1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Abnormal MIL Behaviour

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by persecutedDIL, Aug 15, 2014.

1. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

Even I think so, she wanted to show how close she is to her son. I think it's such a cheap tactic to prove one's point! Very very cheap!

1 person likes this.
  2. tweetyfan

tweetyfan Silver IL'ite

I think it's not ok.may be when he was single thy r used to such things?.but if you ask me I would say most "MEN" shy out after certain age to stand with only undies in front of parents.it is weird . you should ask your hubby may be he used to change with mom's presence. He may not know then this is not ok since parents wouldn't have advised him.giving wicked smile is cheap at that moment at that time. Girl you have a lot of work do.

3. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

Dear PDIL,

It's funny that my h came in undies infront of his mom infact to the kitchen, i did ask him 'don't you feel shy?'. He said, ' no, i don't and i have seen my uncles do this too' (with his Grandma). I just left it there, because, i dont care if he walks in undies around the house neither i think too much after having my daughter. So, having MIL didnt seem to be causing any harm.

I just wouldn't read between lines in a situation like this. Your MIL may not be trying to prove a point, it's just them. You cannot control or should control what happens between your husband and his mom.
    I wouldnt walk half naked in front of my dad or my MIL or anybody except my mom, husband and daughter.

Take a chill pill...

4. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

OP- yes it is very weird for a mother not to respect boundaries of her adult son. It is not just weird but also shameful.

What is shocking is that many people find this normal. So I ask- would those that find it normal walk around in your underwear in front of your father?

5. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

I am not sure anyone should be walking around in undies in front of ANYONE other than their spouse. Even with kids, after they are more than 2-3 yrs old - we should start teaching them about privacy and boundaries. I find it weird that your husband does not find it weird.

6. tweetyfan

tweetyfan Silver IL'ite

Even I find it odd.exactly my thoughts.i don't think i will be ok with it.we should teach kids about privacy and stuff.even if it is a boy child.a brother ccan't walk in undies especially if there is a sister at home .We teach girl children about clothing appropriate and privacy but not boys.
    Awkward.

7. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

I guess, you have to think of it from the perspective of individual or the prevailing practice. I used to visit my GPs village and the people of the village take bath in the nearby river, women will wear their petticoat around them as a swimsuit and men will be in underwear.

I have also observed during my travel around India in some states it's just blouse and skirt without dupatta. A person from a particular region may find it weird but it's not weird for them.

I don't want to confuse perversion with what one feels weird.

To OP's point, I just want to put her mind to rest that the MIL may not have the intention of implying anything to her by just being in that room. I don't want her to confuse a situation like this to a power struggle.

8. persecutedDIL

Thanks tweetyfan, sdiva, and gauridinesh for sharing your inputs. Sorry JLY, rickey and beanstalk, no brownie points for you for dismissing inappropriate behaviour as weirdness :p
    Sdiva, the women who support nudity in front of mother will never answer this question!
    You've nailed it!
    Absolutely, that is what worries me more. She expects me to wear only Salwar suit with dupatta, expects me to touch the feet of all elders both while meeting and departing, and on top of that asked me to touch my BIL's feet from a distance without actually physically touching and many more such weird stuff.So, is too much of a hypocrisy!
    An ultra conservative woman like her, being so free with her son ? My H is not a nudist and so is none in their family. Then why practice nudity in front of me and mother being in the same room?
    Good for your village, but is it still the case in today's time ? In my GPs village, women and men had different ponds for men and women. Also, different time to take bath in - early dawn for women.
    It indeed is. The MIL wanted to show me how close she was to her son and more importantly, how close her son was to her!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wrong on many many levels. It's awkward. I wouldn't fault the Mom alone here. If the Mom walks in on the son, the son should ask the Mom to LEAVE and give him some privacy. If he says that enough number of times, it should drive home the point. Are there no locks on the doors? Get him to use it and keep his mom out at inappropriate times. If she still thinks her son is a baby, the son has to keep her out and be the adult instead of putting up with it.

I think the problem in your case is two fold. The Son probably wants to be Molly coddled as much as the Mom wants to do it. Is this how it is or am I completely wrong?

10. persecutedDIL

Correct, even i think so.
    Completely right. More or less, this is the case.Son never given privacy lessons and both Mom and Dad want to mollycoddle the son so much that he treats his wife like someone with whom he doesn't have a "private sacrosanct relationship".