Women's day – reason for celebrating?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SaleemaRex, Mar 8, 2013.

1. SaleemaRex

SaleemaRex Gold IL'ite

Well the question has been bugging me since facebook and IL started to talk about women's day. What is special about this day? What does it mean in today's world! Is it another day like Mother's day or is it something more?

[I am sure Wikipedia has a big list of reasons for this day but I wanted to find the reason in a more practical term!]

I tried to categorise the types of days we generally celebrate (excluded purely religious celebrations)...

Firstly we have days like mother's, father's, teacher's, etc... basically days that we give our thanks to the wonderful role they play(ed) in our life.

Secondly we have days like Independence Day, Republic Day, Remembrance Day, etc... historical events where we remember the victory over a cause and the remember the people who gave their lives for it.

Third type in my opinion are days like birthdays, New Year’s day, etc... days that marks a milestone! Days to celebrate the start of a new chapter!

[There could be more days we celebrate but due to my brain's limited functionality I couldn't think of them now!]

So where does this Women's day fit in? I think we can safely leave out third type as I can't see how this day can be termed as a milestone.

Between 1 and 2; where does this day belong to?

Is it 1? A day to thank the women in our life for the role they play? Like being a loving mother, kind sister, lovely daughter, etc.

Or is it 2? We have fought for our equality for such a long time sometimes we forget our own fights! Even today we hear about women who are fighting for their rights to learn, freedom to choose their career, etc. So maybe this is a day to remember all those women who fought for our rights, women who have given up their life for our equality… same as those freedom fighters. And offer our support to woman whose fighting is still ongoing.

Or is there altogether another reason for celebrating it? I personally think it’s everything to do with women's equality and not much to do with relationship roles we play. Making it like another day to celebrate our kindness, sacrifice, etc is another way of trying to dominate us in my opinion. Yeah kindness, sacrifice all good characters but they are applicable to both men and women not a special trait meant only for women.

I think I have said enough, now it's your turn to share views :)

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I go with the last sentence that these days are applicable to both men as well as women. All men are not devils nor all women are. We have men as well as women who has stood up equally and have done great jobs.
    We not only celebrate woman's day we also celebrate men's day which is on November 19th

1 person likes this.
  3. HEMASRIRANGAM

HEMASRIRANGAM Bronze IL'ite

My thought is all days are women's day.Why separately to tell one day for"Women's day?

4. jabeen100

jabeen100 New IL'ite

The main reason to celebrate this day to give rights to the women in a society.