is it a good idea to have a cook?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by pinksugar, Sep 10, 2014.

1. pinksugar

pinksugar Gold IL'ite

hi ladies

I want to ask your suggestions.I have to takecare of baby and housework all alone. I am finding it difficult and many things are going on pending.The pending tasks i can takecare of later also but the daily important tasks esp cooking is getting very stressful for me.
    While i cook my baby clings to me demands my attention or comes and sits in the kitchen floor picking something or the other from the floor and putting it in her mouth or picking up things from dustbin and what not. So constantly i have to keep an eye on her or hold her while cooking. Somehow i manage to cook in a hurry. later the kitchen looks full of mess which i have to clean up after my baby sleeps ard 12.i end up going to bed at 1.the full process is getting stressful.
    I am thinking if hiring a cook will be a good idea for me. but i am not sure so i need others opinons esp those who have a cook, do u find it easy or is it another tension to manage the cook? I need pros and cons of having a cook. Also a daily menu list to tell the cook will be helpful.
    Actually i love to cook for my family and try out different recipes but i need focussed time for it which i am not getting. I have maid to cut veggies but still the cooking process takes time and i am unable to do it peacefully.

2. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Dear Op
    If the amount of work is so overwhelming, I would suggest you please hire a cook, dont tire urself so much that you get a burnout, thats never good. Please hire a cook !!

3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Depends on whether the prospective cook will do work independently according to your cleanliness standards and your taste and doesnt create natak when maid/vessels are not avaialble - else it will be definitely more stressful.

Some questions - do you get several guests who might stay over for lunch/dinner? Do you have someone to get your groceries regularly?

If you dont find such a cook and if you have to cook only for you and DH, try some efficient ways to save time.

Get rotis from outside for yourself and DH - let him buy them on the way home everyday ! OR get your maid who cuts vegetables to also make the atta for you (maybe add making rotis to the maid herself)

Ensure that you complete the whole cooking for the day and put in different dabbas BEFORE the maid leaves - so all your vessels will get washed and you can ask her to clean up the kitchen too !!!

Usually, I get maid to cut bigger veggies the previous day and smaller ones like onion or ginger or potato or banana, fresh on the cooking day as soon as she comes in, so by the time she finishes the rest of the housework, my cooking will get done - 1/2 hour of multitasking - 2 sabjis, dal, 1 pulusu, rice and 1 tiffin - and I tell her to wash vessels and clean the kitchen and then do the mopping of kitchen!
    I would have completed the cooking and I put them in the dabbas and plates - breakfast for son and DH, lunch boxes for son and DH and breakfast and lunch for me AND sabji and pulusu for night dinner in a different box - so I switch on the stove again only for evening rice or roti.

That half hour will be hectic mutlitasking - if you can do that while your DH is home or baby is sleeping then you can finish, AND you get a whole day free from any more cooking.

Do try to get maid to do some tamarind paste for the week/month as per your usage.

On a weekend, when your DH or a guest is around - feed the baby, clean up and complete some tasks to make weekday cooking faster .

I remember with my 5 month baby, I was alone - my SIL had come for 2 days - I handed over my baby to her - call me if he cries or needs diaper change, otherwise dont disturb me - and I cleared up the kitchen and other rooms, made everything ready so that I can even mix milk/rice or change diaper with a single hand in the middle of the night

I had at least 2 SAFE places to leave the baby in case I needed to clean the baby or the place or get food etc - still my baby would get disturbed if he couldnt see me - so all my work will get done before my DH leaves for the day - baby and mom are ready and dressed up and cooking and cleaning done for the day :)

3 people like this.
  4. JigsSM

JigsSM Silver IL'ite

From my personal experience i would recommend that it is a good idea to hire a cook. It will really ease your job and you will be able tolook after your kid more properly.

The questions which you have in mind are common, but may be when she will come you need to brief about the food which she needs to make today. Also you will have to deal with her to wash & keep the kitchen clean before leaving. wash her utensils whatever she has used. For couple of days you will have to keep a watch on her like how she cooks & all. Also she might need you as to where the things are kept. Once she is used to all it will be good. Also you can tell her upfront that if you do not like her food you will remove her. you can try her for one week.

Before i finalized my present cook, i tried almost 3 - 4 cooks who were not very good. 2 were very hopeless as if they never cook at home and other 2 were ok but they didnt cook good roti's & didnt knew. Now the last one which i have is very good. she will also ensure to keep the monthly ration on the place and clean the kitchen doors, chimney once or twice a month. you can try it out dear. Do not stress much.

5. pinksugar

pinksugar Gold IL'ite

thanks Weasly,hrastro,JigsSm for your replies

hrastro
    its really amazing that u finish cooking for the day in half an hr. thts great multitasking.u must be really fast.
    can u share the details.. do u use all burners together and multitask? u put all things in cooker first? how do u do it? If i also learn this it will be really good. if everything gets done before dh leaves that would be really grt.

Jigssm
    thanks for sharing your experience. good to know that u got a good cook now. can u share how much u pay her and what all u ask her to make? also do u take out things from fridge etc or she takes herself what all she needs? I enquired a lady who cooks she was asking 5000rs for one time meals. i thought this was too much. want to know whats the general pay rate.

1 person likes this.
  6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I think you need to buy a playpen and put your little one in it while you are cooking. I personally want to cook most of my own food and I don't want anyone in my kitchen messing with my stuff. For me cooking is relaxing. Your problem is having a little one going underfoot which is dangerous for both of you. Playpen.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

PS:Question: Does your husband help you? What is his work time and what your babies nap timing?

In any case I would give my 2 cents. I am working mom so I wake up at 4.30. My cooking which normally includes a gravy, dry curry , roti some days, Break fast and pack a separate lunch for DD to school and keep things ready for DS at home. I typically start cooking by 5.20 AM and I am done by 6.05 and will be packing boxes. I try to cut most of the difficult veggies during weekends that saves time. Dough for Roti will be prepared the night before. I never prepare and freeze anything. I cook fresh every day and that will come for lunch and dinner. Evening I don't cook but just eat and make sure kids are fed and spend time with them.

Remember in US we cant afford maid to clean dirty vessels and thanks to my DH he graciously volunteered for it. I just gave an example of how things work for me. Yes I do multi task. During morning all my 5 burners will be running. I am not sure how I do it but yes I do.

Yes if you can afford a cook go for it. But if you're picky like me then you will tend to micro manage her, that may not go well. Also its difficult to go and see what all she uses like how much oil, spice etc... You can give cook and try for a week and see how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

9. pinksugar

pinksugar Gold IL'ite

tashidelek
    thanks for your reply.how long is playpen used? i think my lo is old for paypen she is 1 year old. we have a cot for her where we used to put her there with toys. now she starts screaming if we put her there.she wants to move ard here n there.

chitravivek
    thanks for your reply.
    my hubby cant help. after coming home frm office he has offical calls to attend and his work goes on.baby's nap time is not fixed.varies. nowadays she naps very less. when she naps i too feel like resting with her. if i start cooking at that time mostly she will get up hearing cooking noises. u too are a super women. u finish all cooking is such a short time.i wish i could learn this.

hastro
    thanks so much for taking time to write and sharing this link. i really appreciate it. thanks a lot.

10. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Yes, if you can afford a cook just get it. But make sure she is good at cooking and
    not doing any natak. Word of mouth is the best way to find a good cook.

1 person likes this.