1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weaning off from bm

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sahityaj, Sep 9, 2014.

1. sahityaj

sahityaj Silver IL'ite

Tennu will be 13 months old on sept 15th. I will be joining hostel by 20th sept. Stopped all the bm feeds in the daytime. Giving only midnight feed between 3-6am once. My mom gives him cow milk 2 times in the day - once at 8am after he wakes up and other at 4 pm before his naptime. Night she gives buffallo milk before going to bed. She gives milk in a glass with a spoon. He got adjusted to this but dont know how to give the milk in the middle of the night when i stop that. Becoz if we give in glass with spoon he will be wide awake and will not sleep. He takes water in sippy cup but not regularly as he chews on that or plays.so my mom again gives water also with glass n spoon. So how to give midnight milk? Sippy cup or straw cup?
    -- we have this avent sippy cup with soft spout. We got it along with set of bottles and steam sterilizer from US. The set has only 1 sippy spout and other bottles have nipples which we never used till now. I searched online for buying only spouts to go for these bottles but dint find in india. Which brand sippy cup or straw cup should i buy which doesnt leak? Can i use the avent bottles with nipple for giving milk only in the night? Is it ok to start bottle now?
    ---- my mom gives 3 glasses ( steel tea glass) of milk daily apart from 1 feed i give. Is it sufficient for 13 month old? His wt is 9 kg.

2. sahityaj

sahityaj Silver IL'ite

Sorry for many questions as iam really worried becoz i have to wean him soon and also he is teething now (first time)

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is not a good idea to start bottle at this age. Train him for sippy cups. You can try hard spout sippers - non spill proof ones (Amazon.com : The First Years Take & Toss 4 Count Spill-Proof Trainer Sippy Cups with Removable Handles, 7 Ounce : Take And Toss Sippy Cup Lids : Baby) which do not require much effort. That way you can give him any liquid in the night easily if required.

You have not mentioned the quantity of milk he has during the day. Without that information it is difficult to say if it is sufficient.

You can wean him off in the night completely. There are many babies who sleep through the night. That way he will have a good sleep in the night.

4. sahityaj

sahityaj Silver IL'ite

Ramya- is the sipper you mentioned available in india?
    He takes around 300 ml milk other than midnight bm.how much quantity should i give after stopping bm completely?
    tennu wakes up only once for night feed. Rarely he sleeps through the night. He is teething now so started demanding bm again.

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sorry about the late reply.

I am sure there are similar sippers available in India.

6. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Its Sep 19th today. Joining hostel tomorrow? So what have you done?

Sure, starting bottles now is not advisable. Saying that, bottles with teats are easier to adapt for a BF session compared to changing to a cup.. The ideal way is to make him skip that feed totally.. Good luck and keep us posted.

7. sahityaj

sahityaj Silver IL'ite

hey preethi. i haven't joined the hostel yet. going there on monday. i bought 1 hard spout sipper and a straw cup. but lo didnt accept both. he got used to glass and spoon. he associated milk with the glass. i completely stopped feeding. he wakes up once in the night, but takes water with sipper or pacifier and dozes of immediately. only rarely he takes milk that too with glass n spoon. am relieved.
    but there is another problem now. after stopping feeds completely for 3 days, i got pain in the breasts. so i gave him bm again. can anyone tell me how to stop refilling?
    my friend told me about metoclopramide tab but i dont want to go for tablets.

8. ds0612

ds0612 Bronze IL'ite

i am in the same boat as you...try to put cabbage leaves on your breasts...its supposed to dry up the milk..i did it with my first one..now once I stop night feedings..i plan to do the same thing. good luck