Not fulfilling a "Mannat"/ "Promise"

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Rakhii, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I understand what you are saying Nuss. I dont think She will be mad at me but maybe I am not making enough effort in going there. The problem is, all this mannat thing happened before marriage. And this temple is really in a remote village. We have to fly to Mangalore, go to Udipi and then from there to that village. It takes at least 2 days even if you take a flight to Mangalore. And usually (as you know), India trips are really packed. I could not put pressure on my DH to push him into going. I hope you know what I mean.

Its a good idea about donating money. I have a favorite hospital here in Toronto itself. Its Sick Kids Hospital. I will donate money there in Her name.

At least next time I will have to find a way to go to the temple. People like me are not supposed to make promises. But at that time I thought I could visit that temple again easily not knowing I maybe relocating to another country.

On one hand I feel God (i am also not overly religious) would not be angry with me. On another hand, I feel She is angry at me and thats why I am not getting pregnant even after trying for so long (though I know its unreasonable). Bah! Educated woman talking about God taking revenge :(

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Rakhi love god is not into punishing you for not completing a mannat that was done innocently. If that was the case you just have to see you have a lovely daughter. Remember sometimes things have a way of happening. You Cannot time conception and pregnancies even if we think we can do. Nature has a way.

i agree with Nuss on nar seva Narayan seva and i practice it so much that my fil had to accept with reservations but with time does the same.

i suggested this precisely for the reason you have quoted wrath of goddess. We usually do this only for our kuladevta and ishtadevta whom we usually visit regularly and sometimes due to unavoidable circumstances like mourning or travel if we cannot then we do this. We do this when we start something auspicious like buying a property,marriage in the sense we want to take their blessings but tied up right now.

that said my husband and me believe be it god or human never make promises you are never sure of fulfilling just because you feel like it and never ask for wishes or blessings like give me this, do this, Who knows what is to be given to you is actually more, than what you ask for. God knows what and when.

just relax and if you can make it do visit the temple for your peace of mind

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. jingi92

jingi92 Gold IL'ite

this is a wonderful thread ... i agree with most of the opinions here ... first ... mannat .. we all do it on the spur of the moment and do not have time (??) to fulfill it later ... (!!!) ... but rest assured god knows when to get us to fulfill it :) .. in the meantime do not forget the mannat .. and like the suggestions here keep doing some charity work ... that sort of helps keep us cool ... and fulfill the promise when it is psbl .. god will not curse us or do us bad .. she is our mother supreme .. and knows only to love us and not hate .. god bless us all :)

1 person likes this.
  4. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Education has nothing to do with religiosity. A third party may call your faith as 'superstitious' one ! Just ignore if some one labels it so. To you it is a faith.

In future, any failure in life, you encounter, your mind will attribute it to your failure to abide by the 'mannat' !

Mind you, life is full of 'unpredictable' and 'inexplicable' failures. Not only in this context (not being able to get pregnant), but, in so many other future instances, you may not see success, even after you do your best. Be it in Karnataka or Canada, you can not change this. This is the time, human mind becomes very weak. Every time, you will attribute it to your failure to fulfil the mannat

The best and only solution is, in your next visit to India, take your husband, visit the temple and fulfil the 'mannat' !

Or else, the fight in your mind (between the faith and logic) will be an endless , life time torture !

Modern Psychiatry acknowledges faith and religiousness and 'Positive Defence Mechanisms' !

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    3 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

my woes with my autocorrection on my gadgets should be an interesting read.

that was nuss that has been corrected to buss..nuss dear sorry.

2 people like this.
  6. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister Shanvy,

Sairam, Both errors rectified, Thanks for mentioning the same to do the needful

1 person likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

recuperating from a tailbone dislocation . so using my mobile and ipad. and edit window time does not allow you to correct them even if you realise .

thanks sakthi.

8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Actually I will advise you from opposite direction. See, I think you are worried the Goddess will get mad etc, which like others said, is not true. But it is like a little worm of worry inside you in spite of all the reassurances is it not? I would say try to make the time to go in this trip itself. first of all, you will really be at peace mentally, once and for all, as it is, now you are relating some other issues to this non attendance and increasing your guilt. So that will stop, and that will be a huge relief for you. That only is worth it, imo. Secondly in all the days of the India trip of running from 1 relative house to another etc it is over hyped, and mainly an ego issue (of how many days you are staying with whom), all the relative are done with us as soon as they see us and pass the comments and see what you got for them which is within the first 2 hours of meeting max :) Excluding your parents and his for whom no number of days is enough but who would of course always understand that this is an important thing for you. I would suggest just plan the tkts in advance and make the time, just 1-2 days to go to that place. Since it is remote place it will be new experience, just you and h and kid, like you are on vacation, but in India, but far away from all the relatives. Best of all worlds! It will be peaceful and memorable. I was in similar situation and I worried so much about how to manage it with my folks and his and kept on postponing and finally just put my foot down and insisted we have to go now! It was worth it! Even now as a family we remember the small small things of that trip.

2 people like this.
  9. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

During a particularly bad phase of my life I visited lots of temples made lots of mannats so many temples in fact that I do not remember them all. Also I moved to a place far away and its not possible to go and visit each and every temple. So I visited all the temples possible and to the rest I prayed in my mind and thanked for being there with me in trying times. God is our parent and loves us no matter what, if we visit the temple or pray with our hearts, God is everywhere not only in the temple.

3 people like this.
  10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Shanvy, I am usually not a person who makes promises. If I do make a promise, I fulfill it. Even if it’s a small thing like saying to my daughter, “I will get you ice cream after dinner”. Even if she forgets, I still give her the ice cream.
    When the wedding match was broken (by me) days before the wedding date, I was really heart broken. My parents were really angry with me for breaking off that match. They were (at that time, not now) of the opinion that if a match breaks before days of the date, I will never get married and things like that. But my heart said I should not marry a person who lied about job/house/education.
    So, in order to cheer me up, my friends decided we will go visit a resort. Close to that place was this village and when my friend took me there, I made this promise in a spur of the moment. That day (and since that day) I always had the noble intention of fulfilling the promise. It’s just such a shame that I am not able to fulfill it.

You are right, if She was angry, I wouldn’t have had my first child.