When exactly to keep kalasam?

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by peartree, Sep 24, 2014.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi

My in-laws are visiting us and will be here through Navarathri. There is some confusion between MIL and I on when exactly we need to keep the golu.

My MIL says since today is ammavasya, tonight is when we keep the kalasam and start calling people tomorrow onwards. Online, it says that Navarathri only starts on the 25th. Can anyone tell me exactly when to keep the kalasam?

Thanks.

2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

peartree,

Panchangam dates are calculated based on geographical coordinates, sunrise sunset etc of the local place. Usually there is a significant time difference between when the date arrives in India and in US, or even between east coast and texas. I usually go to the website of the nearest 'big or established' Indian temple. They publish a panchangam for the dates based on the local geographical coordinates not of Chennai or some other place in India. I just go according to that when I celebrate festivals.

Temple will also be a place to clear your MIL's doubt directly from the priest.

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

This is what the Livermore Shiva-Vishnu temple website says -

At Shiva-Vishnu Temple, we will be celebrating Devi Navarathri (Sharan navarathri) event from Wednesday September 24th - Friday October 3rd 2014.

So I guess MIL was right, tonight is when we keep the kalasam! Sigh... time to go Indian store shopping :)

Thanks Sandhya... the temple website is a good pointer!

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

There is this confusion again this year (was the case in 2012 when there were only 8 days + Vijayadashami instead of 9 + VD)

We have been following the Aurora Balaji temple calendar, and in that today is Amavasai and tomorrow Navarathri starts. In India, tomorrow is Amavasai and Thursday Navarathri starts. As 1Sandhya said, as we live in the US, we cannot follow the Indian panchangam due to the sunrise / sunset times as well as latitude and longitude.

Happy Navarathri to all!

5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

DKI, so yes. My FIL also did the ammavasya tharpanam today. So that means tonight is when we keep the kalasam, right? Or do we keep it tomorrow night, since nava"rathri" technically starts tomorrow? :idontgetit:

6. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Kalasam has to be kept today , and the dolls can be arranged in the evening . Koalas am is kept on Amavasya day and the following day the Navarathri begins.

7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Yes, this year there was this confusion even in India, as amavasya thithi itself was from 23 rd morning upto 24th afternoon. Anyway, the correct procedure is to keep the kalasam on the amavasya night, and next day is the prathamai thithi, when navrathri puja begins.