1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cold and cough for 2.5 months old. Please suggest some remedies.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by cutiepie66, Sep 28, 2014.

1. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

I told saline drops is accepted… it gives relif…but definitely it does not cure cold. I never said, that ramya’s remedy WILL HARM BABY. I told that it’ll not reduce cold. Breast milk will improve immunity & overall health of baby, so doctors don’t recommend any medicine…I know that.

Here discussion was about “cold” not “boils in eyes”.

COLD is caused only by virus….”Allergy” is a different subject. Allergies can cause cold like symptoms(few symptoms), but its not COLD (infection).

Cold weather is not allergy. Cold weather reduces immunity & virus survives for longer time & spread easily. Again when weather is cold, virus causes the cold(infection) not the weather.

I’m allergic to lemon. When I eat or drink lemon juice. I get cold like symptoms. It’s because my immune system mistakes lemon as dangerous substance & my immune system takes necessary steps to destroy & eliminate lemon juice…as a result excessive mucus is produced in my nose & throat…that’s called allergy. I know lemon has lot of vitamin c & good for health, but my immune system does not like it..its a manufacturing defect, its there since childhood…but it does not happen for everyone.

I know ayurveda better than u…I’m from doctor’s family… and also all my relatives r doctors..Including ayurvedic, allopathic, homeopathy & psychiatric. From childhood parents, grandparents, aunts & uncle have thought me lot about human body, its working mechanism, home remedies & ayurvedic remedies. Anyway finally I choose to become software engg…but still I have fare amount of knowledge about of allopathic , ayurvedic & homeopathic & different alternative healing like reiki, mudra hypnosis etc….

Discussion is about “cold(the infection)” not “cold (the temperature)”. … I can’t repeat it again & again in all post… Some food gives cooling effect.. they release cold ...so wat ?????? they don’t release virus..thats wat is important. Ayurveda says 90% of Kapha causing foods are high in vitamin c … & it in-turn strengthen the immune system.

For ur kind info, not only 3 types, its further classified into vata-pitta, vata-kapha, pitta-kapha, vata-pitta-kapha. So totally 7 types….most of the people r tri dosha (vata-pitta-kapha).
    And people with body type Pitta eats Kapha foods , then nothing will happen in body…there wont be any effects.

I know all this are very very scientific … when did I say NO ????

But wat ramya suggested is not scientific…it might have worked for her, but it would have been coincidence.

If cold is left un-treated…body will heal itself without any medicines provided immune system is strong (in general, not for babies).

No, and I have not suggested any remedy for OP….its just a small debate between me & ramya..so u don’t interfere in between our debate.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

fallen angel i have no interest in interfering in your debate with ramya but since you asked about scientific explanation why moms are told to avoid few things while breastfeeding i had to give my two cents. r
    as you said this is a open forum , anyone can give your suggestion and just like you feel the suggestions can harm someone i feel your remarks are also not in good sense.

you might have doctors in your family but that does not qualify you to remark like this, i am a doctor not a paediatirics but i have fair knowledge of medicines and child health and i have keen interest in ayurvedic and naturopathy. so i can definitely say what you said breastmilk and diet relation is not right although i will not say i know better than you , as i feel the fields which are not mine i can never know better than someone who practices that filed.
    I am also a mom so i have first hand experience of all this. when my son was very young and got this severe cold the doctor, who BTW is a DM neonatologist from AIIMS , told me not to give any medicines and let it run its course . mostly very small babies are not given medicines for cold as it is viral infection but we do symptomatic treatment , ie reduce fever , discomfort ,prevent dehydration etc. so for cold baby will be given tylenol or paracetamol to reduce fever and discomfort but anti histaminics and other antibiotics are usually avoided. he would always say that for any minor illness its better you ask your mom or mil and try home remedies, he would also swear by god old home remedies.
    Although i dont like to quote anyones post but i had to do so for you , because when we are living in far off place and dont have our family elders we ask our friends who have kids to share their experience. i have been benefited a lot from this forum as a new mom , be it breastfeeding issues or other things and lots of tips by many members including ramya also have helped me a lot so although her suggestions might be weird to you, i dont see any harm in them as besides the things suggested by doctor , putting breastmilk with kumkum can not harm the baby.
    it would be my last response to you !

3. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

Can u explain this, I did not understand wat u r referring to.

Irrelevant explanation to this situation…y r u telling all this ???
    Wat ur AIIMS doctor told is right… no medicines.. even I believe & support same concept… but have u mentioned here ?... u have not read my previous posts on this thread… Definitely asking mom or mil for home remedies is very good. I’m not against home remedies . . . This is the reason I told not to interfere in the debate, because u have not read all my post on this thread..Definitely not read all lines …. U have just read few lines & started attacking on me..

Again not read my previous post correctly.. . I know that breastmilk with kumkum can not harm the baby…. Did I say it’ll harm ?

My question was very simple…how can milk + kumkum applied on forehead reduce cold ? Again here cold means infection (virus) not the temperature.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  4. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

Cutemoster: Doctor said not to give antibiotic but he has prescribed antihistamine (Piriton expectorant) for her. I am now confused. You said its not advisable to give anti histamines. What shall I do now? Confused. SHould I wait for it to subside on its own or should I go ahead with the medicine?

5. Telja

Telja Silver IL'ite

Consult one more doc and check ..........

6. jeevithamudiraj

jeevithamudiraj New IL'ite

no need to worry..apply some vicks on chest, throat, backside....after aplying vicks on the chest heat betel leaves on the pan and keep on the chest where you applied the vicks..dont keep so hot betel leaves it should be warm.. repeat it for atleast 10 times until vicks will go inside the chest

another remedy is do you know sonti(dry ginger) ? rub it on the rough ground so that you will get like paste.. mix this little bit of paste to your milk and feed the baby..:)

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

FallenAngel33: OP has asked for remedies and people here are offering remedies based on what they know/ practice and have seen others doing that. If you have any remedies to help OP, please go ahead and suggest. If not, i suggest you open another thread to discuss scientific aspects of home remedies (or the lack of it) and take the discussion there; perhaps it will help others. As such, a healthy discussion is encouraged but all I see as contribution from your end is relentless counter views on views posted in this thread.

Note to All:
    Please note that further comments which serve no purpose to OP will be removed.
    Condescending usage of words like "Madam" is not appreciated.
    We are a forum of moms who cater to the needs (emotional and otherwise) of moms. Please help maintain the high standards.

5 people like this.
  8. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Hi cutie pie
    As I said first we give the symptomatic treatment and try to avoid medicine but if the medicines are really needed then first line of drugs to treat cold is anti histamines, mostly T cold etc are given and even then if the baby is not getting well you give antibiotics to prevent the chance of pneumonia.
    I dont know how severe your baby's cold is, if you have concerns you can consult another doctor, but the chance is baby is not improving that's why doctor prescribed anti histaminics.

9. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

Cutemonster: I checked with doctor. He said mild anti histamine will not do any harm. The cold has subsided now. Thanks for everyone's reply.