1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

//don't join them.// grrrrrr. Already with them when I felt like locking you inside.(they would agree with the same if you ask them how they felt, when they heard about the incident )

Regarding mixing keerais: My understanding is DON'T. According to texts, each of the consumable keerai has individual Suvai as well as Gunam. Our body has 3 doshas..Vadha, Pitha, Kabam and depending on the increased or decreased doshas, the individual is said to possess that type of body (as in vatha udal, pitha udal etc). The keerais with different gunams when mixed might increase any one of the Doshas in the body, resulting in some digestive disorders and other symptoms, if consumed for prolonged period. But 1 or 2 meals wont be a problem at all.

Another logical reasoning would be...the food poisoning, if any, will easily be root caused if we dont mix wild vegetables like keerais/mushrooms etc, since all the veggies we take have toxins in them and depending on the amount of it, it may cause inconvenience to the GI system.

I welcome more queries, if you feel that I am not clear on the above explanation.

And the bakes, yes I too bake the breads/buns using the Tang Zhong method and hand kneading only since that gives really elastic dough.

And I do bake using a toaster for more than 6 months now :D

Last night dinner: parattas from outside (lazy to cook)
    Morning Bf: Kudhiraivaali pongal + Kadhamba sambar, thengai chutney (ended up eating dosai since pongal was finished up by the men :) )

Lunch: same sambhar, rice, beetroot poriyal. I sucked on some frozen bovonto cubes now and had my sugar craving fixed ;)

Dinner would be Paniyaarams & thakkali chutney

3 people like this.
  2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Shan mam, First i was so shocked to see your news on Satchi's mother's sudden demise. Just in the morning i read the post in which stachi saying that she has tightly packed life with moms sick and going to see her and managing without cook etc...this is so sad, i knew that her mom was not well for the past few months...but this news is a real shock to me.

3. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Shans dear,

Thanks for posting the link. I do no go to other threads. Thanks again.

4. ChandrikaV

Shans,

No clue how I missed your post about your mishap. Sorry about what happened to you. Be careful dear. It is scary. Thank God dragging of your duppata dod not result in you falling down and be dragged. I am thankful to God for it. It is a true case of "thalaikku vandhadhu thalai pagaiyodu pocchu".

5. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

@ shan mam: Still not read your post on leg injury you faced....will come back after reading that, also thanks to God for escaping from major injury.....

6. ChandrikaV

Shans and AbhiSingh,

Tried baking banana bread ( my maiden attempt)....used the Indian store Atta, oil and baking powder. As suggested by AbhiSingh, made a small quantity. While it tastes good and very moist, it was cracked on the top, very dense but at the same time it crumbles when I slice. I hope you can understand as my writing does not make any sense to me. Wherever it looked cracked on the top, crumbled when I sliced. Now the trick question to the experts: what am I doing wrong?

1 person likes this.
  7. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy, thank you for bringing into notice about Satchi's mother.

Read about your incident. Thank God you aren't hurt dear. Take care.
    Love,
    EH

8. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

CV Mam: Well done and Congrats on the maiden bake:cheers. The first of anything will always be the best in our memories...:). Wishing you many more successful and yummiest bakes in the days to come.

Though I am nowhere near the experts category, I will try to find logical answers for the question(s)

1. Nothing went wrong as it tasted good and moist
    2. Banana cakes are usually moister than the others
    3. The cracks are due to the rising of the cakes after the crust (top layer) is formed. This might be avoided by reducing the temperature a bit or try to bake the cake in the middle rack, if you didnt do so. (if you notice my banana cake, you can see the cracks too, that is becos I baked it in a small toaster which has the heating elements very close to my bakeware and hence the crust formed very quickly before the cake was done)
    4. Cakes that are not made with all purpose flour are denser always.
    5. The crumbling might be due to the increased quantity of sugar or less amount of oil or less B powder/ B soda. Next time try to lower the amount of sugar and also add a pinch of Baking Soda.
    6. Also we need the cut the cake after it is cooled completely and with a serrated knife to get smooth slices.

Hope the above helps.

Shan might add some more to this, I think:)

Happy baking.:2thumbsup:

1 person likes this.
  9. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

:( Glad you are okay.

Reminds me of an incident. I was walking on the road and some guy riding on a moped hit me across chest, pulled my dupatta and went on. I had the dupatta pinned, so it did not come off, but one side got torn.
    Worst part was that a bunch of college guys walking along kept laughing at me and snickering until I was out of sight..#@!$#@!

10. ChandrikaV

Thanks for the lovely feedback. You and Shan are the main reason for this maiden attempt. I am ready to try again.....but will try with less sugar, little baking soda also next time. Thanks dear for encouraging and making my day!