Career change - returning back to India

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by pavi403, Oct 21, 2014.

1. pavi403

pavi403 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    This thought would have crossed your mind, if you have plans to return to India for good.
    I am into IT for the past 8 years now. We live in Sydney currently and have plans to return to India and settle down.
    My main concern is, I cant work in IT in India, cos the bad work culture and unrealistic work culture.
    Being a working mom, I am able to balance work and personal life very well because I work for 8 hours here and I cant imagine working for 9.5 hours or more in india and travelling too much in traffic.
    So, I am looking at a career change after going back.

anybody has any suggestions on what is interesting thing to do in India?

Regards,
    Pavitra

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pavitra -

This also depends on which city you are moving to and what oppurtunites they are having.

If you move into teaching - engineering colleges, diploma/polytechnics, or even schools/arts/other colleges have computer subjects these days.
    Some teaching positions might require PG but your experience might be counted towards it.

This is what I was doing before coming to US and planning to do once I R2I as we are family now and have similar reasons.

3. pavi403

pavi403 New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply Sanju,

We are planning to move to Bangalore.
    Teaching looks like a good option, can you give more info on the PG I Might have to take up?
    I have never done teaching and am doubting my own abilities to manage studentsthinkingsmiley
    Will they ever listen to me?shakehead

4. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Work culture also depends to some extent on the kind of company you choose to get into. There are bad politics and other issues (including subtle racism) abroad as well.

As regards career, you can try the work-from-home option with companies that offer the same. Else you can look at your own startup if you want to be an entrepreneur. Teaching is also a good option, but one must have the interest and patience.
    How about tuitions from home?

5. pavi403

pavi403 New IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestion Anusha!
    Tutions from home caught my eye, that is interesting now. I would be living in an apartment and am sure to get students.

Work from home option, I am not sure how is it in India. When I was working earlier in India, my company never entertained wfh option.

Startup work - I was actually looking into this option, but wasn't sure of the safest option.
    I was looking at a boutique, but in Bangalore there are so many boutiques at every corner of the street
    Do you have any suggestions for start up business - what to go for?