1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What to pack for school? , please advise!!

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by resmij, Dec 16, 2014.

1. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

Hi dear mammas here,

We are vegetarians, and my son 4 years old kg student.

I usually pack idli + sambar, idli+ chutney, dosa+sambar, dosa+chutney , sandwich for him.

these days he brings it back, without eating ( sometimes full, sometimes 3/4th of what I pack).

initially his lunch box would come back- with 90% empty. it was big relief for me.

he does not eat on his own ( only at school he does it)- I have my MIL at home who suggests , feed him , else he will throw the food- he will make floor dirty- he will drop the food- he will make this .. bla bla

I don't have any interest to lock my horns with her, as I always lose in it.

and mamma boy ( my hus) is helpless, quiet audience as always.

Can someone suggest me something what I can prepare for his food?.

I am a working woman, I leave from home 6.20 am to reach office @7.

please suggest me something!!!

thanks and regards
    resmij

2. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

try variety rice ,chapati roll with tomato sauce spread,jam spread.

1 person likes this.
  3. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

hi uma,

thank you for replying.

but rice, he doesnot eat by himself.[

will try chapatti.

regards,
    resmijQUOTE=umasivasankar;3460157]try variety rice ,chapati roll with tomato sauce spread,jam spread.[/QUOTE]

1 person likes this.
  4. saps105

saps105 Gold IL'ite

Chapati with cheese spread /ghee n sugar..try different varities..kids get bored with repetition..bread butter/ cheese /jam, poori sauce..i sometimes send 2 tiffins ..one bf and 1 fruits...fruits alone he might feel hungry,aloo paratha, methi paratha with sauce

5. jassanju

jassanju New IL'ite

hello resmij,
    My daughter will also start the school now , she is also 4 years 3 months. i also have the same problem.so i am searching on the sites for some simple & healthy veggie options. try for besan cheela with some paneer , grilled or patty sandwitch with mashed potatoes & cheese slice, or you can fill some cooked vegetable also like gobhi aloo ki sabji, cabbage ki sabji etc. if its ok with you, then you can put cheese spring rolls or some veggie cutlet with fries . try bread with some grated cheese topped with some sliced olives (bread pizza). my daughter likes it a lot. i hope it will help you.

6. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Dear Op,

It will be painful for mothers to see kids lunch box coming back as we give..

One trick which i am following is, I will ask my DS before night itself what he wants for his lunch box since he started his schooling (5yrs). I pack small quantities like main meal (vermicelli, mix veg idli, uttappam, pasta, bread pizza, egg sandwich, grilled cheese sandwich, lemon rice, chapati rolls) along with a fresh fruit, veggies, yogurt and snack (his favs like granola bar or brownie or honey roasted nuts)..if he miss on something due to talking during lunch time, he will snack the other things during snack time..this way something goes inside, when it is idli or dosa i will make it as one meal as my DS cannt manage side chutneys or sambar- like i make variety idlies/dosa like mix veg idli/dosa, masala button idlies or cheese/corn dosa roll ups like that..it wont be messy and quantity will be just right for him..

And also tell him the importance of food and wasting food is not good for us...I showed youtube videos of people suffering for food- this really worked for me, he keeps repeating this before leaving anything in the box

Hope this helps

2 people like this.
  7. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

Dear Mammas,

Thank you all for the reply.

I sent poori. hopefully he finishes it.

bread+ omlet I made like a sandwich - that din't come back ( Thank god)

It is a good idea by bloom about youtube of people who suffer due to lack of food.

every child, adults too should understand food is very important, and not to waste

it.

Thank you all.
    resmij

8. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Resmi..

you our can roll chapatis with any curry that you prepare...
    cut the idli into pieces and roll it in dhal /chutney powder...
    prepare dosa like a pizza with cheese and little fried veggies... Told him it as pizza dosa.. Even you can give bread pizza like this way..

i will show him the beggars on the road and told him that they wasted the food some day before so that God gave the punishment to beg for food... I really works... Ask for his own wish for food... Eve though he is a kid you can find or ask his taste... But don't give sauces or spreads so often, then they will be addicted to them... You keep track that weekly once or twice you can give the processed food...

1 person likes this.
  9. laksvishnu

laksvishnu Bronze IL'ite

Resmi,

try out making dosas in various shapes like mickey mouse , or alphabets. idlis in various colors like orange idli by adding carrot, green color by adding spinach. U can even make idli upma by cutting idlis into small pieces and fry it with onion and mustard. Hope it works for your baby.

1 person likes this.
  10. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

The child should be allowed to eat by himself. You do not feed children that are old enough going to kindergarten.

1 person likes this.