1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Brother in law and Sister in law

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sunispirit, Dec 8, 2014.

1. sunispirit

sunispirit New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

It is about my brother in law(BIL) and sister in law(SIL), they always speak lies , they have complaining nature etc it is quite frustrating and can't say anything
    because of there fighting nature. Friends please help your views and ideas and how do u deal with this situation.

To explain in detail we are in abroad and they are in India doing a good job,my father in law and mother in law stayed with them for a couple of times might be around 4 years, but they say they stayed with them for 8 years. We cannot argue because of there nature but I get lot of angry inside me because of there lies.

Also we have arranged two servants and they take care of A to z, but now my father in law is no more, Still we left two servants with them and they take care of everything for my mother in law except in situations to take to hospital once in 6 months or when my father in law is there once in a month or so.
    Even taking to hospital they say lies that they were taking every day or every
    alternative day.

Even though the servants do everything from A to Z and they help a lot for there house cleaning, washing , cooking etc, SIL hardly has any work, she is always out for there personal work, she is housewife, she is not working as it is her own decision not to work and to care of her children, but they say that they are not
    working because of the in laws but that is not true as they(both) don't even spend 10 min for the in laws by sitting & talking with them. SIL on a daily basis does her personal, taking care of her children and little bit of cooking (her husband is particular in cooking), most of cooking is done by servants on the whole what I am trying to say is that this servants do A to Z and they have also utilized them heavily when they have purchased new house for all the house carpenter work etc, even after the servants have done so much they never expressed even a single day about the servants hard work and they compliant that they eat more, but they always say that they(BIL& SIL) are doing all the work, all the time they say this, also they indirectly said that they wont look after in laws if money is not sent of course we never had such a idea of not sending( as u can't understand about cunning people attitude), both are very cunning and has bad ideas and also always increases the monthly charges every 3months or 6months saying that the prices have increased or some cock & bull story. One time he as increased the monthly charges to much we told that it might not be that much it, in reply to that he wrote a long mail to my husband saying that u look after parents u will know the pain , he asked what amount we have given saying himself that he only spent all money as if we not
    given, in spite we have given equal amounts for the operations, medical tests etc,
    He also has insurance for inlaws which his company pays, he should have claimed it and also take from us but never used to say and blah blah everything is untruth.
    As we are here and couldn't bring in laws because of some reasons, we have to leave them with BIL but for his parents only he counts & he says that why me everybody has to take responsibility and one time we kept 2 and half months leave to look after inlaws and we were withut job with loss of pay, but this people are only bothered about them not about anyone.

They are very cunning and cheating type.When my father in law expired during that 11 days period this people have done things for his new house like arranging with new flower pots, arranging decorations etc,. You can imagine now how this guy is and practical even during his father's death.

This guy has 16yrs of job, because of some issues in the company he was said that his company has issued resignation letter, he has good assets, properties and policies and this guy doesn't even spend 10/- he thinks so much. even after having so much he complains saying that everyday has has lot of expenses for children he says don't know how to run the house, blah, blah etc For children will they have everyday expenses? and we advised that SIL can do a job , he said that it is not possible because she has to look after mother in law and servants even that is not true everything is lies but the truth is she is not working because she wants to look after her children and her personal work, even they go out regular that also they say lies saying that they are not able to go out because of parents.
    There is lot to say but want to give a fully stop, I really get lot of frustration can't say anything because of my husband and relation ship and also because of the cunning nature.
    What do you do in this situation. Please kindly let me know.

Sorry for my communication and spelling mistakes.

thanks sunispirit

2. abiramivalli

abiramivalli Senior IL'ite

Sometimes our own kith and kin try to exploit our weaknesses. Try to take your MIL to your place so you dont have to depend on others. If that is not possible then give your share of money for her caretaking and turn a deaf ear to all their complaints. If you are not keeping her then you might have to compromise a little on their financial demands but have a limit and dont budge over too much. just my 2 cents.

3. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

I don't quite understand the financial arrangements here. At one place you say you (I think you intend your husband and yourself here) arrange for two servants. Next place you say, all expenses aare divided. Not to poke around, but to understand your situation completely and to give any suggestions, think all facts should be available.

In way I can understand this - if you genuinely look at this (I don't know your family, in general). Money is only half of the story, other half is being available (physically and emotionally) when required. So maybe your BIL and SIL can't go out for lunch/dinner as they want because ILs might want them. In my family, my grandparents are awesome people - but they won't eat outside food. So the uncle and aunt who live with them, have to cook lunch/dinner for my grandparents even if they are going out for food. Also, my grandparents are very orthodox, in terms of cooking and lifestyle. Definitely, the uncle and aunt living with them will can feel that their lifestyle is being cramped. It is another story that within my family, everyone has gotten this sorted out!

But if this is how your BIL and SIL are feeling and if expenses are genuinely raising, and if you keep asking them for some proof - won't they feel insulted? Like you say - "BIL is counting it for his won parents". But he is not the only son and hence all expenses have to be shared across the siblings. Do you think your BIL can feel that his own brother, with whom he has grown up is asking him for proof and he may find it insulting. Like I said, I don't know how this question was asked, maybe you guys were senstive - only saying. Also, do you have any proof for lies. Exaggeration and lies are two different things. Not to sound offensive, just saying!

Again, maybe the best way to find out is to ask him - a lot of insurance policies will not pay unless hospitalized. Even then, too many limitations. I know as I have just taken an office medical insurance for my parents. Next time you meet him, ask such questions in person so that you know the truth.

Here again - like I said, sending money and taking care are two different things. And in that count, your brother in law is right. Objectively looking - its your loss of pay. But just because he is in India, he cannot be expected to be doing all the running around. Your ILs are your husband's parents as well.
    I don't know your circumstances - but this is from what I have seen of the world.I have had colleagues who travel onsite to US/Europe. 1 USD is around 60+. So even 10,000 ruppees will not be too much of an expense on these guys - around 160 USD. However, in India it is quite a sizeable sum. So even if all expenses are being shared equally - the Indian sibling will feel the heat as it is a higher amount for him. Also, his responsibilities are not just monetory - he has to the physical (running around) and emotional support as well.

Lets be objective about this - a lot of Indian women don't work and it is acceptable for them not to work. Maybe your BIL is just cribbing, issue is only if he wants some money from you as well. Even then, it is totally your prerogative to say Yes/No to his demands.

Not saying all this to just hurt you or to belittle your situation. You know your situation the best. So if you think people are taking you for a ride, then maybe they are. But sometimes think all we need is another perspective to understand people.

2 people like this.
  4. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

I m in the similar situation. Of course it was my inlaws choice to live with their 1st son. My husband being the 2nd. But still if they wanted we were willing to take all responsibilities. But they say it is tradition blah blah. and end story is BIl nd Sil crib. and we are helpless.

2 sons household this problem exists . the 2nd one is always in bad books.