1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Must have Upgrades in new home

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by sanravi_1970, Jul 28, 2014.

1. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP,Ask builder for specific brand appliances. Like we asked for Whirlpool stainless steel.You can do with brand you prefer. yes, You can put appliances on layaway when on sale.Get a shop your way rewards card from Sears. When they put friends and family sale look around and put on layaway. I did same and paid almost 300-400$ less than sale price. I bought our refrigerator from searsoutlet . We paid maybe almost 1000$ less becoz it had a small dent on it. That makes it little cheaper. I cant even see the dent. Keep looking around and buy. Good Luck.

2 people like this.
  2. Dreamer

Dreamer Silver IL'ite

Make sure you have pest cleaning done before you move in. Free then for a year.

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Srama, but they are giving microwave, dishwasher and gas range as their standard feature. Can I take it if is a good brand?

4. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

They are doing it for free for upto 1 year dreamer :)

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Thanks chocolate, will definitely look for it :)

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You have to be very careful to find out what are the features of what they will supply as all brands have simple and also high end models. Just knowing the brand is not enough. Also be sure they don't do a switch of models at the last minute.

When working with contractors here you need to know how their system works. If they supply anything they are getting that item at a discount and they make money on the difference of the discounted price and what they charge you in addition to the charges for building your place.

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I don' t know how far done your house is, but one thing that is great to have is whole house vacuum system. It is not that hard to do in building stage. I have it one all four levels of my house and it was put in for someone who had asthma and couldn't stand even vacuuming. There is a central large unit in usually the basement and piping through the walls. You plug a hose into outlets for this in the walls in central locations. There is also a baseboard kick plate you can get so when you sweep your kitchen floor it will suck the pile of dirt away.

1 person likes this.
  8. ssasi

ssasi Silver IL'ite

Hi, we are also building a home. Right, now it is 1 month for closing. I didn't like to open a separate thread for this & thought I could post it in the "new home upgrades", here. So it would be helpful to find everything about the new house, under this thread.

can anyone suggest a good appliances (refrigerators & washer,dryer) for a new home. If possible share the model No etc.

Thanks
    Ssasi

9. ssasi

ssasi Silver IL'ite

Hi, still no response abt the appliances. Is this thread active?

Which home security system is best with price & services?

Looking for help in making decision.

Thanks

10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi ssasi

thanks for asking your question in this thread, definitely it will be useful for first time homebuyers. Did you lender gave any ideas about it? I have no clues.Looking for helpful responses with you.

Friends

I have an island in my kitchen and I have double sink there. My question is we wash dishes and use dish drying rack to dry them. How to keep the dish drying rack in island. Will it not spoil the look?

How about getting double sink.. Two sinks of equal size or one bigger and another smaller (60:40)? Which is better for us?

also I need ideas to keep grinder in my kitchen. My grinder is heavy, so cannot think of using it as counter top. I was thinking that I can get a wooden piece, square shape that has wheels in the bottom, so that I can rest the grinder on it and can move wherever I want to while using. I am planning to store grinder in pantry and taking it out to my mud room which is next to pantry and that has an outlet too to use the grinder.

your ideas please friends

thanks
    san