how much time do you take to make chapatis ?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by anitalovesyou, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 2babymom

2babymom Bronze IL'ite

same here.. rice takes a lot less hands on time may be 5 mins but I always make rice in pot not in a rice cooker or pressure cooker.
    For chapathi, it will take about 20 mins hands on time for 10 chapathis as i kneed dough in stand mixer

2. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

I like making Chapatis, I would take around 20-30 mins for 10 chapatis. I don't rest the dough, I put the tawa on flame and start rolling and heating the other over fire and finish them asap.

3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

15-20 mins. But I am gujju. Our rotlis (chappati) are smaller and thinner. Between the two of us we consume only 5-6 rotlis.

Rice i make in the rice cooker most of the time. I put the rice and work on the rotlis. Typically, i will make the enough dough that will last a day or two.

4. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

It will take 30 mins for me to take 10 roties and another 30 mins for the cleaning from the mess I make from that

6 people like this.
  5. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Can someone please tell me on how to make soft chapathi which don't harden after 10 minutes?

I tried the following:

1. adding oil to the dough
    2. adding warm water while kneading
    3. adding egg whites while kneading

I also tried sprinkling water while kneading but it takes for ever and the dough is too dry. end up making it soft with more water. but rolling is a night-mare. end up putting too much dry aata while rolling.....errrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! :bang

But i love chapathis.....!!!!! :hide:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I take about 1 minute per chapati and no more. Actually I buy frozen chapati's, so it doesnt take long to heat them up. I have 3 flat-pans and I use all 3 to make chapati's. So, in about a minute, I make 3 chapati's.

7. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

:rotflamen to that!!!

2 people like this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I sometimes make the dough with left over dal instead of water.Just take some left over dal...add atta and mix.Keep adding till you feel it is enough to make nice soft dough. Make balls and roll.Make rotis. These are really soft rotis.

1 person likes this.
  9. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

I am pretty quick with chapatis... that's because I have been making it everyday for last 3 years... I roll one, put on tava and 2 are waiting in queue...kneading hardly takes 5 minutes...so maybe 15 minutes in total..for 10 chapatis..

I have grown up eating it every day..every meal..and it is something I can't do without !

10. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

I neither use oil nor warm water...

it comes with practice...I use only atta and regular water to knead and chapatis are always soft...you need to add just the right amount of water...the dough shouldn't be dry...also do not use too much dry flour while rolling the roti..I mean use when you need to but not in excess amount...

some say add warm milk to make soft chapatis..never tried...you can give it a shot!

3 people like this.