1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Effect of not having cable tv, on child

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Sumathy, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear friends,

We dont watch cable TV in our house. It has been so for the last 7 years since our daughter was born - mainly because we felt that after a hard day at work, you'd rather spend time with the family than sit in front of TV. We also did not want to leave the child with the nanny at home with the cable TV connection available. Now, when grandparents visit, we give the cable connection and they watch selectively. Otherwise, we watch cartoon dvds / some movies in the weekend and occasionally sports events. My daughter, around 7 years old, does not seem to mind this. When she comes back after a vacation with my nephews in chennai, she keeps talking about some programs and wants to watch them if there is cable connection. But she is easily distracted from it if one of us sits with her for some games / lessons / reading. Occasionally she also talks about some programs which other kids at school are commenting on.

Now our dilemma is this: though we are convinced that she is not missing anything by not watching cable tv, can this realy go on? Will she feel that she is deprived of something that most other kids get to experience? Since we have a very open relationship in our family, we keep talking to her and we have not yet felt that she is affected by this. But she definitely loves watching some movies repeatedly in the weekends and we do allow that. The other concern of letting kids watch programs / movies is the explicit romance and the mindless violence. How does one handle the peer effect on these things? Where does one draw a line?

Cheers,
    Sumathy

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sumathy,

This is a common conflict I guess in most houses,To allow or not to allow??

I think anything in moderation is fine.You do not need to essentially deprive you child but then you can always explain the pros and cons. I guess knowing the limitations help.
    These days there are a certain disciplinary techniques involving the chalking out a schedule for your child, Teaches them to be disciplined and time management!!

Love,
    Devika

3. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Dear sumathy,

Your post reminds my college days.Since both I and my db were studying ca,My parents didnot give the cable connection.We used to fight with our parents for the same.Of course it is true to greater extent that kids are getting destracted and they learn more bad things than good things from tv.

But Now a days, other than cartoon network and pogo,there are good channels like animal planet which are good to watch.So i feel atleast 1/2 an hour during weekdays and 2hrs during holidays, they should be allowed to watch tv.This gives them more exposure.

I have seen, in some houses, kids are not even allowed to play.I don't know if the kids would grow in healthy environment if they are not allowed to play.

So you can allow your kid to watch tv but as devika said, you can draw a schedule for your kid. This is My 2cents

4. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Devika,

Thanks for your reply. Drawing a schedule with the kid's participation is a good idea. And as you say, it will teach with them time management and responsibility.

Cheers,

Sumathy

5. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamala,

I agree with you about the good programs on animal planet / national geographic. Infact, my daughter will instantly go for those channels only when there is cable tv.

Cant imagine how kids are not allowed to play. Coming from a place where we saw a TV only when we were in 10th std, our student lives revolved around play only. Now also, I find that my daughter would prefer to play than do anything else. Her most favourite, being a girl, is 'Pretend play' taking on characters at school and home!

Thanks for your reply,

Cheers,

Sumathy

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sumathy,

as long as your child is not very much interested in tv it fine. But than the movies, I would suggest you can watch along with her national geography, history channels or if you don't want cables..you can still get the cds of the very good programmes of national geography and other channels.

In my house, we have only cable tv with very nominal channels. My FIL needs to watch some tamil channels. and I have requested him not to watch serials in the weekend and he does oblige.

I don't cut off the tv completely because, these days the kids at school discuss all the tv serials and pogo, jetix programmes. the kids should not feel left out.

I give them both half an hour slot to each. they have to chose a programme of their choice and watch. of course the programme will be part of disney or some children channels.We have told them the pros and cons of watching tv continuously.

Movies, I am choosy.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I have also been feeling that some selected programs may be better than movies. We do choose movies carefully but you still get the usual dose of adult stuff in them.

Reading the replies here, I am thinking that it may be better to give her slots and specific channels to choose from. I am also seriously considering getting only some channels.The only worry I had was that will it not kind of bind her to the TV routinely during that spot? For instance, if we want to go out during that time or guests come, will she able to skip watching that - I dont know because it looks like some programs are serial - like? Like now, even the movies happen only when she does not have anything else to do. Otherwise, she finds lots of things to do to amuse herself. That is the reason I was withholding this - anyway, we need to experiment, I guess! New challenges with the new generation!!

Thanks again friends, for your replies.

Cheers,

Sumathy

8. Falguni

Falguni New IL'ite

Dear Sumathy,

I completely understand your concern as I, too, have a 4-year old son. I have kept a schedule for him as to what programmes he wants to watch. Generally he prefers to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Tigger and Pooh which are very interactive. He also likes watching Art Attack and tries to make some of the things with us.

As for your concern about when we go out or when we have guests at home. Here is what I do with my son. If we are going to go out during that time, he can see a different programme before or after our outing. Alternatively, he can see the repeat telecast of it. Most of these programmes get repeated. The same rule applies when there are guests at home. At certain times if there are kids from our building playing in the compound, he goes down to play or ride his bicycle and he watches a different programme after he comes back home.

As a rule, there is absolutely no TV while having meals or while he has his milk.

I hope this helps. Also, anything that you may try and is helpful is also a most welcome suggestion.

Regards

9. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Falguni,

Thanks for your reply. Your practice of giving an alternate time to watch sounds good. We are trying to come up with some schedule. Will keep you posted on what works out.

As we haven't had TV at all for many years (we bought only 2 years back and it used to be out only when grandparents are visiting), my daughter does not even know of many programs which come repeatedly. She talks of one program which we will probably let her watch to begin with. Haven't really enforced it yet as the TV is now off in another room and generally none of us go to that room unless we have grandparents visiting us. She has also completely forgotten after grandparents left last week (we have had the tv going for the last 2 months due to grandparents/cousins, etc ) and does not even enter the room. I am waiting to see if she will bring up the request and then talk to her.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Sumathy