1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shans,

i will try once I go back to States? Here I do not have anyone to share with. My DH does not eat sweets. So I will end up eating the whole thing. There in US, I have the option to distribute to friends........

3 people like this.
  2. ChandrikaV

Shans,

Did you fry the appams? Or used minimum oil as always?

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

2 people like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

had a brunch and will be leaving soon..

just posting a picture as i may join you all late night or maybe tomorrow if i have the time..

today it is a simple meal..I made a vegetable pulao for the kids. so it was kudiravali pulao for myself, with curds and that green sabji..is something that popped out of a recessed memory. though it is done with chana dal and more i just did add some spices and tossed it..

IMG_0855.JPG

i am sure you would have guessed it by seeing if not keep guessing..will catch you soon..

IMG_0857.JPG

2 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Pallavi, how did i miss giving you a fb.. i remembered while i was cooking my pulao. love the eating habits of a section of people in chennai has been revolutionised for around 6-7 years. with organic shops coming in, with workshops on cooking and eating healthy, there is a change for the better.

i know a street corner shop run by a iyer..that has kambu koozhu, kelvaragu koozhu, mor milagai, thogaiyal if you visit the small open stall..and yes neer mor from a mud pot. the place i have shifted is again full of more tambrahm so it is good to see a see-change.

and yes there is a aloevera juice centre in a small moving cart and there is a customer base for that shop.

and the menu definitely is lovely but don't you think we are all doing more here..look at all the variations across the recipe central..

i made samai sevai.

P.S. if you can do visit and give us your feedback. i don't visit hotels/restaurants without dh..

4 people like this.
  6. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Thank you Satchi. It tasted yummy too :)

CV mam, Thanks. He is better now. For the cakes try it by halving the quantities and make in 2 small pans, and as soon as it cools down keep 1 in fridge. Also adjust the sugar level down a bit so that your DH can take it. start with bake some breakfast rolls, butter rolls etc with minimal sugar.

GM dear. Same pinch, didnt know you were wide awake like me. if not would have called you. Somehow I badly wanted to talk with you about this and that. (around 1 am or so). Send me a cuppa...

2 people like this.
  7. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Friends!

Hope all are doing well....
    I started noting down my intake in a notebook too, so i can refer that too :)
    Today Snake gourd and sambar...

CV Mam,

I soak Dal for an hour and drain the water.
    Grind Dal, Redchilly, Sombu and salt, Later add chopped curry leaves.
    And Make a ball and steam it in idly pan, then i can add this to Vada curry by making it pieaces, and this one is also used in Urundai kuzhambu.

Some times i add the Vadai balls directly without steaming also for urundai kuzhambu alone, it will not dissolve if we keep in slow flame.

Rest in Next

2 people like this.
  8. ChandrikaV

Abhi,

thanks for your suggestion. I will try with a small quantity. Since baking is not forgiving like our stove top cooking, I am always worried about halving the recipe. But what am I going to lose? I will give it a try.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChandrikaV

Magee,

Thanks. Now I understand. Vada curry ..... i was thinking of something else. Looks like it is more like urundai kuzambu.

2 people like this.
  10. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

@ Magee, thanks for the vada curry recipe. We call it paruppu urundai kuzhambu
    @ CV mam: When I first started i did with small quantities in fear of wasting. they turned out to be ok. and as you said, trying is the best way to move forward than keep on wondering. (we are truly daring bakers ;), i shd say )

2 people like this.