Hong Kong -MUST-Do Trip with KIDS, aged between 7-12

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific - Other Areas' started by preethiitech, Nov 10, 2014.

1. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,

The purpose of this thread is to share about the holiday experience that we had in HK. While browsing earlier, had not seen much info about this in our Indusladies>> So here it goes.. Sure, a 'MUST-Do Trip with KIDS, may be age between 7-12'.. younger kids also do fine , just like mine , about 2 years old..

We(Dh , Dd and me) planned a leisure-easy trip at our own pace as DD is less than 2 years old, she might need her own sweet time, naps etc.Prior to the trip, we did a lot of homework, where to go, what to do, what to buy etc

That which helped us most was the Android Apps 'Hong Kong Travel' which are governed by the tourism ministry of HK. They were very helpful since they allowed us to choose from a list of places, also indicating the nearest MRT station, directions to reach the place etc.

Where we went:waitingsmiley
    1. Ngong Ping 360 village incorporating the Cable car, the village walk, the monastery, the 12 pillars, wisdom path and the big Buddha
    2. Avenue of Stars and the casual evening walk
    3. The Ocean park theme park with the awesome penguin shows, dolphin show, fun rides, roller coasters, kids play area, kids rides, cable car, musical fountain and the grand aquarium.. There were many more we missed, its a huge place!
    4. The Peak Tram ride and the sky terrace to see the HK view, wax museum
    5. Busy markets of HK, mong kok, temple street

What I liked about HK::cheers
    1. People were very courteous, and every single time we were on the MRT, how much ever crowded it may be, a kind local gave me a seat to sit down since I was carrying a bag and the baby.
    2. Loved to see the new city with people rushing about at all times of the day
    3. The tall sky scraping buildings
    4. The vegetarian food that I could get

:hide:It was sure an awesome place, but the walks we took in all the subways, to board on and off the trains, to reach our destinations were sure tiresome, even more tiresome carrying a 2 year old toddler. It was a nice 4-day but couldn't keep thinking how people live in such small rooms... The price is very expensive.. Comparing to Malaysia, I always felt the contrast, smaller space, 4 times expensive..faintingsmiley

In fact these days I am thinking, Malaysia is one of the cheapest places where you can live luxuriously..thinkingsmiley

1 person likes this.

2. Young@heart

Young@heart Silver IL'ite

I fully agree to you Preeti..
    We too had a lovely vacation in HongKong in October.
    To add to your list, we went to Disneyland too though I personally liked Oceanpark more. Both my kids are in 7-12 range so we personally had a lot of fun and did not mind the walk at all.
    Highly Recommended.

1 person likes this.
  3. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Young heart.. you are right, the ocean park has more features, games and lesser crowd.. Disney is over hyped, so we dint go.. Also, one of our friends' family who went to Disney said they just went for 2 rides since the queues were soooooo long..

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I was in HK in 2002 and it was really great but lately I am hearing that HK is not that good now (from Chinese friends originally from HK). Did neither of you notice anything? I would love to go back there sometime.

I didn't go with kids but enjoyed IMAX, pink dolphin watch, cultural heritage museum, Ocean Park, and that fishing village out at the end of Lantau Island is really interesting. The vegetarian meat restaurant on the main drag in Tsim Tsa Tsui is really worth visiting.

1 person likes this.