Telugu Cuisine

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by kcb, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

here comes my gongura-royyalu (sorrel leaves-prawns)

1/2 kg prawns,
    2-3 bunches of gongura..
    2 big onions
    5-6 green chillies,
    red chilli pwdr,
    ginger-garlic paste
    salt,
    turmeric
    tamarind a small ball
    tempering ingredients:
    senagapappu,minapappu, red chillies, lot of garlic(crushed),kadipatha, jeera, mustard..

first clean the prawns, add ginger garlic, salt, red chilli pwdr n turmeric..marinate it for 15-20 min while u get other stuff ready..
    then in a pan, take cleaned sorrel leaves,3 green chillies slit, one onion coarsely cut, little turmeric n salt..put on stove till the water evaporates and it becomes a paste..towards the end when water evaporates, you can add tamarind so that it becomes soft by the time it is done..take this aside and if u have mortar and pestle just put the mixture and do dink chak dink chak(vahchef style)..
    meanwhile on another stove, take oil in a pan, add green chilles left, 1 remaining onion finely chopped and when they turn brown add marinated shrimps and make curry..add seasoning if required. and cook till oil comes out.
    now in a pan, take oil for tempering( a bit more than usual) then add lots of crushed garlic and usual tempering ingredients and then put in the sorrel leaves paste..cook for 5 mins..then add the shrimps curry..mix and add a small cup of water..let this be on stove for 15-20 mins on simmer..
    tastes great with rice..
    this recipe never fails me and is a favourite in my family..

4 people like this.
  2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

Challa atlu (when u have no batters at home)

2 cups rice flour,
    1 cup curd,
    1 big onion (finely chopped)
    3 green chillies(finely chopped)
    salt as per taste
    coriander(optional)
    jeera(option)
    Mix all the above ingredients into a batter,like dosa batter, if required can add water..take a mookudu(dosa pan doesnt work that great)or a small pan and add a teaspoon if oil..when it becomes hot just pour the batter with a laddle..it spreads by itself if using a small flat pan..when it is golden brown flip to the other side and take it off when cooked..works great as evening snack with or w/o chutney

3 people like this.
  3. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

On Hrastro's wish here goes the Raw Mango Dal :))

Raw Mango Dal / Pachchi Maamidikaya Pappu:

Ingredients :

1. Toor Dal / Kandi Pappu - 1 cup
    2. Raw Mango - 1 medium (you can alter the size according to your taste)
    3. Onion - 1 medium
    4. Green Chillies - 4 -5
    5. Salt, Turmeric, Red Chilli Powder
    6. Curry Leaves
    7. Garlic Pods - 2
    8. Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva
    9. Oil - 1tbsp
    10. Seasoning Items (chana dal, minappappu, jeera and mustard seeds, red chillies)

Preparation:

1. Clean and wash the toor dal, peel and cut the raw mango into small pieces, slice the onion and cut the green chillies.
    2. Transfer all these items (step1) into a pressure cooker add 2 cups of water, turmeric and red chilli powder and cook upto 3-4 whistles.
    3. Mash the dal by adding salt
    4. Now tamper / season the dal with 1 tbsp oil, once the oil is hot, add all seasoning ingredients (chana dal, minappappu, jeera, mustard and red chillies), chopped garlic pods, curry leaves and Hing powder and mix this seasoning with Dal.
    5. Now everyone knows what to do :)) Eat yummy hot Raw Mango Dal with hot rice with a spoonful of ghee :))

4. padmaja909

padmaja909 Platinum IL'ite

i also cook in same way. except we dont add oinions in it. and in tamper i dont add chana dal and urad dal. rest all is same.
    and best combo with this pappu is gummadi vadiyalu.yumsmiley

2 people like this.
  5. Venala

Venala Silver IL'ite

Hey ladies:hiya
    Ekada meku avarikina gumadikaya (sweat type)curry recipe telusa?
    please share the recipe I love it a lot yumsmiley

6. Radical

Radical Silver IL'ite

Can any one share pachi majjiga recipie please. Its my fav :)

7. Sai3A21

Sai3A21 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks kcb for the Ulavacharu recipe :thumbsup its so detailed. Its a traditional Andhra recipe and good for health too. There is a restaurant in Hyderabad with this name - Ulavacharu. All traditional Andhra cuisine is served here. do visit if u get a chance

3 people like this.
  8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx kcb !!! Awesome recipe !!!

This mango dal can also be eaten with ragi sankati :)

In my case, we dont use onions and garlic for the dal at all! I cook the dal separately!!

I put the tadka of jeera, mustard, curry leaves, green chilies and hing and then add the mango pieces to the tadka and let it soften - And then add the cooked dal, turmeric and salt at the end!

Many times depending on the mango's sourness, my dal wont cook if I keep with the mango!!

2 people like this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Take two cups of majjiga ( a little sour). Add salt, a pinch of turmeric powder. Then thalimpu with Aavalu(mustard seeds), let them crackle before putting other things. Then a one fourth spoon of jeera, a pinch of Vamu (ajwain), a pich of hinge and curry leaves (a few). I add a pinch of methi powder( not much,if you put much a bitter taste would develop). Add this popu or thalimpu to the prepared majjiga. We call it menthi majjiga also.

6 people like this.
  10. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Sai3A21 for the feedback and the info about the restaurant. I heard Ulavacharu is good for people suffering with kidney stones.

I am going to visit India soon, definitely this time I am going to visit that restaurant in Hyderabad.

Cheers.

1 person likes this.