1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Must have Upgrades in new home

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by sanravi_1970, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

San,

Where it snows, the mud room is a blessing! A couple of things you could do -

1. I don't know where your washer/dryer are - this could be a place for that. If they are upstairs, keep it there.

2. You could keep this for school stuff and mail. Many people have a nook in kitchen where they sort it out...you can make this your nook. Don't know how old your kids are but....the paper from school will be monumental!! If they are younger, use for toy/creative stuff storage.

3. Finally, I am with Laks, use just as an extension of pantry.

2 people like this.
  2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Chocolate

I cannot demand any corrections or upgrades as per my wish in this community,as this one is so hot and the builder is not negotiating for anything. I actually wanted my screened porch to convert into sunroom, but they said they cannot do that :)

I have laundry in second floor given default by builder, so they must have proper drain built, isn't it? But thanks , I will look for it.

And do I need a sink in laundry?

thanks so much for the helpful suggestions.

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Laks, Srama ..Nice ideas for mud room. A drawer chest sound good, because it will be closed. And the cabinet for hanging bags sounds good idea too.

I don't think I can extend the pantry, because the mud room is open to kitchen and dining and I don't want things to be visible to everyone.

I was thinking of putting grinder there in one corner of mud room because I have no clue where to put it. Also I am thinking of making a small square wooden slab with 4 wheels on bottom, to keep grinder on it, so that it can be movable ( similar to cylinder roller in India) but don't know how to make it :)

My mom told me to use that corner as pooja area, but I am not going for it. Kids might come inside with shoes sometimes or during periods I may feel uncomfortable to pass thro the mandapam to go to pantry. So that won't work.

My main idea of using mud room is to keep bags, school stuffs, coats etc. but I don't want them visible because when people enter my house and come in, immediately to the side of kitchen, my mud room will be there, so wanted to keep these stuffs covered.

Maybe I was thinking of putting beaded screen on the way between kitchen and mud room :)

thanks again for all your valuable inputs :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I agree, Puja room may not make sense for that room. That said, for this here -
    I would urge you to check out Ikea - they have many many storage ideas (including the one you want) both stand alone ones and wall mounted ones and less expensive too. Beaded curtains are a good choice and I have used sheers where I feel it is necessary. So don't rule it out. I have also used cafe rods to hand the sheers...earlier. Works well without nailing for lighter material and till you figure out if you like the look.

2 people like this.
  5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

thanks Srama .. Will look for it.

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, Drain for laundry is an option. Its never given by builder. It will be worth having one. Sink is something you can opt for although not necessary.

How did you negotiate with the builder.Directly or thru agent. If you did it directly, dont proceed in this manner. do it thru an agent. My friend bought a house directly thru builder and ended up paying 25k more than us and her house is having only hardwood floors in 1st floor as an upgrade whereas we bought the same plan with bigger lot on cul de sac and have plenty of upgrades and cheaper by 25 k becoz we had a fantastic agent.

If you are directly dealing with the builder stop and get an agent who has a good know how of your desired area and builder.Good Luck.

7. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

I agree with you chocolate. Yes, We do have an agent, and he only spoke to the builder for negotiation and all but as I said, this community is built in very hot and demanding area and they are not ready to negotiate. We tried asking in many different ways, but they are very strong about it :)

8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, Then I will say pay for the upgrades. These are well worth it. We paid maybe 15 k above the floor model to get what we want.Ultimately all these worked in favor becoz our house appraised for 30k more than what we paid. Thats only appraisal but comps in the area are atleast 100k more than our purchase price. The niceties do count.If the area is in demand do the upgrades upto how much you can afford.tiles instead of vinyl/linoleum and kitchen upgrades like stainless steel appliances and granite countertops are some basic upgrades. Also a big enuf kitchen is also something basic.Here galley style kitchen is famous but I feel that is like a queue and not much space. I opted for a kitchen which was big and had an island in b/n. Also in terms of appliances look in Sears. I did for my refrigerator and washer -dryer combo. Put in on layaway. When the builder took our offer we placed order for appliances we liked on layaway. We took delivery after we moved in and housewarming. Moving in can be expensive and this made our move little bit stress free. If you have cash to spend try in Searsoutlet. you get amazing deals there too. Good Luck.

9. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Thanks chocolate for your suggestions. Am getting enuf info before I go to the design center, because when I go there, it's totally confusing what to choose :)

thats a a nice idea to put on layaway. So we could buy stuffs when on sale/ discount and do that?

1 person likes this.
  10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Whatever brand of appliances, DO NOT get they through the builder. Builders buy builder grade stuff and it is the absolute bottom of the line. Get your own appliances including dishwasher and have them installed. Just a warning.

3 people like this.