1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My MIL keeps comparing with others.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by mithu202, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

2. I teach some things to my son, which is traditionally gal work- so to speak...picking up dishes, helping with laundry, my MIL does not like it, i know. And i give commentary that "mom u know how the gals will be of my son's generation, DIL will give me 'galis' if my son does not these things. And will think my MIL did not teach anything to my DH. And look at the world, cellphone, cyber....raising kids now a days is not easy at all. We have to pay so much attention unlike old days"

not that it changed her but she gets the message

1 person likes this.
  2. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

3. I admit, my MIl is a great cook, I learnt a lot from her. And she does it so effortlessly and for me, it is not the same. So any given day her food is much better in taste. I even taste my food before serving and she never does but hers is always the best. When they salt is less, chilly is more or not cooked properly (means it is over cooked, they need it not to smooshy yet well cooked, and i can't get it right ever)i just tell her...you are an expert, how do u do it. I tried ur way so many times, only sometimes comes out right.

that way i just tell her it is beyond my capapcity to cook the way she wants.

hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  3. jigisha321

jigisha321 Gold IL'ite

Ans 1. Ignore and hum some music-in front of her

Ans 2. Ignore and hum some music-in front of her

Ans 3: Ignore and hum some music-in front of her

You know what dear ? These things are done to provoke you..once you react you will get tagged as 'impolite'/'disrespectful',....pretend as if you are not hearing what she is blabbering..pick up a book..flick through magazine pages and then look up and say " Sorry..did not hear you..what were you saying ?"

When she comments about your daughter's weight..just reply as "A child needs to be healthy and active..not fat and sloth..thankfully my kid is just as I wanted her to be"..

Hope the above works for you...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Ignorance is the best medicine.
    Continue doing what ever work you are doing.
    Keep enjoying ur day.
    Don't show u are stressed.
    Don't show that you are stressed or sad which means she becomes successful.

1 person likes this.
  5. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

1. What do you do when your MIL keeps comparing you with others??

I was fed up of this and started comparing her with next door aunty who was self sufficient. Trust me it works!! :rotfl

2. What do you do when she praises herself about how she brought up her kid etc etc ??

Her "kid" is 31 now! I often said "don behave like a kid, you have been spoiled" in front of her to DH! Though that created world war III, it still was a dose to mil saying that she was not perfect as she says.

3. What do you do when she criticize your cooking that its not good and tasty??

Agree with her. Make her cook for some days. Say that you cook awesome and she ends up cooking all day. One fine day she says I am tired of cooking for you all, you should start cooking. That day, take full control of the kitchen!!

1 person likes this.
  6. mithu202

mithu202 Silver IL'ite

She has given the control of the kitchen to me, but she stands near me while cooking and gives me instruction do this do that.. :eek:mg:.

Eg : she gives me instruction like how to cut onion:bang

7. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mithu

I have couple of Ideas.

1. Ignore

2. Start comparing your MIL with Other Nice MIL.'s Say some MIL are very Nice they dont compare their DILs with Other People. My friend is so lucky to have a MIL like tat....etc.

That way she will have a taste of her own Medicine.

2 people like this.
  8. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

If you are permitted (in front of your hubby etc), you compare your MIL with the other old women of your family !

Tit for tat !

9. vidyamedapati

vidyamedapati Gold IL'ite

I ignorher when she calls and says sumthing,

as long as dh understand us , it better to ignore inlaws talks otherwise uncessary arguments crop into picture

10. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

Ignore and turn deaf! That's the best way! :exactly: