1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MY baby is not taking food,close tightly her lips when i give her food.

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by renusudhi, Jun 23, 2008.

1. renusudhi

renusudhi New IL'ite

hai,
    my daughter ,of age 6.5 months dont take any other food other than breast milk.i tried to give her cerelac but she tightly close her lips .only thing she do is drink orange flavoured glucose water.she look at us when we eat our food and like to get it from ours..but how can i giv her spicy foods.whole the night crying since she is hungry.so i have feed her constantly BM.what i will do to make her attractive to food.i dot hav thta much milk also to give her,also if i give her Smilac ..INfant formula that alos he hates,the only thing she like is BM..what to do..i am worried.

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Renu, did you try giving her something else? Maybe she doesn't like the taste of cerelac, you can try boiled and well mashed sweet potatoes. They are naturally sweet and also good first food. Our seven month old daughter loves sweet potatoes. I mix it with rice or oatmeal cereal. You can also try mashed bananas.

I would also suggest that at this point not to give her orange flavored glucose water as she will get used to the sugar in the drink and may not want to try anything else. She really doesn't need the extra sugar right now (my personal opinion :)). And since she's on BM she doesn't need water either until she eats solids.

Raj

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Dear renu,
    my daughter when she was young had the same problem and i solved it by diluting the cerelac with milk and fed in a feeding bottle, some babies do not like solids now and she took sometime after coming to my mom's place looking at every one eating idli and some solid then she tried and later took to solids, you can try that with her..sunkan

4. Neeti

Neeti New IL'ite

Renu first stop getting panic.
    Babies are very smart in reading our facial expressions .
    If she is not intrested in sweet things try some dal puree or mixed vegetable puree or mashed potato with little salt ..Do not change recipe frequently. Or try to distract her at that time by showing some things that she likes very muchTry to understand her taste or why she is not eating ?Take liquids for producing brest milk.every time you nurse her drink a glass of water or any liquid.
    She is very young she will take some time in developing taste....

Neeti

5. subashri

subashri New IL'ite

hi friends,

i have the same problem like renu......my son is 1 1/2 yrs old ..he takes absolutely (i really mean it)nothing except pediasure milk .he never opens his mouth...even if i give him some thing by force he spits it out.....i feel very bad .....i cry almost everyday....but he is active ...i also have 6 yr old daughter with whom i didnt face any problem like this......pls pls pls .some body help me .......

helpless mother,
    suba

6. priyaprem

priyaprem Bronze IL'ite

Suba

Have u discussed this with your PEDIAC? Why don't you try to give mashed and strained vegetables and fruits? Discuss this with your doc and you can relax if he says that it's ok as i am also concerned whether he could get all his nutrients only through milk?

7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi Suba,
    I would surely encourage you to talk with your pediatrician regarding this.At this age they need lot of nourishment which they can't get just from milk. I know kids can have oral aversion in which case they will be unable to take solid foods.If possible I would consult a GI and get his opinion regarding this.
    Hope you find a solution
    Mangai

8. subashri

subashri New IL'ite

dear priya and mangaii,

thank you so much for your valuable suggestions..i had spoken to my doctor.......he also tells me to give fruits and vegetables.......but the problem is ,,how to give.....i've tried many methods and still trying...can you tell me any method to give food....i hope one fine day he starts eating...

regards
    suba

9. priyaprem

priyaprem Bronze IL'ite

Dear Suba

If youré ok with it, why don't you try giving Gerber food, you have strained fruits as well as vegtables available..start with fruit first, as we need to develop taste for your baby other than the milk, then you could go for veggies, and i am giving my 9 mth old daughter that for evening brunch, i also tasted it...it's really yummy, and i'm sure your baby will like it, and you can be sure of the quality available in the UAE market....try for it and let us know the results .....

10. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi..As long as the baby's weight gain is good and active..Do not fret a lot..My son started taking solids properly only around 10 months..He lived on BM ,banana and biscuits.Do not try to give cereal in bottle.It is dangerous some times..Try cerelac(wheat with banana),,even the most fussy eater will like that.Try giving it at a particular time every day.I tried for about 2 weeks ,at 10 am..Do not BF,if he is hungry and demands..instead try to give solids..