1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Qualification of Lecturer in U.S.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by padmashini, Aug 7, 2007.

1. padmashini

padmashini New IL'ite

Hi everbody,

I am Padmashini living in owings mills,Maryland near Washington DC. Just got married this year april month and came here just three months back. I am basically a M.TECH(IT) graduate and was working there in chennai(India) as Lecturer and got the desire of being a lecturer here too. But I don't know what is the procedure for applying and should we take up any test like GRE? If anubody knows the procedure can you reply me....

Take Care...
    Yours Truly,
    Padma
    :2thumbsup:

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Welcome to US.
    Above all GRE test , you should have work permit.

~Punitha

3. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

I don't think you need a GRE. But, I think you should have a PH.D to teach in a state college or in any universities. Yes, you also should have a work permit (in this case HIB), which the college will help you to get one. There is a possiblility if one has a U.S. degree (Masters).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  4. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Dear Padma,

One good place to look for is the education review or some other academic magazines. You can visit some of the local universities which are George Washington University (my alma mater), American University, University of Maryland either in person or their websites and see what opportunities exist in your perticular area of interest. If your status here requires a work permit, then you might want to explore registering as a doctoral candidate and after some time an associate professor / research scholar position might be negotiable

bonne chance.....

1 person likes this.
  5. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

a GRE score is asked / required from applicants who are applying for masters program. It helps the admissions staff to determine what the candidates strengths are from their undergraduate studies. It is not required from job seekers.

1 person likes this.
  6. ayushi1

ayushi1 New IL'ite

Hi padmashini

i did master in IT and worked as assistant professor in india for 5 years.
    after marriage i came here.
    i am looking for job as lecturer in USA.i am on h4 visa.
    can you get job as lecturer?
    help me.

thanks
    Ayushi

[​IMG]

7. Samiksha1988

Samiksha1988 New IL'ite

Hi

I am a Ph.D. Student at University of Florida (biology field).
    After I graduate I want to be a Teaching track professor too.
    There are many community colleges which require only a masters. however all Universities usually hire phd graduates.
    GRE is not mandatory but they might require Tofel scores as being Indians our native language is not English even though most of us are fluent in it.
    It will be best if you approach the community colleges, network there and work your way up!

Good Luck...

PS: And please share if you find any other pertinent information with all of us who want to go ahead in their careers as Lecturers!!

1 person likes this.
  8. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Goto
    higheredjobs.com

For professor and some tenure track positions, you may require Phd. Most of the community colleges require Masters level education for instructors positions. To start working for non-profit organizations, you do not need to wait for H1B lottery that starts around April every year. I work in higher education field and my employers (an university) were happy to sponsor my H1B while I was on H4.

It will be a good idea to get some professional certifications (MCSTS, MCSA etc.) while you are job hunting as it will improve your chances of getting job. Also, it will be better to have some references from US and you can do volunteer work at public library or any other organizations near you.

1 person likes this.