1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cold and cough for 2.5 months old. Please suggest some remedies.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by cutiepie66, Sep 28, 2014.

1. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

Hello madam, mucus membrane is present in so many parts of our body...here we r discussing about cold( upper respiratory infection) specifically about mucus membrane in nose. Does ur nose generate 1 litre or mucus daily? :-D

Anyway y r u telling about daily mucus generation? ... I had mentioned, that if nose is infected, it produces excesses amount of mucus to flush out virus & it’s the fact.

Steam inhalation will reduce the congestion, I agree & its due to heat in the steam. But kunkum milk on forehead & rice pillow cannot do that. Again Plz don’t post any wiki links or articles to prove ur point...If possible post research papers published by some govt. research centre, something like this:
    Anticarcinogenic effect of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) and its ingredients
    The anticancer effect of saffron in two p53 isogenic colorectal cancer cell lines
    Saffron administration prevents selenite-induced cataractogenesis

Kunkum with milk when consumed orally may help to reduce cold (infection) to some extent. When applied on forehead really does not have any effect on cold (infection).

I did not ask u for a detailed scientific explanation. A little scientific explanation will do...u need not be a research scientist to do that ...even B.E graduate + management PG can do... or ...B.E + management + manager can also do :-D .. Hope u understood wat I meant :)

it’s a open forum, anyone can reply, u have no rights to stop me.

So i’m I..

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  2. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

Hi cutie

how is the baby?

hope now better.

take care,

resmij

3. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

Resmij: No it has got worse. Thought of avoding medicines as doctor said its advisable to avoid medicines in the first 3 months. Its getting worse. So have to take her to doctor on Saturday.

1 person likes this.
  4. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

Hi Cutie,

good that you took the child to doctor.

it is always better to consult.

take care.

regards
    resmij

5. AnkithaP

AnkithaP Junior IL'ite

resmij, are you weak in english ? :-D

OP has mentioned "So have to take her to doctor on Saturday."

6. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

Friends, I took her to doctor yesterday. He gave her medicine. Hopefully she should be ok in a day or two.

7. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

good that u took her to doctor. its very good that u did not follow some non-scientific remedies mentioned on this thread.

8. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

None of your business if I know English or not..- ANKITA notdonesmiley

9. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Hi cutie
    For cold it is better to show to the doctor as cold in small babies can worsen to pneumonia so its better to treat it before that.my son had a very bad cold at six-month age.
    Mostly doctor suggests saline nasal drop which you can put in the baby's nose to help in clearing mucus so that baby can breathe better. Besides that humidifier can be used it also helps in breathing. You can clear mucus with bulb syringe too.
    Dont give any over the counter cold medicines or put Vicks on nose etc as it can harm baby.
    cold takes its own time and we can just treat it symptomatically. Make sure you feed the baby adequate breastmilk .if you had cold too then feeding breastmilk will be more beneficial as it passes antibodies to the baby. The baby should not get dehydrated .
    check for fever as fever is sign of secondary infections and you will need to give medicine for it.
    some people rub baby Vicks on feet and put socks and it has helped their babies.
    Nebulizer can take out excess mucus , ask your doctor about that.its kind of mask and baby inhaled medicine vapors. It helped my son a lot.
    I hope your baby gets well soon

10. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Fallen angel do you have kids??
    Saline drop for baby is NOT some what accepted, it is the MOST accepted way to treat cold in babies. It is suggested by most doctors and most mom's will tell you that it works.
    secondly what ramya suggested is kind of home remedies which will not harm the baby , she never told op not to show to a doctor . Breastmilk can help relieve lot of things and many doctors try to avoid medicine in infants and suggest breast milk as a remedy. My cousin s son had a boil in eye when he was two months old and doctor told dont put medicine just put a drop of breast milk for three days it should get better and it did.
    What a mother eats can affect the breast milk and the baby , you can read more about that on Kelly mom.
    Colds are not only caused by virus but also some allergies , like some people are allergic to cold weather and get runny nose .although I ate almost everything while breastfeeding but many people avoid curd or grapes melons etc.as per ayurveda these foods items havr cold taseer ie they release cold in the body or have cooling effect. They are Kapha causing so should be avoided by people prone to cold. In ayurveda we have three body types and dosh , Kapha, vitta and pitta. And we have different food items which can increase this dosh , you can read more about that online or in any basic ayurveda book that how different food items can affect our body and it is very scientific .
    You can't discard anyone's suggestions as non scientific .may be it worked for ramya's babies so she suggested it and yeah, that pillow thing,in babies even doctor suggest that the head should be kept elevated to help the baby breathe better , I was also suggested by the doctor to keep some towels under baby's head, in usa many doctors also suggest to let the baby sleep in car seat so that the head is elevated. So maybe this grandma remedy would be applying that principal.