1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does your toddler still wears pull ups for winter nights?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by AnithaPartha, Nov 13, 2014.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies,

My DS is going to turn 5. We stopped pull ups at his age 4 and he was very fine in summer. Now, it is winter and unknowingly accidents happen at night time and all his blankets, bed covers, mattress gets wet when he wakes up and I'm tired of doing laundry daily so we started using pull ups for him though its discomfort for him but he still wears it on as there is no other choice.

He has his dinner by 7pm and milk by 8pm and goes to bed by 9 pm. He uses restroom twice before going to bed but never wakes us up in the middle of his sleep and bed gets wet in the morning.

We make sure he uses restroom before going to bed but it is winter and we can't help it out in the middle of the night. We tried to wake him up at 1am or so when I wake up to use restroom but he gets cranky at that time so I stopped waking him up. Once he woke us and he used restroom but after that he stopped waking us as he is very tired and goes to deep sleep.

Please share your thoughts about this.

2. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi i know someone who still wets at night eventhou he is 10 yr old.. as per me i think its okay to wake them in the middle and take them to bathroom and being winter we ourselves go more times than usually, eventhou its not easy to disturb their sleep but on the long run it will help him... instead of peeing all the way thru 10,12 yrs... and also giving milk at little late might be one thing to avoid...lets see what others suggest...

3. kirthi82

kirthi82 Gold IL'ite

Hi anitha,
    It s fine Kids used to wet bed bcoz while sleeping they will try to remove the blankets which we wear on top of them to feel cozy. Once they remove it, they feel cold and unknowingly they wet the bed. My ped said, stop giving liquid 2 hr before they go to bed and at midnight when you or your husband wake up,slowly take him to bathroom (try not to switch on light,i knw it sound weird but use dim light or small light ). In my house,my son will feel to pee during early mrg say 6 or 7 am. I just take him to bathroom ,pee n take back to bedroom and sleep .If you schedule a time in midnite that you or your husband take him to bathroom, he will get used to it and wont bed wet.

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

There is a hormone that makes the urine concentrated during night. The production of this hormone usually starts when the child is 2-3 years but sometimes this is delayed. This causes the bedwetting. Sometimes also the child is also a very heavy sleeper and there is a device that you can get from the hospital that starts an alarm when the first drop of urine is coming in the bed and wakes the child. (It did not work for us, the whole family and probably also the neighbors woke up but my daughter continnued to sleep). The bed wetting may run in families.

I have had three bed wetters and they became "dry" when they were 6-7 years old except my younger daughter who had to take a hormone complement and became dry when she was 10. I used pull ups as it helps everyones life.

Nocturnal enuresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Please dont stress him. This is normal. Just make sure you wake up 2 times during night and take him to restroom. that helps him....

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My vote is for the pull up at night. I made the mistake of taking my potty trained DD to the bathroom in the middle of the night during that first winter. She was not yet two then. I didn't want potty training regression. Even now, she needs to wake up and go to the restroom at night as a result her sleep is so disturbed. It takes her ages to go back to sleep. Staying dry at night is a developmental milestone. They will get there eventually. Don't stress about it too much.

7. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame