1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My mum's style of parenting

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 4, 2014.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I belong to the Millennials generation and Iam always fascinated by Lord Rama. 'Rakshathu Rama Lakshmanav' is what I pray everyday whenever I feel a little insecure.

No man is faultless, no God is faultless too. But, Lord Rama comes closer to being a perfect man/God. Rama must have suffered as much as Sita did or even more, sadly, nobody wrote about it and it caught nobody's attention. He was driven by destiny to punish his wife and sons, and in turn himself. For some reason, I think, while Mata Sita had to undergo Agni Pariksha once, the Lord himself had to undergo mental agony stronger than Agni Pariksha, not once or twice but everyday, till the end for what he had done to Sita. He was an 'Adarsh Purush' till the end, an 'Ega pathini virathan' till the end and only punished himself severely. Sadly, the epic that was meant to teach people about the virtues of a good man and woman, righteousness and duty of a king towards his people and several other morals, is often quoted for wrong reasons. It has become common for people to quote Rama as a person who suspected, taunted and neglected his spouse. But, what kind of person in his right mind, would ask his wife to get into the fire in front of his entire kingdom, if he had even one percent of suspicion that she might not be pure and that the fire might consume her. His love and trust was so strong that he was confident that the fire would not even touch her and her love and trust was so strong that she agreed to do it, to help him lead his kingdom righteously, to make people hold on to the good morals and values.

I wish people stop quoting Lord Rama and Mata Sita, for the wrong reasons.

Thanks for sharing your mom's style of parenting, she seems to be a very sensitive, sensible, warm and genuine person :2thumbsup:

8 people like this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Let me start off at a tangent with my response and hopefully will find my way back to what you are trying to say. Not sure why, but when my dad told us stories from Ramayana, I always got the impression that if anything he felt empathy for Rama also, as much as he felt about the suffering Sita had to undergo. From my dad's point of view, it must have been as hard for Rama if not more to part with the woman he loved for the sake of something said by someone that was not even remotely related to him, in the name of His Dharma. Perhaps, he was looking at Rama as a man, married vs Rama, the King. My dad always spun stories with agony from Rama's point of view as much as he described Sita’s suffering.

Now, I am back to what you are saying. I don't have to tell you that indeed you have been so lucky to receive such affection from your mother. As I look back at my own parents and my childhood and as I look at my kids and myself as a parent, I can clearly see what I want to pass on, yes, ample love and fond memories just like the way my parents have showered me with. My mom was a stickler to perfection and my dad well, anything was alright as long as we were all smiling and happy. Now as much as my kids moan and groan when I do things like Sunday is a oil bath day, Saturday is a dosa breakfast day (yes, I can afford to do that only on weekends here!, Don't roll your eyes :)), I know in my heart that they will look back and smile.

You have had the fortune of having your mom by your side for so long sir and now thank you for sharing her parenting tips for younger mothers like myself can benefit and add some to our lives.

5 people like this.
  3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniyasir,

Lucky is the mother whose son remembers her even after all these years with such affection. See, even that is a blessing and does not happen to everyone. Wonder how many grown up men think of their mother with so much affection?

Come to think of it...Perhaps They All Do!! Is that not why our Relationship forum is thriving? :rotflOkay, let me not deviate from the love filled thread..Love for mother and Love for Lord Rama!!

I do not have to look too far into your childhood to know that you were nurtured by a very caring and intelligent mother. I have to only look at The Gentleman that you are today! We have the proof right here!!

It is touching to read our young members write how they wanted to marry someone like Rama and Ishwara/Shiva! Blame it on my Irish school that I always dreamed of Darcy or worse still, a Rhett Butler to carry me off my feet!!!!

I am sure my elders, bless them, are now saying "Hey Ram, rakshasu, rakshasu" !!

L, Kamla

9 people like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends, if this post hurt any of your sentiments, i would like to say my son is 16 and in through a phase. he reads and enjoys cheeniya sir's rambling.so i do write what he says. nothing more.

coming to rama, krishna, i think i should be embarassed/proud to say that DS is more knowledgeable on the subject than all of us at home. you can ask him on any incident or story or character in these or even bible or quran.infact people ask him if they have doubts. he has commendable knowledge on these.

This morning he was reading this
    Inferno (Dante) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and when i asked him why, he says i want to know what was in it that the church was scared about the book and i also want to know if this is similar to what is mentioned in our scriptures..

the only advantage to me is i learn a lot in the process. i am sure sri would definitely bring a different angle to the discussion. waiting for it..

3 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

saby, so true, that sri's sharing his mom's style was like a cool breeze coming your way in the scorching heat. you learn a lot even as you read it right. not only sri, but indra aunty has been so besotted. a wonderful parent and a wonderful mom and above all a wonderful soul is all i can say. makes me believe love is everywhere, you only need to realise it is there instead of searching for it.

and enjoy the moaning and the growing saby. these are memories they cherish. mine still fondly bemuse on thursday lectures when they were young..it used to thurs/friday weekend where we lived then. and oiling and lectures were hand in hand. they fondly talk about the discussions, the cooking together, the fun and everything.

