1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Simple pleasures of life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Nov 3, 2014.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

SIMPLE PLEASURES OF LIFE
    Yesterday morning when I woke up and went to brush, I found an empty tooth paste tube.I am not the giving up type.I put the tube between the door and hinges and pushed.Lo-there it was –enough paste out of the tube to last for the day.I examined the tube and felt that there was enough material for one more brushing.Squeezing and using a match stick alternatively I took the life out of the tube today.My daughter gave me a funny look. I did not mind having had the simple pleasure of stretching the usefulness of the tube.
    My brother derived immense pleasure from the number of shaves he got from the shaving blade.That he did not take it casually was evident by the paste it paper in the shelf showing the dates on which he had the shave.After use, he airdried the blade and kept it in the original pack.He strictly followed the instructions.This was a subject of animated conversation between like minded friends during lunch hour.After the final use the blade was used for removing laundry threads,detaching caps from medicine bottles and occasionally covering books/note books with brown paper.
    Recently when I visited a friends house,I found the lady giving cough syrup to her grandson.There was just enough to give one dose.However the lady poured some water in the empty bottle and gave the mixture to the child.The bottle was clean and as good as new.The lady explained that the cost of the syrup had gone up thirty times in thirty years and she did not have the heart to waste it.
    It is a common sight to see tetra pack fruit juices being turned in different angles and directions to suck the last drop out of the pack.
    There is a an elderly lady who makes a small hole in the milk packet,drains the milk,pours some water through the hole,shakes it up and cleans up the packet.She then cuts the packet into neat square or rectangular shapes.cleans them up and dries them.She also saves the rubber bandsfrom medicine strips,grocery packets and stores them in a bottle.She regularly uses the milk packet strips and rubber bands for packing food.Even an aluminium foil pack is no match for the elegant and neat packing innovated by this lady.
    It is Saturday evening.Subbu is restless.He looks at the neat used news paper bundle assembled lovingly over a month.For the third time he counts the news papers and finds all thirty days news papers intact.His neighbour had told him that X days news papers weigh one kg.Subbu has a tryst with his Raddiwallah on Sunday and every time it is a battle of wits between the two.Subbu has also carefully hidden the advertisement material received with the paper,in magazines.After all, they weigh more than a kilo.Selvam the Raddiwala comes the next day.There is a mandatory inspection of the weighing scale,untwisting of the ropes holding the tharasu,the standard weights- whether they have the seal of weights and measures department etc.The papers are weighed under the hawkful eyes of Subbu who fails to notice that the weight has been switched when Subbu’s attention is diverted.At the end, both are happy –Subbu says no one can cheat him and Selvam for having successfully taken Subbu for a ride.A maximum of one kilo is involved in the whole process but it is a matter of simple pleasure and great pride for Subbu of his attention to details.
    What do these instances prove.We Indians have been trained not to waste and materials are designed for reuse.The lady of the house a master of frugalityand expert in recycling. guided the family to avoid wastage and steered us through difficult times.I remember my mother used to put a couple of ladles of rice in an emptied curd bowl and produce yummy curd rice as if by magic.With both working today, earning well and with a tight work schedule there is no time to notice wastage nor have they the energy to arrest it.Our children today are oblivious of the simple pleasures of life we enjoyed as youngsters

19 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Excellent post Laxminarayan Sir and got some tips from your thread how to save and use not wasting anything . That lady about the milk packet is super. My husband also used the colgate paste till the last squeezing is much as possible. I think people from olden days are taught how to be happy with simple pleasures of life. Your post was a nice read for me early in the morning. Thanks Mama and namaskaram to you. I am going to the finest post to nominate the same

2 people like this.
  3. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Nice post sir.. reminded me of my childhood days when my mother used to do the same with toothpaste.. at that time we children found it quite amusing like whats so big deal if a little paste got wasted.. but now I thank my stars for a mother like her..had it not been for her modest upbringing, we children wont have realised the importance of optimum utilisation of things and thus saving a few bucks.. :)

4. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

by reading ur post me too got some useful tips n ideas.....if i forgot to buy paste in monthly provisions me to would done the same thing for the sake of not gettg scolded by our family members:hide:thanks for sharing

5. kalpavriksham

kalpavriksham Gold IL'ite

oh very good sir.
    esp., hiding ad. sheets in btn. paper bundle is too good.
    Subbu and Selvam , no chance.
    my mother, oh, she used to put warm water in the milk cover so as not to waste even a single drop of milk!!
    she also used to use the used-up match-sticks to light the other burners, not wasting the sparks of the electric lighter. "idhu eppadi irukku?"
    with so many children and meagre salary, these things were "essential pleasures"for her.

now i am going along with Vijimma to nominate this that gives me immense pleasure!

Pranams.

\

6. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

Dear sir , the pleasure and satisfaction of being efficient is much much more than the actual monetary benefit .
    It is a pleasure enjoyed uniquely by indians .
    Very nice post . Simple day to day pleasures of life are much more valuable.

1 person likes this.
  7. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Nice article, Appa and the toothpaste example is too good!

8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viji,
    Thanks. There are many such things which flood our memory of our childhood. When children outgrew their dress they were always recirculated among siblings and cousins.Idli usili and vellaiappam from dosai mavu were always a hit with us.Though memories start fading with age these are things which you can never forget.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

1 person likes this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear memeera,
    Nice of you to compliment your mother for inculcating the habit of valuing things in life. Many might not have left money or properties but the legacy of good things they have left for us is invaluable.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

1 person likes this.
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Uma,
    Thanks. Struggle with the tooth paste tube is a regular monthly affair.When ever we use some thing we have to ask ourselves-is it the best that can be got out of it.Try this-you will share lot of ideas with us.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

1 person likes this.