.

There's a website called spices of india. They also deliver veggies to your door if you can't make it to the shops. There is a £4 delivery charge.

Hope this helps!

3. pkbharga123

pkbharga123 New IL'ite

Hello,
    For Indian veges, you can find them in big tesco like the one near westfield or sainsbury. Also open shops which sell 1 pound baskets like the one around kilburn high road would have some indian veges. Apart from that as suggested you can travel to Zone3 like Webley Park or Wembley Central and get it. Its really convenient to go to Wembley by bus or tube and the shops are very close to station.

4. sharan

sharan Senior IL'ite

Hi you can try the website called Itadka.com, which stock all indian stuff for a minimum delivery charge. Minimum delivery amount is £15 which I think you should be able to reach with basic vegetables, rice etc!

Hope you enjoy london.

cheers

5. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

Hi, since you live near Trafalgar, you can just walk or take the 176 bus to Loon Fung super market in China Town. You get most Indian veggies like Lady's Finger, Cauliflower, Brinjal, Plantain, Coconuts, Spinach varieties etc. in Loon Fung. I always buy from Loon Fung as it is very close to my office. The tomatoes sold in other supermarkets like Tesco and Sainsbury's taste terrible in my opinion. I don't buy tomatoes anywhere except Loon Fung. You can even get tender coconut for cheap. Prices are cheap and taste v good! Your search ends here :) I live in central London, let me know if you have any other questions. They also have amazing fruit selection like Jack Fruit, good quality watermelons, Pomegranates and other Indian fruits. Since it is from China, they have a very similar selection to Indian veggies. You can also find all Indian spices and hers like coriander and mint for low cost in Loon Fung spice section. I love the supermarket. Enjoy!

6. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

Also, if you don't already know, if you ever crave low cost Indian food in Central London here are some places

1. YMCA Indian Canteen - Check timings before you go - they serve the most authentic Indian food in Central London
    2. India Room - Near Indian High Commission - It is inside Strand Continental Hotel - it's not as authentic - but works for a quick fix
    3. Govinda's vegan restaurant - ISKCON Just outside Soho Square - not very spicy food - but good for veggies

BONUS:
    4. Chettinad restaurant - Tottenham court road - authentic south India - a lot more expensive - sit down meal - but very good taste

Enjoy!