1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jewellery and Sari

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by DKI, Oct 6, 2014.

1. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

On Friday we had a pooja at home for Vijayadashami. MIL asked if she could wear a necklace that I had. I had no issues so gave it to her for the occasion. About an hour before the function, I was getting ready for a shower, and kept my Sari out on my bed. It was my wedding sari. She has always had her eyes on it and for the past so many years has been dropping hints that it is the only colour she does not have and would love nothing more than to get the exact same sari.

She saw the sari and told me to choose another one, since she would like to wear it that evening. Her reasoning? Nobody has seen her wearing the sari, and it looks good on photos, hence she wanted to wear it. I point blank said no. Told her I had already decided on that, and was not changing my mind.

That night somebody commented on the necklace. She said "O this is Deepa's. Her father gave it to her, its just American Diamonds. I have a similar necklace in Chennai, but my husband bought me one with real diamonds"

Then later that night she tells me "Anyway, you will get my diamonds. I can barely wear them in Chennai because of fear of theft, so let me take this necklace with me and when you come next time you can take my diamonds" I replied that it was a gift for my 10th anniversary from my father. She said that it was not real diamonds, so why was I not willing to exchange for real diamonds. To that I told her that even if it was not real gold, and not real diamonds, and not real anything, it was from my parents. As a token of their love. They did for me what they could afford to do.

She never talked to me all weekend (no regrets there for me)

2. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Good Job. You stood up for it and she will think twice the next time she messes with you :) You go girl!

1 person likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Seriously...????she wants to wear your wedding saree???? The woman has lost it!!!

5 people like this.
  4. happyindianwife

happyindianwife New IL'ite

Good Job! She is a really attention seeker..Good you didn't give her what she wanted!

5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

YM - She asked to wear my wedding sari for a wedding 2 weeks after my wedding... so I have had practice in saying no :)

4 people like this.
  6. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

What she wanted to wear your wedding saree!! and want to exchange your necklace ( shaking my head here)

7. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

DKI,

What another month to go ?? I just can't wait for them leave you and your son alone...

2 people like this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Thank God...we in the north have rather elaborate wedding outfits.....not exchangeable between generations.:coffeeCan't imagine mine in my shocking pink lehenga choli...:rotfl

sindmani, kma, LuvUMom and 13 others like this.
  9. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

Lol, mine will never fit in mine....else she will be covered head to toe literally (she is too short :) )

2 people like this.
  10. Alildream

Alildream Gold IL'ite

Congrats Deepa!
    imitation is the best form of flattery! Your mil is so jealous/impressed with you, that she wants to ape you! Why else would she want to wear your sari and your Jewellery? She wants to be like you! Hah! And she secretly knows that she can't!

Kera likes this.