fertility questions by strangers???? why??

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by anika987, Dec 29, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I conceived kids through fertility.Not that it is anythign wrong.however, every mother's first preferance is normal pregnancy and not many would love to acknowledge they have a fertility problem.

since,i conceived my kids late,people feel they have the right to know if it is fertility or normal.It is too annoying.none of these people r there for anymoral support but they want to ask private questions?i remember going to my usual parlour when pregnant.the lady who does my eyebrows without a blink asked me"ur kid is normal or fertility?" seriously..i wanted to slap her.none of her business.sorry,but i see many fellow Indians even the educated ones questioning about other's fertility.
    Anybody who has asked this question to anyone who is ttc or conceived late please do not ask these questions.it is not decent and very irritating.sorry but venting out coz just this morning someone asked me too many questions about how i conceived my child.

has anyone else faced this?are you cool about it or do you get upset?

2. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Hi anika...I totally feel your anger here. Strangers why infact even relatives, have no right to ask you such questions. When people ask me that question (which has happened directly and indirectly), my response to them is just this...don't you have any sensible question to ask? If they persist, my response has been atleast I aint into cradle snatching or child marriage like you...as most of them I know got themselves and their kids married really early in life and had kids before their first anniversary!. Most people back off with the first response, but there are some painful relatives who just don't get the message and only something nasty gets to their thick skins. Initially I did use this method, but over the months, think I just turn a deaf ear to them...selective hearing :) ignore and move on...ignorant souls don't deserve your attention or response.

6 people like this.
  3. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

Couldn't agree more with wini... just turn a deaf ear and seize to react.
    Few people just don't realise where to draw the line. Few days back I had to face this stupid lady who is my dh's cousin. She, inspite of knowing I had multiple miscarriages and ttc, asked me innocently "no news yet? Are you guys using something to prevent pregnancy? " I was first shocked as I couldn't see this coming up... I just smiled and ignored as if I was thinking something else. Few relatives too were present in the same room... she repeated the question second time... I acted as if I was playing with my mobile... she said... Twinkel, am talking to you, and repeated the question 3rd time and this was enough to shoot up my bp. I smiled, and asked her, when was the last time you had sex? She was taken aback, there was a silence in whole room... I said, "hey @@@ , I am talking to you... when was the last time you had sex?" No reply... I shrugged and continued playing candy crush ;-)

10 people like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

true..some people even relatives have no decency..they do not understand others pain.
    there is no concept of personal space for some people..

by the way excellent retort twinkel..she totally deserves it!

5. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

now that was some reply :cool2:

2 people like this.
  6. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

Yes, she deserved it. :rant

1 person likes this.
  7. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

Thank you:thumbsup

8. lovely1988

lovely1988 Silver IL'ite

Love your reply twinkel.. I too face such situation where relatives have no other hot topic to discuss than my pregnancy .. Hell lot of advices about various medical treatment and what not.. As if we don't know anything..and these relatives we hardly meet every other day... I normally smile and reply 'very soon, with yours blessings'

1 person likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

An unamused 'Why do you ask?' usually silences pesky inquiries.