1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Have you guys been for fruit / veggie picking recently?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by bharthi, Jan 27, 2007.

1. bharthi

bharthi Junior IL'ite

Self-picking fruits in Orchids and Farms

A friend of mine told me that there are farms in Ohio which will allow us to go into farms and pick our own Cherries, Strawberries and Blueberries. When we come out of the farm, we pay for amount of fruits we picked by weight. She told me that it is fun activity to do when the weather is nice.

I am trying to find if there are any such farms in California (that are near by Las Vegas). Does anyone know? Thank you.

Bharthi

2. indira

indira Junior IL'ite

3. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

Hi People,
    I thought this thread would be of some interest. A lot of people go fruit / veggie picking in summer, right through end of september i believe. Time / Month varies ofcourse with location. I would like you all to share info about your fruit/veggie picking experience, recent or an previous one. Please write the name of the location, hours of travel, the whole experience and also if the fruits/veggies were more expensive than your local grocer. Sometimes they are priced a lot lesser than what you get at your grocers. Not mentioning, it is soooooooo FRESH, the tender fruit or veggie plucked right out of the tree.

If you have a garden in your front / back yard, you may post your gardening experiences too.

We had been fruit picking last weekend at Brentwood, CA. We picked Apricots, Peaches & Nectarines. We also bought pre picked cherries and strawberries.

The experience was amazing. We also had a picnic basket and enjoyed warm idlis and chutney/m.podi. Usually we are used to eating out, either a subway, quizno, panera's or whatever veggie food available in that particular place.
    Taking homecooked SI food on the trip was an entirely new experience to me esp out of India. For sometime i was just feeling the skin of the fruit, its so unbelievably soft and fresh, much more than the freshest local grocer.
    What say?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  4. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

Re: Self-picking fruits in Orchids and Farms

Bharati, there are many such farms in CA. You may just need to google it. Brentwood is very famous for fruit esp cherry picking. Also famous is brentwood oils especially olive oil.

5. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

6. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,
    we have been thinking of going to fruit picking for a very long time. when ever we plan some thing or the other comes. this summer for sure we will go. i will share my experience after that.

7. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

Great to know that shree. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

8. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Priya,
    Glad to know u had a good time. yes it is very fresh and a nice experience too and my son also loves it. this time i wanted to try veggie picking, we usually go for fruit nearby.
    with homecooked food it is even more better, nothing beats the home cooked food.
    now even if we go to park i try to pack some puliyodara or some roti etc to make it like picnic and we enjoy it. now my son wants to eat out everyday like that, lol!
    very relaxing!

9. siva_sundari

siva_sundari New IL'ite

hi pixelarch,

nice to know you went or fruit picking...could you provide me with details? me and my hubby were trying to go..

sivagami

10. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

Dear Chaaral,
    Nice to know that u have puliodara or some roti and make a picnic out of it when u step outside to the park. Its a great feeling. Opening your lunchbox packed with homecooked food especially when u are outside, tired after playing or sight seeing or simply any activity.
    Off late i realise that nothing comes close tohome cooked food. Previously in mumbai we are used to snacking so much and so many variety.

East coast has more access to pick your own farms i believe as its closer to home. We did have a long drive here. But it was well worth in the end. We may go again for veggie picking next time or cherry picking again next year.

Look forward to hear abt your experiences here chaaral.

P