1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Share Your survival experience in this severe cold weather!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by menuvenki, Nov 20, 2014.

1. menuvenki

menuvenki Silver IL'ite

In November itself lots of area in USA suffered by record low temperature almost equal to what we experience in mid January. All the weather channels already started discussing on arctic blast. It is going to more severe in upcoming days.
    We are living and working in the home of the world world's worst weather. How you guys surviving in this worst conditions.
    These are some basic tips to survive on this weather:
    1.Layering and using woll and synthetic materials is best way to dress.
    2.Use the COLD acronym to help to remember this TIP
    C - Clean: Keep your layers clean. Dirt and sweat can mat down air spaces, reducing your clothes' warmth.
    O- Overheating: Sweating dampens your skin and clothes, which leads to further chill. Avoid overheating by adjusting your layers accordingly.
    L - Loose Layers: Blood flow is essential to staying warm. Tight-fitting clothing can restrict your circulation.
    D - Dry: Wet clothing is your enemy in the cold. Avoid absorbent cotton fabrics and keep your neck area loose to allow moisture to escape.
    3. A lot of times it's the seemingly simple things, like lack of food and hydration, that cause the biggest problems.
    4. If you're traveling in wintry conditions, think ahead and put some blankets or a sleeping bag in your trunk.
    5. Aside from blankets and matches, a first-aid kit, a gallon jug of water and some energy bars or chocolate can come in handy.

Share your experience and valuable tips how you cope in this worst weather conditions.Pour your tips friends to help others and newcomers to this weather condition.

3 people like this.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My only tip: Turn off your sprinklers! One of my neighbor's was kind enough to keep his turned on yesterday. The lows were close to the teens here day before yesterday night. Yesterday morning I had a perfect ice skating experience in the alley with my car. I normally don't care when people don't follow water restrictions and turn on sprinklers as and when they please but yesterday was the limit.

OP,
    I live in the south and feel terrible for you guys up in IOwa. Stay warm and stay safe! Keep flash lights and spare batteries in your car too. Please keep your phones fully charged and let someone know when you are driving out in these conditions.

Today we we had perfect weather. Our highs in the 50s, all the ice and snow melted and we had warm sunshine. Hope you get this weather your way soon!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. menuvenki

menuvenki Silver IL'ite

Thanks Laks for your tip really helpful while traveling. Im bit of jealous on bcos your highs are 50's...

2 people like this.
  4. menuvenki

menuvenki Silver IL'ite

Any tips how your kids and toddlers managing this climate?

5. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

These are some of the things that I would do to help my kids survive thro' this cold weather.

1. Try to keep heating within the house at 70s, always have the humidifier on in their room overnight. That helps to keep their skin from getting dehydrated too much.
    2. Make the kids wear 2-3 layers of clothing than just wearing a single layer and a thick outer jacket. While going out make sure their ears are completely covered.
    3. Make them wear socks thro' the night in bed and when they have a congestion I rub some vicks on their foot and then wear the socks.
    4. Give them a lot of fluids like juice rich in vitamin C (in room temp), warm soups and literally force them to drink lots of water. Kids think they need not drink much water during cold weather.
    5. Pack super nutritious snacks during the cold weather that will help fight cold and flu in this season. Like dried fruits, raw vegetables, yogurt, whole wheat crackers with cheese, etc.

3 people like this.
  6. menuvenki

menuvenki Silver IL'ite

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The ice storm today really sucks! Sitting here listening to the plows all day, currently they are scraping ice. Survival is staying home for two days with the cat.