How safe and secure is IL to share personal problems?

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by kvinde, Sep 17, 2014.

1. kvinde

kvinde Senior IL'ite

My question is bit out of the context to post it under this forum. But don't know where else to post it.

I have recently joined this website and find it a good place to hangout as I get to read posts varying from s** to spirituality. However, I have been wondering how safe is this website to divulge one's very personal problems? I have come across members who unveil their deep dark secretes or simply pour their heart down (I being one of them :) ). What is the guarantee that one's anonymity cannot be exposed? After all one cannot delete the post or close the account or edit the post after one hour of the posting.

I have gone through FAQ and other policies but I was unable to find answers to my questions. There is a possibility that my eyes might have skipped this question. So it'll be great to hear from the admin or senior members about the aforementioned question. Of course I do understand the moment one step in to virtual world of social networking you are kind of exposed. But still I have this silly question. Thank you in advance :)

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

It is totally anonymous as long as you wish to remain anonymous :)

If you don't reveal your name and other GPS data, you are absolutely safe.

There are occasional trolls whose threads aren't safe - but you have the choice to keep away from them. Enjoy your stay here...

2 people like this.
  3. kvinde

kvinde Senior IL'ite

Many thanks for the reply. How do you identify those trolls/spammers?

4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry - there are many troll hunters here, when you read their comments you will understand :)

2 people like this.
  5. kvinde

kvinde Senior IL'ite

That gives me some peace of mind and hopefully to those people who share their very private problems :))

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Trolls are spotted and reported by some long-term members here. Mods/Admins also strive to take prompt actions to remove the Trolls.

Basic Rules - Suspect a troll, simply report, don't engage, don't publicly call out giving them the unnecessary attention they come craving here.

Sharing personal problems seeking for advice from experienced is ok, provided it is done without revealing too much personal info about you and yours. Both in the public forums as well as in Private messages. Do not share any personal info for connecting outside of IL (no email, gtalk, skype, facebook or whatever).

7. iqra6500

iqra6500 New IL'ite

Is it the good place to share personal thoughts and problems?

8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

The risk is that someone close to you recognize your postings. By giving details like childrens age, home city, detailed descriptions of incidents you can be recognized. The risk is small and by not disclosing too much details you are safe.