1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of questions but no answers

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Harini73, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

I had a shock of my life in the middle of November because of my niece suicide.She was just 21 full of life and she committed suicide by hanging herself in the fan.Our whole family is still in shock.

We are still reeling in the shock.She has completed psychology and she has participated in lots of debates in school and colleges and she was bold.she would voice her opinion in all matters without any inhabitant.

She has just left note stating that she is missing something in life and she is not able to understand what is life and what is her purpose in life.My brother and sister in law is totally broken and I do not have the words to express their feeling.We are not able to understand why did she commit suicide?In what way we have failed her.

Due to her suicide we had to face lots of problem also.Police formalities and hospital formalities etc.Apart from this rumors in family circle and neighbors since it was a suicide.
    I question myself:

What compelled her to commit suicide and did she not think about us for even a second.She has completed psychology,but for what use.where did we go wrong? Have we not given her enough faith in us to confide her troubles or queries with us. How did we fail her?Have we missed some sign for restlessness.But she was bubbly and she celebrated her fathers 50th birthday last month by inviting all his closes family and friends suddenly and giving him surprise.

Lots of question ,but no answers.This is going to haunt us till our life.

2. abiramivalli

abiramivalli Senior IL'ite

Life is full of surprises and when we cant find an answer to a question, we call it destiny. It is very clear she was mentally unstable. and also I feel however educated a person if the person is very sensitive he or she is going to suffer a lot.

3. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Hope you and your family gets through this tough sad time.

4. confusedwoman

confusedwoman Silver IL'ite

Suicide is usually committed when someone is depressed. They can't think of others at that time, as they can't even be held responsible for themselves or their actions at that time. If they are good at hiding their true feelings sometimes loved ones can't make out they are depressed.

1 person likes this.
  5. honeydaisy

honeydaisy Junior IL'ite

its very sad. A young girl take her life.... no body cant understand about life...

6. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

depression is something that is still to be given importance to in our society.... ppl put up happy faces but may have a sad personal life ....i truly pray for ur niece family in this tough time... 21 yrs and such a big decision....

7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Really sorry to hear this - have to cope up and recover from those realities that bite us hard as this.

Our society and family environment actually does not give room to exchange free views of individuals. This is the major issue and the individual's thought process is limited to ones own knowledge and experience, which is very minimal at these ages.

When one is forced to think only with in, this sort of leads to development of an inferiority complex, a fear for the unknown and left in a helpless state. There is actually none to have a transparent exchange of ideas or rather no freedom to express or explore. Reading psychology doesn't mean the individual is deemed fit enough to handle/analyse and derive right solutions.

Families should actually start interacting with each other and know each other better, so that such circumstances can be limited to a great extent.

sindmani likes this.
  8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  9. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

my condolences. the aftermath of a suicide is very hard for the loved ones. especially when it is someone so young and seemingly full of life. many questions, many emotions and really hard to understand why it happened. sometimes it is very apparent what a person is going through- withdrawn, morose, unmotivated. and there are people, who on the surface it's really hard to tell what they are going through.

acute sensitivity and mood swings at particular ages are delicate points where a person may act on impulse, full grade depression is easier to recognize and treat. for her, it may have been the former. please don't feel that you failed her, it is clear that she was loved and appreciated with a supportive family. i can't imagine how devastated her parents must be. only time will heal. i wish you much strength and fortitude in this time of grief. God bless.

1 person likes this.
  10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Sorry to hear about your loss. You are in shock naturally and it will take some time to come out of it. Although the why? why? question is instinctive you can never know what was really going on in her mind. Probably there were some reasons, maybe they will come out with time.

This kind of incident reinforces my belief that we must put more and more effort in actually communicating with the younger generation, be more accepting of them actively encourage them to confide in us about what is going on, and keep an open door policy in general...toooo many cases these days where the kid was normal, seemed fine and then suddenly one fine day all are in shock.