You made me laugh out loud kamla. DD has wall papers of Robert Patterson, Jensen Ackles,Ansel Elgort. Channing tatum and Zac Afron. though i wonder i know this girl is grounded as she says "Princes are for fairy tales" "there are kings only because there are princesses like me.."

3 people like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Shanthi, I don't think anyone mistook you or your DS :) I know he is an awesome kid and you have done a wonderful job of raising him. Since we are all not born kings to uphold some dharma, we should do our best to uphold the dharma of being human and looks like your son has recognized it pretty soon!

Being open and learning with our kids is the best of part of parenting!

1 person likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Parenting was and is never easy, but we put our whole heart into it while parenting. We whole heartedly want good results of it. Even if the kids would not acknowledge it's fine if they shape as good human beings with values like Rama ( I do not want to go into controversies about Rama as I have lot of Bhakti for Rama). That's enough. In your case your mother did a wonderful job as a mother and we can learn from her. And it is even more wonderful that son is appreciating his mother's upbringing even after so many years. I am doubtful if my own children would do that. Now a days young parents read books and bring up children (though nothing wrong with it).
    Yea, my mother used to say "Sriramaraksha, noorell ayushushu (100 years of life)" after bath to my children. I don't remember her doing it to me or to my siblings....must have done.
    Husband like Rama is ideal.Your mother wanted you to be like that with your wife. When we are hearing daily stories of MIL torturing DIL your mother wanted you to be like Rama to your wife. He is an ideal husband, son, brother and every relationship. Sitaramaklayanam is done every year for Sriramamnavami.

Fathers toil very much for the family and their love is not very expressive at times like mother, though they do love children equally.

A good one, relevant to every parent and every couple.

Syamala

2 people like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Shanvy
    Every time you tell me that your son never misses reading my Ramblings, I feel honoured really. He may be a young man of 16 but his maturity from what I hear of his reactions to my Rambling is amazing. He seems to be putting his access to internet to excellent use and when you tell me that he tries to glean information on Dante's Inferno from the perspective of orthodox church's fear of him, I am very impressed. He asks the right questions on Rama and I am sure that the answers will make the Avatar more appealing to him as he grows older.

Beyond saying this, I'll put my thoughts on Rama on the hold. I wrote about my mum's view of Rama as a role model from one single perspective, that he was an 'Eka patni vrathan'. Many ladies revere him till this day for this. Further the times in which my mum lived did not offer much scope for the women to analyse the Avatars in such great details as today. Despite the fact that he underwent such harrowing circumstances all his life, people still look at his horoscope as an auspicious way to start their day! It was not as if Valmiki kept the issue of Rama's treatment of Sita post war in dark. On the contrary, we would not have known anything of it, if Valmiki had not been so candid about it. Saint Thyagaraja knew about it. So did Tulsidas and Ramadasa.

When I said that my brother and I loved my mum too much to defy her even in thoughts, I probably did not make myself clear. It was not as if my mum did not encourage us in questioning her views. I have often seen her in lively discussions with my brother on a matter on which my brother disagreed with my mother. In the end one of them would be convinced by the other but despite that if my mum wanted us to heed to her advice for our good, we obeyed. Because we knew that she might have a good reason for insisting on it. That was not merely because of our love for her but also because of our strong faith in her judgement.
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear yellowmango
    This ritualistic sprinkling of water at every bath was one of the many acts of my mum that I fondly remember and miss very much. Even when I was in my mid 60's, she insisted on applying oil on my head with her frail hands on the Diwali morning and say how hot my head became on applying oil and how I had been neglecting my health! These were the many little acts of hers that I find very difficult to divest from my mind. Sometimes even my grandchildren chide me saying 'Grow up Thatha!'

I am happy that your prayers did get you a good husband. I am sure that your daughters too will get nice husbands when it is time for them to get married. It is immaterial if it is going to be Shiva or Rama as long as the prospective husbands make your daughters extremely happy and lead a full life.
    Sri

5 people like this.
  10. Cheeniya

My dear Bhavna
    I am touched by your warm expressions about my mother. I am extremely fortunate to have had an extremely fair-minded woman as my mother. More importantly her monumental patience even under very trying circumstances and her ability to take all the vicissitudes of life in her strides have indeed moulded our characters well. May be such patience is not a winning streak any more nor is it considered a manly attribute in modern times. Sometimes even my daughters tell me in an irritated voice that I should speak up as otherwise I may be treated as a doormat! But having come this far in my life with my mum's qualities, I see no need to change even if the circumstances warrant it. To be honest, I find it hard to change!
    Sri

1 person likes this.