1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

PILS going to stay with us for long

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by tulip2012, Oct 28, 2014.

1. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

My PILS were there with me for few weeks.. looks like they will be with them for longer duration.
    The problem is I will not have any freedom, MIL will put her nose into everything.
    I have a maid but still to manage everything is not an easy task.
    I will be lacking the precious my time which i will use to do things which makes me happy.. my hobbies.
    If at all i use late night for my work my MIL will start acting as if I know to use time for things which I like, why cant I also do things for her DD and DD'd DD too( may be give them stitched dress etc)
    what ever i do wil be taken for granted and her DD will get head ache if she doesnt sleep at 8:00 PM at night! strange huh!!

feeling sad, but will manage.. :(

DH will play a good sons role even offering them to use our bedrooom though we have an equally cosy room for them, but it has no AC.
    We do not live in a hot place too...

2. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

some things you can try is fibbing, keeping her out of the loop, informing at last minute. but mostly ignoring works. don't let her get your goat.

sindmani likes this.
  3. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

Sorry to hear but u will get through...
    like in most of the thread i read..try to develop thick skin and do not change ur schedule. One thing to tend to their need , and another to bend over.
    Draw the line.

4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Offering the room because of A/C, or being a good son - those two are not a crime, and as a son he has a responsibility to be a good son. Regarding other troubles, try to tell your H in a good way to help you where he can.

2 people like this.
  5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can you finish all ur work at night (everybody's dinner etc), as early as possible like 8.00 or 8.30, and go to ur room and lock? this time you use as "me time" till u go to sleep.

Same, after lunch also if you are at home, go and relax and do ur stuff in ur room.

sindmani and nb25 like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Your MIL's DD means your sister-in-law? So, it is just your PILs visiting or your sister-in-law and her DD are also visiting?

Try to minimize the bedroom problem. If you and husband move into the no-AC room for the duration of their visit as a courtesy, it is part of being good hosts. Can you do that much? Do you care about the AC? Can you handle this much adjustment?

If your husband is making your room available to them as and when needed, then, it is not right. You need to have one room that you can call your own, preferably lock from inside and that others are not free to enter as per their will even if it is unlocked and nobody is in it.

It is not right when a person is unable to freely spend time on some hobby or activity in his or her own home after completing other duties and obligations. Having to struggle for such a basic thing spending time on something you like, is a pain. Hope time flies and their visit is done. Try to keep the long term in mind - if you complain too much to husband, the in-laws problem will still be there, but after they are gone the memory of your complaining will linger. All your suffering will be of no use.

Hang in there. This too shall pass.

2 people like this.
  7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Get an a/c for guest room . This way you need not move out of your room .

As they will be making future visits too , it is much better to invest in a/c .

Not sure what your hobby is but it will only increase your practice and name in your circles if you gift the output of hobby to someone else maybe your Sil too .

thos way you can avoid mil nagging by saying that you are working on your gift to sil and continue to do your own thing . Gift something you made at the end of the trip .

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Make the guest room so nice they never want to come out. New bedspread, tv, move the A/c into there (or get another one). You will just be paying for peace of mind.

5 people like this.
  9. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  10. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

Ragini,
    If at all they want to use AC it is fine. FIL doesnt even use FAN.. so just for caourtsey sake I dont think I should let them take our room as both rooms are equally set. In fact our room has all our cupborads and belongings which are needed frequently

1 person likes this.