1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do You?

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by rgsrinivasan, Jul 17, 2014.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Prerna, for another feedback from your desk. -rgs

1 person likes this.
  2. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

How well said, RGS!

1 person likes this.
  3. rgsrinivasan

Pleasure to have your like and feedback AbhiSing.
    Thanks. -rgs

1 person likes this.
  4. Kruthisree

Kruthisree Senior IL'ite

5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks a lot for your appreciation KruthiSree. Happy to receive a first from you. -rgs

6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,
    I happened to read your snippet only today. Very nice poem in lucid style with height of emotions buried deep underneath.
    Hope you had come out of the crisis and restored to normalcy. May God give you strength of mind.
    When I read of your poem I am reminded of another poem ( I don'remember the words) read while I Was in X class in 1956.
    The poem was titled ( Two jewels- Author unknown)
    The gist of the poem is as under.
    There was a great philosopher in England. His main job was to travel from town to town, village to village, do preachings, bring home some money at frequent intervels and his wife had to manage the family with limited funds.

Once the philosopher had a hectic programme. He could not return home and meet his wife and kids for months.
    This time he had a handsome balnace, returned home.
    The wife as usual welcome him, asked for the details of his tour, the nature of his lectures and the responses thereto.After listening to him patiently,
    the wife started in poetic language.
    " You see, My Dear. One day a great man with divine looks came home and handed over
    two jewels to me. He asked me to keep the jewels safe, polish them then and there and make them shine bright. He gave the jewels on one condition that I should hand over the jewels whenever he came and sought for them.
    I was fascinated by the jewels. They were so close to my heart. Whenever they became dull, I polished them. They shone very bright and their brilliance was unlimited.
    I felt that I could not part with the jewels any day.
    Suddenly the jewels became dim.I tried my level best to brighten them even with herbs available. But the jewels lost lustre.The next day, the gentleman who handed over the jewels to me made a sudden visit. He reminded me of my promise to return the jewels
    as and when he asked. I begged and begged. But he was adamant and took away the jewels from me. I felt for a day or two. Got reconciled that the jewels have reached the owner."

Here the wife stopped and peeped into the eyes of the philosopher.
    The great philosopher realised what happened. His twin boys had suffered from severe disease in his absence. The wife had tried to treat the children,but in vain.The children had reached Lord's feet.
    The philosopher was silent. The wife was equally silent. The man contemplated" who is
    a greater philosopher?"

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for an excellent feedback Madam. The story is too good. And I could at once recollect a couple of things reading this.

Knowledge can come from anyone and all we need to do is to observe.

And of course the Kousika story, where the sage who burned a crane to ashes, while in forest, was surprised to see that it was being told by a housewife who delayed serving his food. His anger abated, he bows and asks her how she knew, for which she asks him to go and seek the butcher.

Regards,
    -rgs